• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Targets of grand tour riders in 2020

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Article from end of April: Kevin Rivera still intends to ride the Giro. We probably shouldn't count him as a GT rider, but he's still interesting to keep an eye on.

He even has bad days in shorter stage races, a bit like Poels, so I really don't view him as a potential GT rider atm.

He even has bad days in shorter stage races, a bit like Poels, so I really don't view him as a potential GT rider atm.
That's indeed what i meant. I was actually looking forward to see him last year in Adriatica Ionica, in the mountain stage, but he finished 14 minutes down from Padun. But i thought he's an interesting enough prospect to at least mention him. Or see how he compares to Alba & Rubio.

That's indeed what i meant. I was actually looking forward to see him last year in Adriatica Ionica, in the mountain stage, but he finished 14 minutes down from Padun. But i thought he's an interesting enough prospect to at least mention him. Or see how he compares to Alba & Rubio.
Rubio is probably the one who can make an inpact right now (at least in shorter stage races), he has been racing in Italy for a few years and outsprinted Pogi on a MTF in the Giro del Friuli 2 years ago.

So Kelderman basically confirmed for the Giro, but he's considering to ride the Tour as well? This is supposedly what he said a few days ago in a radio show "De Perstribune". But Giro seems like a lock, Tour still under consideration. Don't know in what shape he'd start the Giro after riding the Tour, though.

EDIT: After having listened to the entire interview myself, it seems nothing is confirmed at all. He'd prefer the Giro, but would also like doing the Tour, because it comes sooner on the calendar.

Last edited:
Kelderman confirmed for at least the Giro, might ride the Tour as well (not certain). Zakarin will definitely ride the Tour, might also ride Giro or Vuelta (also not certain). Soler confirmed for Giro. As is Fuglsang (who might also ride another GT, but not certain).

Tour: Bernal, Froome, Thomas, Roglic, Kruijswijk, Dumoulin, Mollema, Pogacar, Higuita, Lopez, Mas, Valverde, Quintana, Uran, Formolo, Pinot, Bardet, Aru, Landa, Buchmann, Woods, Zakarin, Gaudu, Barguil

Giro: Nibali, Carapaz, Carthy, G. Bennett, Fuglsang, Evenepoel, Knox, Soler, Kelderman, Ciccone, Majka

Vuelta: Valverde, Mas

Unconfirmed: A Yates, S Yates, Costa, Kämna, CF Hagen, Hart, Sosa, Sivakov, Nieve, O'Connor, Dunbar, Madouas, Martinez, Vlasov, Foss, McNulty, G Martin, D Martin, Latour, Oomen...

Last edited:
Reactions: Koronin
Kelderman confirmed for at least the Giro, might ride the Tour as well (not certain). Zakarin will definitely ride the Tour, might also ride Giro or Vuelta (also not certain). Soler confirmed for Giro. As is Fuglsang (who might also ride another GT, but not certain).

Tour: Bernal, Froome, Thomas, Roglic, Kruijswijk, Dumoulin, Mollema, Pogacar, Higuita, Lopez, Mas, Valverde, Quintana, Uran, Formolo, Pinot, Bardet, Aru, Landa, Buchmann, Woods, Zakarin, Gaudu, Barguil

Giro: Nibali, Carapaz, Carthy, G. Bennett, Fuglsang, Evenepoel, Knox, Soler, Kelderman, Ciccone, Majka

Unconfirmed: A Yates, S Yates, Costa, Kämna, CF Hagen, Hart, Sosa, Sivakov, Nieve, O'Connor, Dunbar, Madouas, Martinez, Vlasov, Foss, McNulty, G Martin, D Martin, Latour, Oomen...
Porte is confirmed for the Tour, I believe.

Pozzovivo Tour and Vuelta and also Mollema will go to the Vuelta after the Tour.

I have a hard time seeing Mollema doing anything at the Vuelta, if he comes to the Tour in shape. With Nibali riding the Giro he'll be the main guy for the Ardennes classics and Tour-Ardennes-Vuelta just seems too much.
Mollema is one of those guys who seems to get better if he races a lot though. He is for example always very good a week after the Tour in the Clasica San Sebastián.

Mollema is one of those guys who seems to get better if he races a lot though. He is for example always very good a week after the Tour in the Clasica San Sebastián.
Yes, but there's a difference between having good legs after the Tour and having a block of big one day races, followed by a 2nd gt right after riding the Tour.
Last season he also used the Tour to ride himself back into shape after taking a break after the Giro, this time the one day races would be right durning that break.

So Kelderman basically confirmed for the Giro, but he's considering to ride the Tour as well? This is supposedly what he said a few days ago in a radio show "De Perstribune". But Giro seems like a lock, Tour still under consideration. Don't know in what shape he'd start the Giro after riding the Tour, though.

Tour-Giro could work if he was to ride the Tour simply to build shape and pick a couple of stages to go all in trying to get in the key break and try to win a stage. Sadly with his injury record it seems a big risk riding a Grand Tour with a nervous peloton rusty at riding in a huge group ahead of his main season goal.

Tour: Bernal, Froome, Thomas, Roglic, Kruijswijk, Dumoulin, Mollema, Pogacar, Higuita, Lopez, Mas, Valverde, Quintana, Uran, Formolo, Pinot, Bardet, Aru, Landa, Buchmann, Woods, Zakarin, Gaudu, Barguil, Porte

Vuelta: Valverde, Mas, Pozzovivo

This is UAE schedule (If it has not been posted already):

Tour de Francia: Fabio Aru, Tadej Pogačar, Davide Formolo, David De la Cruz, Alexander Kristoff.
Giro de Italia: Fernando Gaviria, Maximiliano Richeze, Sebastián Molano, Brandon McNulty, Joe Dombrowski, Valerio Conti, Diego Ulissi.
Vuelta a España: David De la Cruz, Davide Formolo, Fabio Aru, Jasper Philipsen, Rui Costa.

Sergio Henao to be confirmed but he might go to the Tour as support of Tadej.

https://www.revistamundociclistico....-el-uae-team-emirates-para-el-giro-de-italia/

Tour de Francia: Fabio Aru, Tadej Pogačar, Davide Formolo, David De la Cruz, Alexander Kristoff.
Giro de Italia: Fernando Gaviria, Maximiliano Richeze, Sebastián Molano, Brandon McNulty, Joe Dombrowski, Valerio Conti, Diego Ulissi.
Vuelta a España: David De la Cruz, Davide Formolo, Fabio Aru, Jasper Philipsen, Rui Costa.

https://www.revistamundociclistico....-el-uae-team-emirates-para-el-giro-de-italia/

Byström should race the same programe as Kristoff so I would assume he is almost certain for the TDF also, also securing Kristoff a little help. I guess the most interesting is then what GTs Polanc rides and I would guess he will also help Pogacar in the TDF especially as a fellow slovenian, and then completing a very strong team most likely with Henao. I guess though they could also chose a allrounder like Laengen or perhaps even Marcato instead of either Polanc or Henao though.

Last edited:

Interesting, but giving Pogi full support and sending Gaviria to the Giro with his train makes sense, given th fact that it's a hard Tour route.
I don't know about Henao being on the Tour team, if they need another climber it could be Polanc, a guy like Laengen can help on all kinds of terrain and I guess you have to bring at least a leadout man for Kristoff, I'd pick Bohli because he's also a good rouleur.

Interesting, but giving Pogi full support and sending Gaviria to the Giro with his train makes sense, given th fact that it's a hard Tour route.
I don't know about Henao being on the Tour team, if they need another climber it could be Polanc, a guy like Laengen can help on all kinds of terrain and I guess you have to bring at least a leadout man for Kristoff, I'd pick Bohli because he's also a good rouleur.

I agree its a good desicion to swich Gaviria and Kristoff so Kristoff can prepare for and ride the classics and Gaviria can better fit full support.
Im pretty sure about Byström starting the TDF though and I think also Kristoff himself would pick him as his leadout, especially with Richeze, Molano and Philipsen not riding. Laengen would also be a good pick to balance the team a bit compared to using Henao and or Polanc. I think a rolour and most likely either Bohli or Troia will be the last guy in the Giro team where such a type is needed to chase breakaways, but yes one of them could also end up on the TDF-team. I doubt it though.

Did we ever have such a spectuacular lineup before? Seems like everyone will be there.
Don't think so. Or maybe a few decades ago. But back then there were only a few "real" contenders. In the Indurain/Armstrong days, there were more ITT kms, and the climbers that could potentially outclimb the big engines, lost minutes and minutes in the ITT's.

This year, there are favorites, but it still seems "wide open" for the most part. I think that's what makes it even more special, not just the lineup itself.

Was Conti going to try to go for GC? I think i heard something last year, that he might try that in the future. Will be interesting to see McNulty as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: gregrowlerson
Tour: Bernal, Froome, Thomas, Roglic, Kruijswijk, Dumoulin, Mollema, Pogacar, Higuita, Lopez, Mas, Valverde, Quintana, Uran, Formolo, Pinot, Bardet, Aru, Landa, Buchmann, Woods, Zakarin, Gaudu, Barguil, Porte

Giro: Nibali, Carapaz, Carthy, G. Bennett, Fuglsang, Evenepoel, Knox, Soler, Ciccone, Majka, McNulty

Vuelta: Valverde, Mas, Pozzovivo, Costa, Aru

Unconfirmed: A Yates, S Yates, Kämna, Kelderman, CF Hagen, Hart, Sosa, Sivakov, Nieve, O'Connor, Dunbar, Madouas, Martinez, Vlasov, Foss, G Martin, D Martin, Latour, Oomen, Konrad...

Do we classify guys like Dombrowski, Formolo, Conti, Polanc... as GC riders? Inclined to say yes, but they could finish 84th as well.

A Giro preview:

Last edited:
Do we classify guys like Dombrowski, Formolo, Conti, Polanc... as GC riders? Inclined to say yes, but they could finish 84th as well.

A Giro preview:

I'm inclined to say yes as well simply because they are starting out riding for GC. Doesn't mean they'll finish riding for GC and won't instead end up going for the KOM or stage hunting.

Last edited:
Reactions: SHAD0W93

Polanc is 100% doing the Tour. He is trusted by Pogacar and became close friends. Yet I would love Jan getting his usual free role in the Giro and going for stages / pink jersey as he usually does.

Bystrom and Laengen could very well round-out the line-up in the Tour. Two powerhorse for protecting Pogacar in the flat stages (Laengen also can climb a bit) and give Kristoff a little support if needed.

Bohli does much more sense in the Giro, he climbs worse than Mareckzo so does not make any sense to send him to TdF, where UAE is not going to control flat stages.

TRENDING THREADS