• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Tao Geoghegan Hart discussion thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He will try, but I think he will need a couple of the others to come good in the final week to help put some pressure on Sunweb. That’s if Wilco avoids a bad day of course.
He's got an amazing team for an ambush though. Imagine having two of Ganna, Dennis and Castroviejo after the descent of Monte Bondone in stage 17...

Sunweb has the best climbing team, but Ineos is the best overall.

Reactions: Pricey_sky
He's got an amazing team for an ambush though. Imagine having two of Ganna, Dennis and Castroviejo after the descent of Monte Bondone in stage 17...

Sunweb has the best climbing team, but Ineos is the best overall.
They probably won't ( and I don't know how good Tao is in descents ), but they should seriously test Kelderman in the descents. Kelderman has not shown to be a great bike handler.

The interesting thing about Tao is that he's clearly looked good for most of the race at this point, he's regularly been looking to get up the road and animate things.

It could be really fun if Ineos think he's good enough that they want to try steal the win but I suspect everyone involved would be pretty chuffed if he podium'd having come here to dom so I won't be surprised if they take a fairly conservative approach and hope to cement that + nab another stage win along the way.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Yeah, I guess I need to reflect a bit more on Tao's performance and keep it in perspective. Hindley was right there, after all--not knocking Hindley, but he's no Pogi (yet).
The question is, does he even want to go for the GC?

Just because Carlton Kirby is acting like an excited schoolgirl over the prospect doesn't mean Hart himself is even going to make an attempt.

Edit: Rob Hatch, not Kirby *facepalm *

Last edited:

Just because Carlton Kirby is acting like an excited schoolgirl over the prospect doesn't mean Hart himself is even going to make an attempt.
He's been climbing the GC ladder pretty steadily ever since the start (which is easy enough when you finish 126th in the opening TT, I suppose). They could nurse him safely through the final week to a top 10, which you'd have to say he looks comfortably set for, or they could try and set him up for a proper crack on one of the upcoming stages at getting onto the podium or better. Ineos have won 5 stages, they're pretty much locked in for a 6th on stage 21, so this race has already been a qualified success for them; at this point, a solid top 10 finish really doesn't add much value to this Giro for them, or for TGH.

From Tao's side of things, it's likely he'll never get a better chance to win a GT than this. I'd question the hunger of a pro cyclist, of any cyclist, who was in his current position, not thinking, "I can take this, y'know."

Reactions: SafeBet

Kirby isn’t even commentating on the race is he? He did Flanders and is doing the Vuelta.

I think if the legs continue to feel good, he should go for it. It’s a long shot and Sunday’s form might not be repeated, but given this strange year and most of the top-tier riders not being here, it may be his only shot.

TRENDING THREADS