• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 558 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Probably took a bit of a breather between LBL and the Giro. Your form temparily goes down a bit as but it the rest pays off as you get back into racing.
its all been stated. Hes racing the giro as a training block per Uae bosses long before it started. So ofcourse naturally he will only grow into it and the goal is to win and go out of it fresh and stronger than he was going in and fresh and build on that to the tour. Thats the UaE goal if it goes according to their plan.

Probably took a bit of a breather between LBL and the Giro. Your form temparily goes down a bit as but it the rest pays off as you get back into racing.
Was n't there talk abot training at the Giro? After Vingegaard's crash I think UAE really thought that Teddy can do the double barring accidents. The crazy strong UAE team for the Tour won't be needed so much or might be changed. We'll see.

Pogi didn't look at his best today. 27 seconds is not as much as I expected and he looked a lot stronger in Catalunya. Was surprising to see O'Connor following him too
You have all the right to think this (personally I agree) but you ruin all your credibility when you say O'Connor was able to follow him. Dude, he completly exploded after trying to follow Pogi.

Because they put the 30 extra km in? Other than that it was copy/past of last time he won.
So now we are going to debate whether 80km solo is expected or not? I’m sorry but I’m not doing that… You go and dig out how many times an 80+ km solo was successfully done in modern cycling. It doesn’t even need to be with 3 min advantage in the end. And then we can discuss how expected or unexpected it is…

Reactions: kn0s and SHAD0W93
Nice Giro start for Pogačar with a stage win and a 45 second gap to the nearest rivals. I also think some users are overreacting a bit to what happened today. Pogačar was still head and shoulders above anyone else, a 27 second gap is actually very large for a climb like Oropa which is far from being the hardest climb of this Giro especially after coming from a bike change before the climb itself.

This is also not the kind of climb where we should realistically have expected a big improvement from Pogačar as he was always a beast in these 15-25 minute climbs anyway. The areas where Pogačar could in theory improve more are the 30min+ climbs, especially at altitude, recovery and time trials and according to some, like mou, this is exactly where he put his focus on for this season, so to get a more clear picture, we will need to wait for stages 7 and 8 and to get the full picture we will have to wait for the Tour unless someone steps up big time in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
So now we are going to debate whether 80km solo is expected or not? I’m sorry but I’m not doing that… You go and dig out how many times an 80+ km solo was successfully done in modern cycling. It doesn’t even need to be with 3 min advantage in the end. And then we can discuss how expected or unexpected it is…

I get that saying the number "80km" makes it seem unlikely, but with the aid of just a little hindsight, it was not that far fetched.

Him saying he would do it, even if it was a little in jest to start with
The way the race is planned, with just more of the same added compared to last time.
The (for Pogi) underwhelming competition.
Sometimes a number is just a number, still crazy impressive but so was his last win.

Nice Giro start for Pogačar with a stage win and a 45 second gap to the nearest rivals. I also think some users are overreacting a bit to what happened today. Pogačar was still head and shoulders above anyone else, a 27 second gap is actually very large for a climb like Oropa which is far from being the hardest climb of this Giro especially after coming from a bike change before the climb itself.

This is also not the kind of climb where we should realistically have expected a big improvement from Pogačar as he was always a beast in these 15-25 minute climbs anyway. The areas where Pogačar could in theory improve more are the 30min+ climbs, especially at altitude, recovery and time trials and according to some, like mou, this is exactly where he put his focus on for this season, so to get a more clear picture, we will need to wait for stages 7 and 8 and to get the full picture we will have to wait for the Tour unless someone steps up big time in the coming weeks.
In the absence of a Vingegaard, he doesn't need to improve here on 30+ climbs, and in the absence of an Evenepol here, he doesn't need to improve on his time trials.

Fos

Apr 11, 2024
Visit site
He himself said that the objective was to arrive in Rome fresh, and that today in the attack (without a potentiometer) he touched the red a little and dedicated himself to regulating the second half. He could have gone faster? Sure, but for what and at what cost?

Reactions: Sandisfan
Of course, but who knows if he will even need it for the Tour this year.
Indeed.

At the moment it looks like he should focus on winning the Giro whilst using as little energy as possible. Rather then trying to improve some nonexistent weakness. I seriously doubt Vingegaard will be there and I don’t see him as weaker than even peak Roglic in any way.

Indeed.

At the moment it looks like he should focus on winning the Giro whilst using as little energy as possible. Rather then trying to improve some nonexistent weakness. I seriously doubt Vingegaard will be there and I don’t see him as weaker than even peak Roglic in any way.
Pog has the best chance for the double possibly now.