• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 108 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If I was him / the team, I would probably go for a schedule similar to this year, because it seemed to work pretty well and there are a lot of races he can excel in and a few good preparation races as well. Next year, to avoid boredom, I would then try something new, or better, I would place two new minor races this year in his calendar already, but next year I would go for an actually different schedule. Maybe start later, don't do the UAE Tour, but put in Flanders...

If I was him / the team, I would probably go for a schedule similar to this year, because it seemed to work pretty well and there are a lot of races he can excel in and a few good preparation races as well. Next year, to avoid boredom, I would then try something new, or better, I would place two new minor races this year in his calendar already, but next year I would go for an actually different schedule. Maybe start later, don't do the UAE Tour, but put in Flanders...
UAE is not a minor race for his team.

I'd consider skipping Pais Vasco maybe. Would definitely not do Amstel unless I skipped that one.

I'd consider skipping Pais Vasco maybe. Would definitely not do Amstel unless I skipped that one.

Yeah, I know UAE is important for them, but it also seems a bit nonsensical to me to have this fact determine the start of the season for him each year. Not that he had problems with starting early, he still won Lombardia... but to leave it out could shake things up, which I think is usually necessary at one point if you are so dominant so young. Maybe Almeida (or someone else) has stepped up by then so far that he is missed but it's not a no-go not to send him there.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Yeah, I know UAE is important for them, but it also seems a bit nonsensical to me to have this fact determine the start of the season for him each year. Not that he had problems with starting early, he still won Lombardia... but to leave it out could shake things up, which I think is usually necessary at one point if you are so dominant so young. Maybe Almeida (or someone else) has stepped up by then so far that he is missed but it's not a no-go not to send him there.
UAE is end of February, it's not an early start.

yeah UAE as a race is probably the least satisfactory for him... limited climbs, warm dry weather etc. that said he's all about a challenge so doing well there... which of course he's going to be solicited to do above the rest of the season, is at least something different.

Skipping UAE probably means returning millions of $$$ to the sheiks. Not a good option for Pogi.
Skipping Pais Vasco makes sense - Roglic peaks for it and is planning to win 10 in a row.
not a matter of returning as much as not making them happy/ having something to claim internationally in business ventures. but i still hold this isn't pogi's kinda race. so to see him do well in it is a challenge outside his 'specialty. or at least a chance to try out team dynamics.

I think almost the same program.

If he would win a 3rd Tour, I dont think he is going Vuelta. Depends on how fresh he feels a week or so afterwards. There is a lot that comes with winning the Tour in the aftermath. Showing up to this and that. Interviews and so on. He is still young guy.

This year he did Olympics straight afterwards and was tired after that. Needed rest and recovery.

Was still in good form without doing Vuelta in the fall and peaked for Lombardia, executed perfectly.

Very nice article about him today on the front page

"The first time I saw Tadej Pogacar at the grand départ of the Tour de France in Brest; I recall how he rolled onto the stage to great fanfare, though not as great a fanfare as the Breton riders, of course. Even then, I had to remind myself that off the bike, Pogacar’s probably a normal 22-year old kid, liking memes, spending his time in WhatsApp chats and hanging out with his girlfriend. But when he’s on a bike, he’s someone - something - else entirely. "

The thing is we assume Pogačar could win two GTs per season. But he has not yet done two GTs in one season. Personally i am not 100% sure he will ride two GTs in 2022. Likely the outcome of the Tour will again determine if he will do Vuelta or not in 2022.

We don't know if will win both but he will try it at some point surely. He missed Vuelta over the last 2 seasons due to fatigue indeed but the circumstances weren't usual (backloading of races in 2020 due to COVID and Olympics just after the Tour this year). I think there is a decent chance he will try Vuelta this year (if he's not completely wasted after the Tour OFC), he can skip it again as well though.

Tadej says he's like an egg

I've only heard the whole podcast now. Some hilarious things going on there.

Pogacar basically tells Thomas (and the whole world) how to beat him, WTF? (promising to send details by SMS so that only G. really knew how to beat him). And then counter attacks asking when G. will win anything again, loool! Then one of the British guys mentions staying on the bike is essential to win (or something like this).
Some other gems as well: Pogi mentions that track riders (like Thomas) are too fat for climbing while the British guys mistaking Slovakia and Slovenia on purpose.

Last edited:
I've only heard the whole podcast now. Some hilarious things going on there.

Pogacar basically tells Thomas (and the whole world) how to beat him, WTF? (promising to send details by SMS so that only G. really knew how to beat him). And then counter attacks asking when G. will win anything again, loool! Then one of the British guys mentions staying on the bike is essential to win (or something like this).
Some other gems as well: Pogi mentions that track riders (like Thomas) are too fat for climbing while the British guys mistaking Slovakia and Slovenia on purpose.
Pogi trolling thomas :tearsofjoy:

• Haha