• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 109 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Tadej says he's like an egg

I've only heard the whole podcast now. Some hilarious things going on there.

Pogacar basically tells Thomas (and the whole world) how to beat him, WTF? (promising to send details by SMS so that only G. really knew how to beat him). And then counter attacks asking when G. will win anything again, loool! Then one of the British guys mentions staying on the bike is essential to win (or something like this).
Some other gems as well: Pogi mentions that track riders (like Thomas) are too fat for climbing while the British guys mistaking Slovakia and Slovenia on purpose.

Last edited:

Pogacar basically tells Thomas (and the whole world) how to beat him, WTF? (promising to send details by SMS so that only G. really knew how to beat him). And then counter attacks asking when G. will win anything again, loool! Then one of the British guys mentions staying on the bike is essential to win (or something like this).
Some other gems as well: Pogi mentions that track riders (like Thomas) are too fat for climbing while the British guys mistaking Slovakia and Slovenia on purpose.
Pogi trolling thomas :tearsofjoy:

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

Well the informations which Pogacar gave to the world how one can beat him, are informations which I also concluded following him and his results the last 2,5 years. Because me (and I think the majority of the people here) could conclude this, I think for the other teams this hasn´t been really usueful new information.

Yeah. What will likely happen in the future is. Basically each year to try to win the Tour. In case you win it then likely to not do another GT in that year. Not winning it likely opens up the possibility for two GTs for the next or in the same year. Likely Giro-Vuelta double for the next year. Still for that Pogačar would likely need to put some serious pressure on the team to let him do that. The team will likely always put pressure on him to win the Tour. In addition there will likely be some inner team pressure regarding cyclists like Almeida. If you are Roglič, Pogačar, Bernal ... then basically the team expects you will win the Tour. Bernal got a shot at Giro-Vuelta double as he basically cracked one year before and he needed to heal. If that wouldn't have happened likely Bernal would not ba a Giro winner as of yet. It would be expected of him to win the Tour.

Tour is a golden cage i guess. For cyclists of such caliber.

I see no reason why Pogacar ever has to ride two GT's in a season - He's talented enough to go close in any GT but more importantly he's a versatile rider who can win other races outside of GT's.

If he keeps on winning he may even have a shot at a GT record (or at joining Mercx and Hinault in exclusive double digit club). Riding two GTs per season will be worth trying then.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
If he keeps on winning he may even have a shot at a GT record (or at joining Mercx and Hinault in exclusive double digit club). Riding two GTs per season will be worth trying then.
He could get to double digits quite easily with only TdF wins at this rate. If I were him I wouldn't even think about doubling in either 22, 23 or 24.

He could get to double digits quite easily with only TdF wins at this rate. If I were him I wouldn't even think about doubling in either 22, 23 or 24.
I agree. But then I think about how invincible riders can seem for a year, two or three, but then so much can change. Either with your form/level of fitness or with a new stronger rider coming onto the scene. I really Thought that Contador would have more than 2/3 tours.

Assuming that Pogacar will still be in his prime when over 30 yo is risky. He reached top level very early and may well leave his prime before 30.
Plus there are other factors i.e. the competition, crashes etc. He has realistic chance at equalling or beating 5 but suggesting he can get 10 TdF is overkill (even next year is far from certain, Roglic has a decent chance to win it).

Last edited:
Personally I think there's more to cycling that just the Tour. It would look so much better on his palmares if he had all 3. Maybe he needs to get them on there sooner rather than later, as people have said, if there are injuries, illness, crashes or whatever that keeps him out of racing for a while he could miss out. Get all 3 in the bag then go all out to match/beat the records in the Tour, with the odd monument thrown in. I'm not asking for a lot. :D

I think next year is the perfect time to try and win the Vuelta. No matter what the outcome of to Tour is. WC does not suit him does it?), he has already won Lombardia, no Olympics etc. Nothing after the Tour that should be of any (big) interest for him.
And if he goes and wins the double, I'd think of The Giro 2023, depending of the profile of course...
He is young an it's hard to see someone beating him, but did anyone think that 2009 would be Contador's last TdF stage win?

I think next year is the perfect time to try and win the Vuelta. No matter what the outcome of to Tour is. WC does not suit him does it?), he has already won Lombardia, no Olympics etc. Nothing after the Tour that should be of any (big) interest for him.
And if he goes and wins the double, I'd think of The Giro 2023, depending of the profile of course...
He is young an it's hard to see someone beating him, but did anyone think that 2009 would be Contador's last TdF stage win?

The "problem" I see is if he just wants some time to recover after the Tour, if he wins it again. There is a lot of commitments and commercial aspects that comes with winning it. This year it was the Olympics instead straight after.

He still a young guy and Pogacar doesnt seem to only want to focus on riding GTs. He wants to win other races as well and he can win them.

We will just have wait to and I see how the season turns out :)

Last edited:
I think that Pogačar doesn't think about setting a GT wins record but if he wantsthat then it would be better to ride Giro-Vuelta or even Tour+one of the others for a couple of seasons because I doubt that someone that reached the top so young will be as strong as he is now at his 30s.

However I believe that he has his sights on the Tour record and also win the Giro and Vuelta once so for that he should still have plenty time.

Last edited:
Until Pogačar keeps winning the Tour i feel that one GT per season it is. Vuelta likely to happen the first time he won't win the Tour. As a cyclist of his caliber needs to try and secure a GT win per season. First Giro attempt likely to happen when he is a bit older or if his form would drop. But in this case the team would still likely make him ride the Tour first and to try the Giro next year.

The "problem" I see is if he just wants some time to recover after the Tour, if he wins it again. There is a lot of commitments and commercial aspects that comes with winning it. This year it was the Olympics instead straight after.

He still a young guy and Pogacar doesnt seem to only want to focus on riding GTs. He wants to win other races as well and he can win them.

We will just have wait to and I see how the season turns out :)

Oh, yeah. Certainly don't expect him to ride the Vuelta after the Olympics or before "suitable" WC.
Don't even want him to go to the Vuelta dead tired like Carapaz..
That's why at the moment 2022 looks like a great option. I certainly approve his approach going for different kind of races unlike Mas (maybe down to skillset) but as the things stay, another GT will add more to his legacy than second LBL or Lombardy or any other week long stage race.
Hence why Froome 2017-like build up would be perfect
However, one of the issues with the Vuelta might be the weather.

Until Pogačar keeps winning the Tour i feel that one GT per season it is. Vuelta likely to happen the first time he won't win the Tour. As a cyclist of his caliber needs to try and secure a GT win per season. First Giro attempt likely to happen when he is a bit older or if his form would drop. But in this case the team would still likely make him ride the Tour first and to try the Giro next year.
I think there is a chance for the tour - Vuelta double to happen first than the Giro-Tour double. Maybe next year since there are no Olympics. But going to the Giro is a big risk for any rider that has aspirations to win the Tour. If Pogacar decides to do the Giro you could see other teams sending strong teams to the Giro just to exhaust him. It could happen.

He wins the golden bike, the Vélo d’Or 2021

Growing his off-season belly

FE-ySn7XIAQujr0

Growing his off-season belly

FE-ySn7XIAQujr0

Now everything is clear: all in for Giro-Tour double. Pogi will be riding in grupetto during early-season mountain stages (making sheikhs angry during the UAE tour). He will need fat during the Giro as well to avoid an early peak, pretend to be Almeida's domestique and feel comfortable in cold stages. If everything goes well he will surpass the competition in the last Alpine stage or in the TT (when he achieves 80% of his form). At the Tour he will be flying OFC.