• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tadej Pogačar discussion thread

Page 622 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I would not compare stage 1 with Liège.
I wouldn‘t necessarily either, but realistically it‘s still his best shot at doing something to his podium rivals. He could count on the ITT and wheelsucking, but it would not be a promising strategy. This stage is definitely similar to Clasica San Remco, which he‘s also good at and which would favor him over Roglič, possibly.

Sorry for derailing the thread

• Haha
Reactions: AmRacer
I mean a pony is good and all, but what are they going to do with it?

Wellens seems to have some ideas.

full

If the link doesn't work:

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/C8M5kkpM5T8/?igsh=M21laDc3OTR1ZWR3

Yoseba Elguezabal (UAE staff, masseur) pictured patting a metal stag with the text: Con mi amigo.

Tim Wellens comment: Tomorrow we put your amigo on the BBQ.

Last edited:
I wouldn‘t necessarily either, but realistically it‘s still his best shot at doing something to his podium rivals. He could count on the ITT and wheelsucking, but it would not be a promising strategy. This stage is definitely similar to Clasica San Remco, which he‘s also good at and which would favor him over Roglič, possibly.

This is not a classic, but the first stage of the TdF. Would be different if it was stage 15 or something, but its not. Everyone's fresh and this is their biggest target, and Pog and UAE are not just gonna sit there and do nothing. Also Remco magically finding legs to pull of a stunt like that is highly inprobable because god knows you need incredible legs to actually do something like that this early on a stage like this.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Yeah, peak Pantani is the ultra mythical climber. Still want to see how much time will last his AdH climbing record.
I think as long as there are tactics involved, the climb just can’t be taken full gas from bottom to top by the GC contenders. There’s always gonna be some calculation, waiting for the optimal moment to attack etc. while Pantani had no such worries in 1995 since he wasn’t a true GC contender and could afford to go all in (and possibly fail).

That's true but the thing is even if a stage looks like a certain classic. They never ride it the same way.

In a GT if your goal is a GC you want to waste as little energy as possible unless you know you can take minutes AND have enough energy/strong team to maintain these minutes in the following stages.