• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 100 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
True.

Because if this was a Tour de France stage, even with the route as it was, I'd still expect Pogacar to be at the front with his UAE team drilling it when he needs them & finishing with or close to the favorites, not 6 minutes down (even with what you say about the small punchy climbs).

So it's probably 3 issues rolled into one: the time of the season (September), the route & the way it's raced (full gas without the usual teamwork we see from pro teams around a GT leader).
In stage races these sorts of races have suuuch different results anyway, even a one day clown like Contador has dropped Boonen on the Muur van Geraardsbergen in Eneco Tour

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
In stage races these sorts of races have suuuch different results anyway, even a one day clown like Contador has dropped Boonen on the Muur van Geraardsbergen in Eneco Tour

Expectations work in reverse as well, i.e. every summer there's always literal surprise in France when Alaphilippe gets dropped like a stone on a cat 2 innocuous climb in the Tour de France.

But I still believe Pogacar can & will do well in one of these world championships some day, even on a parcours which doesn't technically suit him. I think both he & Roglic are way, way more adaptable than one day "clowns" like Alberto.

Expectations work in reverse as well, i.e. every summer there's always literal surprise in France when Alaphilippe gets dropped like a stone on a cat 2 innocuous climb in the Tour de France.

But I still believe Pogacar can & will do well in one of these world championships some day, even on a parcours which doesn't technically suit him. I think both he & Roglic are way, way more adaptable than one day "clowns" like Alberto.
Absolutely. Roglic put in a good shift in Amstel, which I would sort of consider the turning point from climby to rolling one day racing.

In this case, the WC is harder because of the Olympics extending their schedule after the Tour, and both going hard in the spring etc.

Pogacar I think could actually put in a decent shift in De Ronde, while I would think that sort of race is a bit too nervous and technical for Roglic.

Reactions: noob
Yeah slovenias were a mess. Seemed everyone was focusing on mohoric and when he was in the front group they all kinda backed off. Tratnik is a beast out there and his ride today earned mad respect.

Don't know the reason exactly but yeah no attacks given. Maybe just too long. My ass was up all morning stressed out.

Allaphillipe earned that gold. Mad respect for his ride today.

Yeah slovenias were a mess. Seemed everyone was focusing on mohoric and when he was in the front group they all kinda backed off. Tratnik is a beast out there and his ride today earned mad respect.

Don't know the reason exactly but yeah no attacks given. Maybe just too long. My ass was up all morning stressed out.

Allaphillipe earned that gold. Mad respect for his ride today.
I think Mohoric just missed his peak. He was flying in the Tour, then in Pologne, and then in Benelux.

Just wow another non finish today at Giro d'emilia.... meanwhile roglic wins. Really hoping this is saving it up for next week. Still doesn't really seem to be training to get there... was back in Urskas hometown all last week.

He needs vacations, it seems. This is not saving for Lombardia, he's simply off. Knowing his competition spirit he always tries to attack (even if not in top form). He doesn't finish out of top100 on purpose.

Seems out of form. Been a long season. Already fulfilled his targets and goals. He is still a young guy and winning the Tour, going directly to Japan and so on might have taken its toll more than we think.

Wasnt there something serious going on with his girlfriend mom also? Of course, that is something that could affect him deeply too.

Reactions: Sandisfan
His MIL is really ill right?

Probably just making up the numbers.

Yes MIL is sick... I mean she has been for a bit but I guess new therapy was done and they will see. To me its the only real explanation or something else like that to not be so focused if Lombardia is a goal. But who knows. Urska withdrew last race and has been home since so makes sense. Both haven't been in Monaco for over a month between races.
Also they got engaged just like a week ago. After the Olympics he's having a bit of an leisurely end to the season. But he did stat early with the UAE Tour in February, so it's not like he's not had his share of racing.

Fun fact:
He got caught by the broom car while doing a wheelie, thereby classified as DNF.

View: https://twitter.com/buonincontris/status/1444301129458896901
I mean they got engaged pre euros but just announced it like a week ago pre world's. I'm all about his chill and joking nature, always smiling.... but part of me sees it as compensating for either MIL issue or he truly is burned out. The burned out part seems more mental than physical... again he's not seriously training and hasn't been post olympics.

My question is does this make UAE uncomfortable considering it all happened post new top contract? Or is it all about future tours?

Personally as someone else mentioned, I'd just call it a year after his 2020-2021 pre and tour to tour stage. Hang out with my fiance and be there for her mom . From what I've gathered Urska doesn't have siblings or a father around so care may fall on her... unimaginable stress. Been there and it sucks.

But I don't see how UAE or his teammates are cool with the not really into it or at least working for other teammates. Not like others don't have personal drama.... but seems a bit entitled that pogi can do whatever and laugh it off popping wheelies by the broom car.

Again all for whatever, just wish he'd actually be able to hunker down and do it rather than sorta show up for races. We all know what he is capable of.... but I just hate to see someone with his grit go through the motions without full gas or focus.

I'm hopeful for lombardia but his physical ability from lack of training and focus compared to others isn't reassuring. Ultimately I'll be happiest knowing he's put in the time and effort to help urska out at home a bit.

Also think he's more focused on babies right now. Urska may disagree.... but he wants to be and would be a great dad... all the other top riders gave podium babies and I can tell he wants one to be on par

• Wow
Reactions: noob and Sandisfan
Maybe the situation with his mother in law could be impacting... although the fact he's doing wheelies during a race & larking about would suggest otherwise (sad people usually don't screw around for sh*ts & giggles). Maybe he's just finally catching up with his lost teenage years & decided to live a little? Or maybe he knew the race wasn't internationally broadcast so just didn't care (tinfoil hat on).

Also think he's more focused on babies right now. Urska may disagree.... but he wants to be and would be a great dad... all the other top riders gave podium babies and I can tell he wants one to be on par

I feel a savvy businessmen could have capitalized on this already, i.e. supplying podium babies for pro cyclists for the photo op. It's like Jack Haig in the Vuelta when a baby suddenly just landed in his arms (seemed that way) & he got on the podium photo. Each bike race could have a mobile nursery accompanying the final podium.

Stick some sponsorship on its diaper as well & job done.

Maybe the situation with his mother in law could be impacting... although the fact he's doing wheelies during a race & larking about would suggest otherwise (sad people usually don't screw around for sh*ts & giggles).

Yeah, being in a difficult family situation and doing wheelies just don't add up. However, Pogi looks like a guy who almost always smiles regardless of results so doing these wheelies is maybe kinda mask to hide his true mood.

I feel a savvy businessmen could have capitalized on this already, i.e. supplying podium babies for pro cyclists for the photo op. It's like Jack Haig in the Vuelta when a baby suddenly just landed in his arms (seemed that way) & he got on the podium photo. Each bike race could have a mobile nursery accompanying the final podium.

They could also have some older kids, for the funny antics. Like mini-Roglic at the Vuelta.

• Haha
Reactions: noob and Rackham
Yeah, being in a difficult family situation and doing wheelies just don't add up. However, Pogi looks like a guy who almost always smiles regardless of results so doing these wheelies is maybe kinda mask to hide his true mood.
Pogacar can choose to spend time with extended family in a difficult time without feeling extremely depressed himself.

Could just be as simple as having tough times in their personal life with Urskas mother very unwell but he finds it to be a release to be racing despite not training fully and being genuinely competitive to his standard.

If it helps him then I doubt UAE mind too much as another rider coming in to be the extra rider in these races would not get a meaningful result or add much to their chances anyway.

I think after all these years of full-gas competitiveness and the last three years especially he's now just enjoying his life / living his life, with family, some racing, some jokes. Not seriously in for results anymore, but racing because he's paid 5 or 6 million and the biggest star in his team. Totally fine. It's good for him. Just needs to get in serious racing mode again next year, but I think that's probably even easier if you take some more relaxed time now and then; if he would try to force it all the time when his body isn't in top shape anymore there's a chance he'd be burned out soon.

My reasoning is reading an article that came out around 2020 tour de france where his mother interviewed saying he was always the clown of the family trying to make light of bad times or arguments with siblings on the unicycle. But I mean despite how bad the mil situation may be, he still has a pretty great life and start with uae. Maybe he is just having a good time. But yeah I just wonder if that's not catching some heat fro. Uae and sponsors

• Wow
Reactions: noob and Sandisfan

Stick some sponsorship on its diaper as well & job done.

I mean maybe he's just holding off from podium until he can broker a deal for one. UAE will be on it in off season. And the mini Jumbo Visma, xander, was genius. That kid is a welcomed addition to my Instagram feed. Every rider should have. Mini version

Well looks like him and the same UAE crew from Emilia (Formolo, Hirschi, and Majka) are staying and training in Lombardia with UAE staff! Much higher hopes now, but looks like they are definitely having fun.

I wouldn't put too much thought into it. Pogačar is a relatively young cyclist and it would be strange to expect he can perform on the highest level through the whole season. He was building the right form during winter and through the spring racing campaign. Peaked in first week of the Tour. After that for people that pay close attention the form drop started to be detected. I feel that is rather normal for a cyclist in his position.

As for Il Lombardia. AFAIK he was training in Slovenia and likely he uses all the races as training session. Hence he still might be there at the finish with the best. We'll see.

I wouldn't put too much thought into it. Pogačar is a relatively young cyclist and it would be strange to expect he can perform on the highest level through the whole season. He was building the right form during winter and through the spring racing campaign. Peaked in first week of the Tour. After that for people that pay close attention the form drop started to be detected. I feel that is rather normal for a cyclist in his position.

As for Il Lombardia. AFAIK he was training in Slovenia and likely he uses all the races as training session. Hence he still might be there at the finish with the best. We'll see.
Yep he was training in slovenia with urska until world's, then went back until day before Emillia... but looks like he stuck around according to Formolo's Instagram and they've been team training since. Really it's the only team training with UAE hes don't since the tour so I'm pretty excited just to see that..
Urska posted she's done for the season and still back in slovenia where I'm assuming Tadej will join her after race. This may be his last chance for a while to have fun in a race before returning to deal with MIL situation so I'm sure he'll go as hard as he can to end.

TRENDING THREADS