• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 605 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
No Majka for the Tour? He isn't the strongest climber overall but he's very consistent and experienced.
I think Yates will basically act as Majka in the Tour. He did very well last year protecting/launching Pog as the last man and recovering fairly quickly to be able to assist again, when Pog/Vinge where marking each other.

Soler/Almeida should be improvements on Novak/Grosschartner.

They have one more climbing option in Sivakov, compared to Molano.

Politt/Wellens instead of Bjerg/Laengen.

Interesting part is how Ayuso will be used. Does he get to do his own thing to win the Youth Jersey or will he be used to on a couple of key stages to put serious pressure on the others before a Pog attack? Maybe both.

Mar 20, 2024
Visit site
his hometown today

pog.jpg

I think Yates will basically act as Majka in the Tour. He did very well last year protecting/launching Pog as the last man and recovering fairly quickly to be able to assist again, when Pog/Vinge where marking each other.

Soler/Almeida should be improvements on Novak/Grosschartner.

They have one more climbing option in Sivakov, compared to Molano.

Politt/Wellens instead of Bjerg/Laengen.

Interesting part is how Ayuso will be used. Does he get to do his own thing to win the Youth Jersey or will he be used to on a couple of key stages to put serious pressure on the others before a Pog attack? Maybe both.
I think the only freedom Yates and Ayuso both get is to keep going to the line after they've done their job for Pogacar.

I agree on Pogacar in 2023, I think the combination of minor illness/stomach issue and the crash explain his collapse much better than "not enough training" when he missed some training in the exact period where he'd take it the easiest.

For Vingegaard the problem I see isn't that he just has a limited time to get to his peak level, it's that the position he needs to recover from is gonna be much worse than what a Contador had to do in 2014. He wasn't at Tour level in Itzulia, he was near the end of his first racing block, and he spent a very significant amount of time so immobile it's gonna detrain very quickly.

The question is basically now if a rider can basically go from something similar to untrained December shape, which mind you is much better these days, to his very best level in about 6 weeks of training.

I don't think this is similar to injuries where the form is there and you just need to heal from the injury quickly and them bum rush a quick high intensity block. To me it's more similar to Evenepoel flailing around in his first Giro or Roglic getting surgery in late 2022 with Jumbo thinking he may not reach top shape by the Giro months later.

If anything, the idea that Vingegaard can be competitive at the Tour goes against just about everything I've learned about pro level training
Yeah I mostly agree. I'm also having a hard time seeing how this preparation can be good enough to get into Tour shape, but I also really don't know sh*t about sports medicine and pro training. His team seems to have believe that he can make it. Maybe they also don't believe in beating Pogacar in top shape, but if they believe in beating Roglic and Evenepoel that's good enough for me. Pogacar with the Giro in his legs is still a bit of an unknown. Contador was significantly weaker in the Tour during his double attempts, Quintana in 2017 was a complete catastrophe. This Tour has way more unknowns than just Vingegaards recovery so I can't count him out.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Yeah I mostly agree. I'm also having a hard time seeing how this preparation can be good enough to get into Tour shape, but I also really don't know sh*t about sports medicine and pro training. His team seems to have believe that he can make it. Maybe they also don't believe in beating Pogacar in top shape, but if they believe in beating Roglic and Evenepoel that's good enough for me. Pogacar with the Giro in his legs is still a bit of an unknown. Contador was significantly weaker in the Tour during his double attempts, Quintana in 2017 was a complete catastrophe. This Tour has way more unknowns than just Vingegaards recovery so I can't count him out.
My interpretation is that it's much more of a "Tour is lost any result is a bonus" shot with the Vuelta in mind. To me it's a rush to be in a race worthy condition, not a TdF winning condition. The other side of the picture is just Visma getting a lot of publicity out of Vingegaard training.

And I'm extremely bullish on Pogacar. He's not gonna be any worse than this Giro

The lack of training is the basis, I believe, no one wants to go to a Tour starting to train well in June. If this had not affected the concentrations at altitude in May they are a waste of time.
And yet he didn't reached on this Giro the numbers he produced last year in the Tour de France when he clearly improved from 2022 to 2023 in terms of climbing level.

So, that take doesn't fit right with what happened on the road. Plus, it doesn't make sense thinking he had just one bad day in 21 days(he was already good 2 days after in the vosges) because of preparation, since he also had a bad day in 2022. It was public that he crashed in the stage and had stomach issues.

Pogacar climbing level in the Tour 2023 was is best version ever, and it was with San Millan.

Rou

Mar 20, 2024
Visit site
Pog's weight at the Giro is at most 65 kgs. This means he did 6.92 W/Kg for 15 min 31 secs in the last 5.7 kms of Grappa. Nice training ride for the Tour where he is supposed to be 1 kg lighter.
Special present for @Froome and for the bald fraud San Millan.

Pog's weight at the Giro is at most 65 kgs. This means he did 6.92 W/Kg for 15 min 31 secs in the last 5.7 kms of Grappa. Nice training ride for the Tour where he is supposed to be 1 kg lighter.
Special present for @Froome and for the bald fraud San Millan.
No, he didn’t.

View: https://x.com/ammattipyoraily/status/1794457699419058321

The weight of Pogacar or any other rider, is irrelevant. The comparation between perfomances is in a padron weight. Ammattipyoraily uses always "65"kg. LR guys "60 kg".

Rou

Mar 20, 2024
Visit site
No, he didn’t.

View: https://x.com/ammattipyoraily/status/1794457699419058321

The weight of Pogacar or any other rider, is irrelevant. The comparation between perfomances is in a padron weight. Ammattipyoraily uses always "65"kg. LR guys "60 kg".
Did I mention any W/KG estimations from Ammattipyoraily or LR? I just gave you his average power - 450 W, his average speed and the duration and length of the segment. I also gave you his race weight. You do the simple maths and you get the result. It's not hard, mate.

Did I mention any W/KG estimations from Ammattipyoraily or LR? I just gave you his average power - 450 W, his average speed and the duration and length of the segment. I also gave you his race weight. You do the simple maths and you get the result. It's not hard, mate.
I'm not interested in what you give. I'm more interested in the data of ammattipyoraily who is more reliable.

Mou said he could win all races the next four years.
Not all races, ciciban races like Sanremo weren't included.
Pog will not lose the Strade Bianche, all the one-week races, all the grand tour races he competes in, Lombardy, Liège and Flanders in the next 4 years, so much for that, the power profile I have about Pog speaks for itself and you say what you want