• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Targets of grand tour riders in 2020

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 17, 2019
Visit site
I would love to see Lopez at the tour, too. The course is good for him and he is a rider who animates a race.
Another interesting decicision will be, which Grand tour Simon Yates will target next year. Don´t know if his underperformance of this years giro had been only a spike or if he returns to his Grand Tour level of 2018.
Matt White on The Cycling Podcast mentioned that Simon Yates will ride the Giro and part of the Tour before pulling out to prepare for the Olympics. Simon Yates has previously said that the Olympics are his priority in 2020 and will target the Tour in 2021

Reactions: hayneplane
After Carapaz won the Giro this past season, Movistar had 3 on their team.

Also remember there are several teams that are not GC team, so obviously aren't looking to have GC riders on their team. Part of why Enric Mas went from DQS to Movistar. DQS is a classics team that can't really support a GC rider. Movistar will give Mas a team to support him for GC.
Another perspective is that Ineos have 3 TdF winners on their books, and there is only 1 other winner currently active in the peloton.

So the gossip was probably blown out of proportion. He is saying that nothing is certain and that it depends on the team in December. As much as he wants to ride the Giro the team could be pushing him to ride Giro. who knows.

He also says that he wants to be there for the Olympics.

BTW he was selected as the best sportman of the year in Colombia.

https://www.revistamundociclistico....uego-intentar-ir-a-los-olimpicos-egan-bernal/

Reactions: KZD and Rollthedice
Froome will be aound because of the TT, but he has never shown the kind of one day racing pedigree that Adam and Geraint have.
If I'm Ineos I'm sending Thomas-Carapaz to the Giro and Bernal-Froome to the Tour.
The Tour route isn't that great for Thomas and if Froome won't come back at his best Bernal seems to be the best option to have on this kind of route.

Froome will be aound because of the TT, but he has never shown the kind of one day racing pedigree that Adam and Geraint have.
If I'm Ineos I'm sending Thomas-Carapaz to the Giro and Bernal-Froome to the Tour.
The Tour route isn't that great for Thomas and if Froome won't come back at his best Bernal seems to be the best option to have on this kind of route.
My expectation is also that Ineos will send 2 of their top riders to the giro.
Then I think they'll let at least one of them start at the Tour de France as well. So that at least 3 top riders from Ineos will be at the start of the tour.

I think it is difficult to say whether Froome is really so bad at one day races or if he has not really targeted them. Most of his results come from before his transition to one of the greatest GC riders in recent memory. And he did finish 12 in the previous Olympics, alongside Thomas and ahead of riders with much more pedigree.

He has shown flashes of skills that might make him a good secondary option for Britain.

I think it is difficult to say whether Froome is really so bad at one day races or if he has not really targeted them. Most of his results come from before his transition to one of the greatest GC riders in recent memory. And he did finish 12 in the previous Olympics, alongside Thomas and ahead of riders with much more pedigree.

He has shown flashes of skills that might make him a good secondary option for Britain.
A bit column a and a bit column b? If we’re pointing to 12th in an unusually hilly Olympic circuit as evidence that he can do it if he wanted to, I think that’s a stretch.

There’s no doubt though, that if he’s doing the TT anyway, that the GB team could make good use of his engine in service of Thomas or Yates.

A bit column a and a bit column b? If we’re pointing to 12th in an unusually hilly Olympic circuit as evidence that he can do it if he wanted to, I think that’s a stretch.

There’s no doubt though, that if he’s doing the TT anyway, that the GB team could make good use of his engine in service of Thomas or Yates.

Under Olympic rules, to race the TT you are required to race the road race. So yes using his engine to help Thomas or Yates would make sense.

Where does the love for Thomas and the Olympics come from? He's never raced Lombardy and done LBL once. All his one day results have come in cobbled classics not hilly ones.

TRENDING THREADS