• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Targets of grand tour riders in 2020

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So

Giro: Fuglsang, Bardet, Nibali, Pogacar, Haig (?)

Tour: Buchmann, Froome, Bernal, Valverde, Mas, Pinot, Domulin (?), Quintana (?), Lopez, S. Yates (?)

Vuelta: Valverde; Nibali
Add Carapaz to the Giro list, Roglič to the Tour list and Mas and Bardet to the Vuelta list, the (?) to Bernal that was very elusive and also to Pogacar because nothing is decided yet and take out the (?) from Quintana, the only doubt is the wildcard, if given he will be in France.

On lesser names we know that Latour and Gallopin will be the GC surrogate of Bardet for the Tour, Barguil will be for sure with Quintana in France and Calmejane has stated his desire to go to the Giro.

Add Carapaz to the Giro list, Roglič to the Tour list and Mas and Bardet to the Vuelta list, the (?) to Bernal that was very elusive and also to Pogacar because nothing is decided yet and take out the (?) from Quintana, the only doubt is the wildcard, if given he will be in France.

On lesser names we know that Latour and Gallopin will be the GC surrogate of Bardet for the Tour, Barguil will be for sure with Quintana in France and Calmejane has stated his desire to go to the Giro.

Mas going to the Vuelta is expected (he's not going the GIro). It's likely he'll be at the Vuelta as co-leader with Valverde. The question with Movistar now is where are they sending Soler.

It sounded like UAE is unlikely to send Pogacar to the Tour, but no one has said anything official.

Update:

Giro: Fuglsang, Bardet, Nibali, Pogacar(?), Haig (?), Carapaz

Tour: Buchmann, Froome, Bernal (?), Valverde, Mas, Pinot, Domulin (?), Quintana , Lopez, S. Yates (?), Roglic, Barguil, Latour, Gallopin

Vuelta: Valverde; Nibali , Mas, Bardet

Normally, it is really time that Gaudu gets a chance as a GT leader.

But I think FDJ´s main target for the next year will be to attack yellow at the tour de france with Pinot, which is really designed for him. And Gaudu is the most important team mate for Pinot to support him. So I think FDJ wants Gaudu in full strenght at the start of the tour. Perhaps after the tour the team will let him lead the Vuelta, but I think the tour has much more importance then any other race for FDJ next year.

Normally, it is really time that Gaudu gets a chance as a GT leader.

But I think FDJ´s main target for the next year will be to attack yellow at the tour de france with Pinot, which is really designed for him. And Gaudu is the most important team mate for Pinot to support him. So I think FDJ wants Gaudu in full strenght at the start of the tour. Perhaps after the tour the team will let him lead the Vuelta, but I think the tour has much more importance then any other race for FDJ next year.

Agree. If Tibo was to actually win they could do whatever they wanted from here to forever and no one would question it

Agree. If Tibo was to actually win they could do whatever they wanted from here to forever and no one would question it

Is it not a little more complicated than that with Gaudu moving into the final year on his contract? I very much doubt there’ll be a shortage of interested teams over the next few months. I guess that’ll depend on his character and whether he wants to be Tibo’s helper or whether he wants to start looking at being the big guy, winners have been getting younger with Bernal, Remco etc, so I suspect that won’t have gone unnoticed.

According to Movistar the only rider currently that has the basis of his calendar for next year is Valverde. They said they will start finalizing certain races for other riders when they meet for the team presentation in Dec. They have only said that Mas will be going to a Grand Tour but haven't said which one when directly asked. After their team presentation we should get a better idea of what their plans for Mas and Soler are.

Is it not a little more complicated than that with Gaudu moving into the final year on his contract? I very much doubt there’ll be a shortage of interested teams over the next few months. I guess that’ll depend on his character and whether he wants to be Tibo’s helper or whether he wants to start looking at being the big guy, winners have been getting younger with Bernal, Remco etc, so I suspect that won’t have gone unnoticed.

Perhaps if Thibaut will not be in form, Gaudu will get a free role or becomes the leader during the race.
But I really cannot imagine that FDJ will send Gaudu to the Giro before the tour.
The tour is too important for the team.
This year had been the first time since many many years, that a french rider from a french team really had a realistic chance to win the race. They are seeing this chance for next year so they will start with the best possible team with riders at their bests at next years tour.
Gaudu is still young so I don´t think that he has a big problem to work once more for Pinot at this tour. He surely will become his chance in the coming years.

Reactions: Koronin
Perhaps if Thibaut will not be in form, Gaudu will get a free role or becomes the leader during the race.
But I really cannot imagine that FDJ will send Gaudu to the Giro before the tour.
The tour is too important for the team.
This year had been the first time since many many years, that a french rider from a french team really had a realistic chance to win the race. They are seeing this chance for next year so they will start with the best possible team with riders at their bests at next years tour.
Gaudu is still young so I don´t think that he has a big problem to work once more for Pinot at this tour. He surely will become his chance in the coming years.

I guess we’ll see. Gaudu really needs to break out from super Dom status though. it should’ve happened last year, as Tibo, nice fella that he is, can’t be relied on.

I guess we’ll see. Gaudu really needs to break out from super Dom status though. it should’ve happened last year, as Tibo, nice fella that he is, can’t be relied on.
Yeah, we will really see about that. Gaudu had been super important for Pinot at this years tour. With his acelerations he was able to eliminate all domestiques from Ineos (Ok they haven´t been so good this year as the last years.) So that Pinot could attack. We all missed a dom from another team then Ineos like Gaudu in the last editions of the tour.

Reactions: Joelsim

TRENDING THREADS