• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 181 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Thats going to be hard in the future. I think among Pogi fans the hope was that he will at least have the upper hand over skinny Vingegaard in TTs.

I was expecting even worse result from Pogi. It was clear that fatigue over all that attacking to get time back was getting to him. To be within half minute behind best TT rider on long stage 20 on ITT of this type was good performance from him.

Now, how Vingo almost got the win is another story. I thought he would cruise today since gap was not breachable without striking of some kind of disaster.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I would bet that Pogacar win no Tour on bonus seconds alone. He has to drop/have a gap to Vingegaard on some stage or another. Quite sure about that. If thats possible - we will see. Challenging at least.

The question is with better tactic and a full team, would he still have failed to suck Vingo wheel all the way up to the finish line during stage 11.
If Quintana lost 59 secs on that stage, I'm confident Poggie wouldn't have lost more than 20 secs on Vingo.

3 stage wins, 2nd overall, 2nd or 3rd points, 4th KoM, and white jersey is still an amazing race. Maybe with better racing on the faithful stage he could have lost less time and had to defend more enabling him to be closer but Vingegaard was most likely going to win with the stronger team. I hope he does go for the Vuelta just to see how racing to GTs is and then take it easy next year in not trying to win everything. Hopefully UAE can surround him with stronger support. Otherwise he’d need Ineos and Bernal to be in great form to help against TJV and Vingegaard. Like what was said in the Bernal thread, hopefully we get all 3 with Carapaz and Rolgic racing at their best. Actually get our version of Froome, Contador, Nibali, Quintana, and Valverde against each other like we hoped.

The question is with better tactic and a full team, would he still have failed to suck Vingo wheel all the way up to the finish line during stage 11.
If Quintana lost 59 secs on that stage, I'm confident Poggie wouldn't have lost more than 20 secs on Vingo.
No this is too simplistic. Quintana attack ahead and got almost a minute bonus. From the moment Vinge attacked to the finish he actually gained far more than 59s on Q. You're forgetting Quintana was ahead..

Seems like the new hierarchy is:
  1. Vingegaard
  2. Pogacar
  3. Roglic (pending health)
  4. Bernal (pending health)
  5. Hindley
  6. G
  7. Carapaz
  8. Landa

I respectfully disagree- Vignegaard clearly superior in this Tour. However if the question is 5 years down the line who will have most success in GT/stage races i still think Pogacar. His versatility and consistency in GTs and stage races is exceptional - this year
4 stage races- 3 wins and 1 second.

Nah no way, I think Pogi was as strong as last year. Only now Vingegaard got a bit stronger, was the leader from the start and had the better team at his disposal who rode absolutely brilliantly through 3 weeks, every man.
Pog said his power numbers were as good as ever. There isn’t much room to improve for either of them. This means it’s going to come down to team strength, tactics, and luck in the future.

No this is too simplistic. Quintana attack ahead and got almost a minute bonus. From the moment Vinge attacked to the finish he actually gained far more than 59s on Q. You're forgetting Quintana was ahead..

Naah, he lost a minute to Thomas, 47 seconds to Gaudu, was dropped by Yates. He was dropping all of them wherever he wanted, including Galibier before Grannon. Better pacing in that stage and he doesn't lose more than 30 seconds if any time at all.
That totally changes the race dynamic.

TRENDING THREADS