• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 495 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Good point! The thing I wonder is how hard the riders race is often a bigger factor than the parcours? The 2011 Giro had far more climbing than this years edition, but Contador also set that race alight attacking on almost every mountain. So now I wonder if Pogacar can curtail his natural desire to attack everywhere to conserve energy. Likely this won't make enough difference in July, assuming he does win the Giro. But I hope Pog can whet our appetite before inevitably fading in the 3rd week.It will be disappointing if he cracks early.
Contador's main problem was the lack of a good team. No one could control a stage in the 2011 Giro. The stage after Zoncolan (and it was supposed to be Crostis/Zoncolan but WW's death made an huge impact in cancelling Crostis) was Gardeccia and it was the most brutal stage we have seen in the last 20 years. Contador was completly alone against his opponents already on Piancavallo. The peloton was shattered in pieces with more than 200 km to the finish line. We won't see this again, specially because Zomegnan is out.

Last edited:
Today, there was an interview with Andrej Hauptman in Slovenian media. Here is the part where he's talking about Tour-Giro balance (AI translated):

Question: We're back to the question that we and probably you yourself have asked many times last year, namely, how and to what extent should we slow Tadej down? On the one hand, if you don't slow him down, he goes full throttle in every race, he often wins, he's exceptional, in Catalonia, for example, he once again outclassed the competition. On the other hand, the more energy you spend, the less you have left for later. This year, when he decided to ride two Grand Tours, and there is not much time between the Giro and the Tour, it seems that this will be very important. How do you find the balance in this?

Answer: As we have said before, the most important thing is that the athlete is motivated. This drives him forward. Victories are confirmation. So why would you hinder someone if they are achieving victories at the highest level? Considering that Tadej is able to maintain a high level throughout the season, we strive to keep him in top shape for as long as possible. However, I can tell you that it was not the goal for Tadej to be in top form at the Tour of Catalonia.

Question: Will Tadej also race the Giro in such a way that he will try to win 21 stages and also the overall classification, or will he have to be more tactical?

Answer: A three-week race is different. It requires a different approach. Every bit of energy you save or spend makes a difference in the end. However, it is true that when Tadej sees an opportunity to win, he wants to take it. Ultimately, this also applies to other top cyclists who have a lot of wins. I believe that is the right thing to do. If you can win, you have to do everything to bring the victory home, considering that the whole team works to get you to the finish of the stage in the best possible position. Our goal is not to win a lot of stages at the Giro, but of course the goal is for Tadej to reach the finish in the pink jersey.

Question: The goal is for him to arrive in Rome in the pink jersey and probably also in a condition that allows him to prepare optimally for the Tour. This is probably a state where he would not be drained to the last atom of strength.

Answer: You have to realize that in order to win a race at the highest level, we can't try to conserve energy. First, we have to be very focused on doing the Giro as well as possible, and then we'll think about how to best rest and focus on a new cycle of the season.

Hauptman is totally right.

So much can happen in 21 stages that makes it foolish to think about planning to conserve energy before even starting the race.

IMO we can dream all we want, but the main reason Pogi is doing the Giro is because the team wants a GT wins this year.

Of course they'll do their best to do the double, and I think Pogi has a chance, but the reality is that it is first a money calculation.

Giro alone makes more money than Flanders + LBL + 2nd at TdF.

Last edited:
Hauptman is totally right.

So much can happen in 21 stages that makes it foolish to think about planning to conserve energy before even starting the race.

IMO we can dream all we want, but the main reason Pogi is doing the Giro is because the team wants a GT wins this year.

Of course they'll do their best to do the double, and I think Pogi has a chance, but the reality is that it is first a money calculation.

Giro alone makes more money than Flanders + LBL + 2nd at TdF.
Poggi wants to win all and every important race. And now it's a good time doing the Giro.

Poggi wants to win all and every important race. And now it's a good time doing the Giro.
Exactly, think hes stated this he literally wanne win all monuments. all 1 week stage race and all GT theres nothing more facny to it than that.

He is official a cannibal. Should change the thread name to hannibal lecter or the new cannibal , or just cannibal or something.

Contador's main problem was the lack of a good team. No one could control a stage in the 2011 Giro. The stage after Zoncolan (and it was supposed to be Crostis/Zoncolan but WW's death made an huge impact in cancelling Crostis) was Gardeccia and it was the most brutal stage we have seen in the last 20 years. Contador was completly alone against his opponents already on Piancavallo. The peloton was shattered in pieces with more than 200 km to the finish line. We won't see this again, specially because Zomegnan is out.
That was a great stage to watch.

Tejay van Garderen, sports director of EF Education-Easy Post, has harshly criticized Tadej Pogacar after his exhibition on the Volta a Catalunya. On the NBC Sports Cycling show, the former American cyclist discussed with Christian Vande Velde about the superiority of Slovenian. "To be honest, it made everyone look like children. It was a bit frustrating.""
"He obviously wants to win and he should win because he's the best in the world, I understand it, but it was a predictable conclusion and you've got people 10 minutes on the getaway, and yet his team keeps them a minute away because he wants to win again," van Garderen said on the program.

Tejay van Garderen, sports director of EF Education-Easy Post, has harshly criticized Tadej Pogacar after his exhibition on the Volta a Catalunya. On the NBC Sports Cycling show, the former American cyclist discussed with Christian Vande Velde about the superiority of Slovenian. "To be honest, it made everyone look like children. It was a bit frustrating.""
"He obviously wants to win and he should win because he's the best in the world, I understand it, but it was a predictable conclusion and you've got people 10 minutes on the getaway, and yet his team keeps them a minute away because he wants to win again," van Garderen said on the program.

What a crybaby Tejay is.

Considering that every cyclist, every team and every sponsor of a team want to win, this seems like such a bizarre statement. Perhaps it was taken out of context.

Personally, I don't mind dominance; I was an Ole Einar Bjørndalen fan. However, as Pogačar begins targeting races not yet won/started, the likelihood increases that those races are less suited to his physiology and specifics. Add to that any potential injuries and/or decreased motivation as well as aging, inevitably and there is no telling how long this period of perceived dominance will last.

Not winning the TdF for two years rather supports my reasoning, but nonetheless I shall take my cue from Cato the Elder or his opponent Corculum and end (all my posts?) by declaring that I could care less about the TdF. Or: GOAT. That works, too.

Reactions: KZD

What's funny is that Vingegaard never really seems to get the same amount of criticism despite doing something similar in several stage races.

Reactions: SHAD0W93