• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 548 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Who on that list would even have had a chance of winning Zuri-Metzgete? You can't really blame Pogacar - or other current riders - for never having won a race that ceased existing before they even became pros.
Well two of them actually won it: Bettini won it twice and Rebellin once.
Meanwhile Kuurne wins were counted for Boonen and Sagan.
Zurich was at least twice the race Kuurne is, if not more...

Reactions: Monte Serra
I think the first stage of the Giro will indicate the approach Pogacar is going to take. He could win it solo, probably easily, but he might chose not to. Immediately in pink, immediately having your team have to ride for the rest of the Giro. It’s easier to just keep calm in the beginning. Will also help for TDF preparation.
It will be interesting. Very difficult to ride as training if you’re chasing down breaks and controlling the pace as leader jersey. But it may be more about the team not riding as training. Probably have to analyze if pogi needs any of these guys in July.

Anyone listen to the cycling podcast Giro preview? They had an interview with the UAE head of performance.
I was listening as I go to sleep so its a bit foggy, but quite interesting.

He lost the tour in 2022 because he missed a feed and was double teamed by Rog and Jonas. (If this is true why wouldn't riders have a gel or 2 taped to their bike in case of emergency?)

New coach, Dr. Inigo Zone 2 has been canned and now Pog is doing way more intensity and better understanding and training the ability to do mega power after a long day of calorie depletion and workload and said this was evidenced by his long attacks in Strade and Liege.

My main takeaway was look the f0ck out next week

Anyone listen to the cycling podcast Giro preview? They had an interview with the UAE head of performance.

He lost the tour in 2022 because he missed a feed and was double teamed by Rog and Jonas. (If this is true why wouldn't riders have a gel or 2 taped to their bike in case of emergency?)

New coach, Dr. Inigo Zone 2 has been canned and now Pog is doing way more intensity and better understanding and training the ability to do mega power after a long day of calorie depletion and workload and said this was evidenced by his long attacks in Strade and Liege.

The propaganda around Pogacar is running wild everywhere. They are doing a great job this season.

I think most of this is just talk for the sake of talk. Would be nice to see the obsession with Zone 2 die down a bit though so maybe they can keep that narrative going.

Here I was, thinking most of them didn't turn pro until after 2000... silly me; we're including junior years.
I suppose Pogacar could even have ridden the "last 100 metres" kid's race doing a vacation with his family.
Do you know when this race was last held?
We‘re talking about Zurich, right?
FS1.jpg

Yeah, we can't wait to see Pogacar smashing Lutsenko and Pozzovivo in the Giro! The GOAT!

Everybody and their grandpa knows that Teddy Merckx aka the GOAT is gunning for the Giro so only stage-hunters are left in the race. They are hoping for a tired Teddy at the Tour but the true is that only Skeletor had a 1% chance to beat him there (I'm being generous here) and the rest has big fat 0.

For saying that we should go back on topic, rather than continue talking about some random non-relevant race?
Just because Samuel Sanchez won it, doesn't make it important...

I'm not sure I would even have become a fan of him if he hadn't won that race, although his other results towards the end of the 2006 season also played a part in my decision to root for him.

Reactions: QueenStagiaire
Everybody and their grandpa knows that Teddy Merckx aka the GOAT is gunning for the Giro so only stage-hunters are left in the race. They are hoping for a tired Teddy at the Tour but the true is that only Skeletor had a 1% chance to beat him there (I'm being generous here) and the rest has big fat 0.
Pogacar honoring merckx by beating farmers in every race he enters in the last months!