• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 117 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Agreed. Even though a total number of his race days isn't very high his schedule is very difficult regarding a large temporal spread of his objectives. I don't know if he will be able to keep form during the Vuelta, he may skip it again or target stages due to a form lapse.
I think the time is right to do the Vuelta after the Tour. He's had 3 years of riding a single GT, all podiums or wins, and last year there was the Olympics.

Now, with no Olympics or mountainious WC route, it's time to push the boundaries in GTs for Pogacar. Pressure on him to win will be lower if he wins the Tour regardless, and if he doesn't win he might salvage his season somewhat there.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think the time is right to do the Vuelta after the Tour. He's had 3 years of riding a single GT, all podiums or wins, and last year there was the Olympics.

Now, with no Olympics or mountainious WC route, it's time to push the boundaries in GTs for Pogacar. Pressure on him to win will be lower if he wins the Tour regardless, and if he doesn't win he might salvage his season somewhat there.

Obviously he has to attack two GTs at some point but his other objectives (spring classics, UAE Tour, Lombardia) don't make it easy. But then again, it's Tadej f**king Pogacar.

One question i have is from Pogačar point of view. Why should he do 2 GTs per season before he gets beaten on the Tour for the first time? What is the point?
To increase his standing among the greats of history: Merckx, Hinault, Indurain, etc. Plus youth is on his side. In theory he has another decade at the very top, perhaps longer. It's not a possiblity you want to throw away, because of risk, when history has established certain bars. He has the ability to win a classic (or two), the Tour and another GT (Giro or Vuelta) in the same season before he is 32. Given this, it would be a shame for the sport if he and his team didn't dare. Armstrong won 7 Tours straight. Yet there was always something lacking, irregardless of how things turned out in the end.

Even if he doesn't win the second GT, but wins the Tour, success is assured. And if he loses the Tour, there is no shame in winning the other GT. And if he wins neither, people will applaud him for giving it a solid go. Win-win situation. And given his age, he can still win more Tours than any other in history. The time is right to start seeking new feats, because later on it becomes more difficult.

Last edited:
I guess indeed there are different angles to take into consideration. Personally the biggest issue i see is the accumulated fatigue. Doing two GTs per year this early in your career likely will take a toll regarding your body and health on the long term. Hence until you can win the Tour, why complicate your life. Once you won't win the Tour for the first time. The situation will changes dramatically anyway. And it's not like Pogačar doesn't win other races in the same season. From legacy point of view i feel he is safe for now.

All in all it will be interesting to see the decisions made in 2022 season.

Reactions: Salvarani
I guess indeed there are different angles to take into consideration. Personally the biggest issue i see is the accumulated fatigue. Doing two GTs per year this early in your career likely will take a toll regarding your body and health on the long term. Hence until you can win the Tour, why complicate your life. Once you won't win the Tour for the first time. The situation will changes dramatically anyway. And it's not like Pogačar doesn't win other races in the same season. From legacy point of view i feel he is safe for now.

All in all it will be interesting to see the decisions made in 2022 season.
I don't see accumulated fatigue as a big risk now. At least he seems to show no signs of being overly taxed...to the contrary. Unless he proves to be another Fignon, who was for all intents and purposes just as precoscious, but then suffered an injury setback, then Pogacar has to strike while the iron is hot. He's already won 2 Tours by his 23rd birthday. It's natural for him and his team to contemplate a second GT during the season, as the greats of the sport always have done in the past. As he hits 25 to 30 years old he should reach his athletic peak. So if he really is as talented as his palmares has demonstrated thus far, then he shouldn't be too bothered by the added challenges. Otherwise, he just focusses on the Tour to win as many as possible to the sacrifice of everything else. Not only does this not seem to particularly inspire him, thankfully, but would be almost a waste of a rider's career with his talent IMHO.

Last edited:
If he feels good physically and is mentally up for it to go Vuelta after the Tour, then there shouldnt be anything stopping him from going if that is what him and the wants to do.

If he needs a rest after the Tour, then I hope that is what he will have.

So far they been making all the right decisions. Hope that continues.

Regarding the decision making. Here i feel the team has the say. The truth is
the team that is more or less oriented towards UAE Tour and Tour de France.

On expectations. If you can win the Tour then obviously the interested public expects more and more. This is rather normal. Another "problem" is if Pogačar would keep winning the Tour. For years to come. A sort of inflation effect would likely occur. And value would somehow start to drop. Like it has been seen many times in the history. Here again the expectations would start to grow. Oh c'mon can't you do more? Then just keep winning the Tour.

On health. Pogačar has a rather aggressive style of riding. Not just on GTs. Where he often goes deep in the red zone. And we read daily on how other big names in this sport have back, knee, hip ... injuries.

All in all it is reasonable to expect, from Pogačar, then if he does two GTs in 2022 season. He will try to win both. Now if he wins the Tour then in my opinion it doesn't make much sense to go after the double. But if he would still do that. Then on the plus side at least the cycling fans will get a good bargain. As what we know so far. Vuelta 2022 has the potential to be a rather prestigious GT.

As I said before, the decision of doing the Vuelta will essentially depend on how the season goes until then. If he manages to win the Tour again I can easily seeing him skipping the Vuelta and focusing in the Worlds and Il Lombardia however if he doesn't win the Tour and there is a good chance of that to happen given his rivals strength and covid then he should really go to the Vuelta even if he managed to win a monument on spring.

For next year, its would be really cool if he does the Giro and the Tour, as I think the Giro suits him better than the Vuelta and he actually talked about that possibility but I guess that will depend on his Tour reult this year and the routes.

@KZD

If Pogačar won't win the Tour this year then doing Vuelta will likely become a necessity indeed. Said that i still feel they should be rational about it. That is i do feel that Pogačar was rather empty last year. After the Olympics. In such situation doing Vuelta would likely be a bad decision. All in all i feel that the final decision will be made after the Tour. In local media the duo said something in the lines of for sure we are doing the Vuelta this year. In between the lines hinting that the final decision will get made after the Tour.

The sponsors dictate priorities, beyond which we can only hope that the Tour does not prevent great riders from attempting to win elsewhere, otherwise we arrive at something akin to the homogenization of the calander.

Sure, but I dont think this is relevant to Pogacar situation at the moment.

He has showcased to be doing the exact opposite to what you are saying. Targeting and winning many races so far. He has even said that he dont just want to go after the GTs and he has already proven that, more than enough.

I think only peaking and going for the Tour belongs in the Armstrong era and when Sky dominated completely.

I dont think it is doom and gloom, if he doesnt do the Vuelta this year. That he would somehow be chained to the Tour. He will hopefully have a long career with time to win both the Vuelta and Giro, among other races.

Reactions: Monte Serra
Sure, but I dont think this is relevant to Pogacar situation at the moment.

He has showcased to be doing the exact opposite to what you are saying. Targeting and winning many races so far. He has even said that he dont just want to go after the GTs and he has already proven that, more than enough.

I think only peaking and going for the Tour belongs in the Armstrong era and when Sky dominated completely.

I dont think it is doom and gloom, if he doesnt do the Vuelta this year. That he would somehow be chained to the Tour. He will hopefully have a long career with time to win both the Vuelta and Giro, among other races.
Well, he has already shown he is interested in the classics, winning Liege as he did in front of Alaphilippe, Valverde, Woods, etc. And this season he will be riding Flanders too IINM. Nothing though that detracts from focusing on the Tour. Indeed, going for the Vuelta after the Tour, really isn't much of a risk at all. He still gets to focus 100% on the Tour, before tackling the second GT. The real test will be tackling the Giro first and then winning the Tour too, perhaps with the Worlds thereafter, if the course is favorable.....if he succeeds, in this day and age, he belongs amongst the ranks of Merckx and Hinault.

Last edited:
Well, he has already shown he is interested in the classics, winning Liege as he did in front of Alaphilippe, Valverde, Woods, etc. And this season he will be riding Flanders too IINM. Nothing though that detracts from focusing on the Tour. Indeed, going for the Vuelta after the Tour, really isn't much of a risk at all. He still gets to focus 100% on the Tour, before tackling the second GT. The real test will be tackling the Giro first and then winning the Tour too, perhaps with the Worlds thereafter, if the course is favorable.....if he succeeds, in this day and age, he belongs amongst the ranks of Merckx and Hinault.

Ok, so hence your post is not relevant to what Pog is and has been doing as I was saying.

He is a great rider attempting to win many and different type of races over the whole season.

Tour may be the biggest target, and probably will be, for many seasons in the future. Maybe not every season, but probably most. It is not the only race he targets or try to peak for though, since he also wants to win other big races and has won them already. Maybe by that logic he is more than happy winning one GT, if he pulls it off and other races, than winning 2 GTs in the same year.

If Vuelta comes too close for him after the Tour and he is tired, then I rather not see him or them attempt it this year. Trying to do too much. What would be the point. If he is up for it then by all means he should go and try to win. Makes no sense making up all the plans now, not knowing how the season goes. Like someone else said if Tour doesnt go to plan, then Vuelta might become a necessity.

Last edited:
Ok, so hence your post is not relevant to what Pog is and has been doing as I was saying.

He is a great rider attempting to win many and different type of races over the whole season.

Tour may be the biggest target, and probably will be, for many seasons in the future. Maybe not every season, but probably most. It is not the only race he targets or try to peak for though, since he also wants to win other big races and has won them already. Maybe by that logic he is more than happy winning one GT, if he pulls it off and other races, than winning 2 GTs in the same year.

If Vuelta comes too close for him after the Tour and he is tired, then I rather not see him or them attempt it this year. Trying to do too much. What would be the point. If he is up for it then by all means he should go and try to win. Makes no sense making up all the plans now, not knowing how the season goes. Like someone else said if Tour doesnt go to plan, then Vuelta might become a necessity.
I don't get your initial statement, as the discussion has always been predicated upon what holds for the future, not past to current status.

You seem to be terrified (for him) of embarking upon the unknown. I doubt Pogacar harbors any such fear, however, while it would probably only be his sponsors getting in the way of him attempting the greatest feats in the sport to follow the current trend of safegaurding their investment for the Tour. But only a rider in his prime can achieve Olympus, the Giro-Tour double. So why not have a go at it before it's too late (such as Contador and Froome of late experienced).

I don't get your initial statement, as the discussion has always been predicated upon what holds for the future, not past to current status.

You seem to be terrified (for him) of embarking upon the unknown. I doubt Pogacar harbors any such fear, however, while it would probably only be his sponsors getting in the way of him attempting the greatest feats in the sport to follow the current trend of safegaurding their investment for the Tour. But only a rider in his prime can achieve Olympus, the Giro-Tour double. So why not have a go at it before it's too late (such as Contador and Froome of late experienced).

No, I just responded to "The sponsors dictate priorities, beyond which we can only hope that the Tour does not prevent great riders from attempting to win elsewhere, otherwise we arrive at something akin to the homogenization of the calander."

You dont have to be worried about that, since he has showcased no desire to be a rider solely going after the Tour.

I think we are misunderstanding each other....

I think it is great that he is going to some cobbles classics this year for example. Not knowing what he can do in those races, or if it is simply for prep. I hope not since he wants to race and make good results in pretty much any race he lines up for.

When I have said that he shouldnt do the Vuelta? Of course he can do it and if he would manage to win both the Tour and the Vuelta in the same year, it would be an incredible moment. Maybe that is what he wants to do already but he isnt gonna go at say that now, is he? Wouldnt be wise from a strategic standpoint and like I said. They might have a plan but even they dont or cant know how the situation will be not knowing the outcome of the Tour, his physical/mental status or how the season will unfold. He might crash and be out for all we know.

Last edited:
As much as it stinks when one rider/team dominates from a competitive standpoint, I am rooting for him to get a monument and do the double this year. Then he’d be doing something that we thought was highly unlikely. Heck imagine if he won multiple monuments and the double this year.

All I'm saying is, based on what he has demonstrated so far, strike while the iron is hot.

PS: johnymax has thrown down the gauntlet...but has Roglic missed the train due to age? At any rate, it is an interesting propsition, as Pogi only won in 20 because his compatriate had a bad day at the worst possible momment. Whereas last year tells us nothing, as Roglic crashed hard before abandoning as a result. But Pogi should be even stronger this year. Will Roglic be better than before to beat him?

• Wow
He should peak for UAE tour and T-A if he wants to win something this season. No chance in TdF or Vuelta for him against the Roglstomp this year, sorry Pogi.

Yeah, by now Primoz must have realized that there should be no more gifts to Tadej. However it can't be ruled out that he will miss the feeling of flying at some point in a GT, which gives hope to the youngster.

TRENDING THREADS