• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Targets of grand tour riders in 2020

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 2, 2020
Visit site
Despite not having many GC contenders, the Giro will surely have a lot of sprinters (Groenewegen,Ewan,Sagan,Demare,Gaviria...) and TT riders, which has never happened in recent years.
Talking about S.Yates he will go to the Giro with Jack Haig, and also Bahrain's sports director Volpi said that Landa could try both Tour and Giro

Despite not having many GC contenders, the Giro will surely have a lot of sprinters (Groenewegen,Ewan,Sagan,Demare,Gaviria...) and TT riders, which has never happened in recent years.
Talking about S.Yates he will go to the Giro with Jack Haig, and also Bahrain's sports director Volpi said that Landa could try both Tour and Giro

Not sure about Haig doing the Giro - Under the original MS calendar Haig and Hamilton should be co-leaders at the Vuelta.

Matthews to the Giro now too. Hopefully we finally get a proper battle royale with him and Sagan.

Sagan should come out best, but would like to see Matthews finally take the fight to him over a full GT.

Buchmann going for the Tour-Vuelta double this year.

He was already added to the list. But Zakarin is also doing a TDF - Vuelta double. I added him.

() between brackets, presumed in a supportive/non-GC role.

Tour: Bernal, Froome, Thomas, Roglic, Kruijswijk, Dumoulin, Mollema, Pogacar, Higuita, Lopez, Mas, Valverde, Quintana, Uran, (Formolo), Pinot, Bardet, (Aru), Landa, Buchmann, Woods, Zakarin, (Gaudu), Barguil, Porte, (Kämna), (G Bennett), G Martin, D Martin, (Pozzovivo), Alaphilippe, (Poels), Martinez, (Madouas), A. Yates, Chaves, (Nieve), Latour

Giro: Nibali, Carapaz, Carthy, Fuglsang, Evenepoel, Knox, Soler, Ciccone, Majka, McNulty, De Plus, Tolhoek, (Foss), Konrad, CF Hagen, Oomen, Kelderman, S. Yates, Haig, Dunbar

Vuelta: Valverde, Mas, Pozzovivo, Costa, Aru, Buchmann, Mollema, Pinot, Gaudu, Hermans, Großschartner, Zakarin

Unconfirmed: Hart, Sosa, Sivakov, O'Connor, Vlasov...

Last edited:
Vlasov is on the Giro longlist (so, not confirmed yet) but according to an interview on the team website with Vinokurov, it won't be for GC:

"He’s been in the Giro long list for a while, we expect him to be a strong helping hand for Jakob Fuglsang in the mountains, to gain valuable experience and, why not, situation permitting, to go for a stage win. "

Not sure about Haig doing the Giro - Under the original MS calendar Haig and Hamilton should be co-leaders at the Vuelta.
With all the changes, I think it's more likely that Haig and Hamilton ride the Giro and Chaves and/or Adam lead at the Vuelta. Sounds like their main GC aspirations are in the Giro and the former are the best mountain support options for Simon.

With all the changes, I think it's more likely that Haig and Hamilton ride the Giro and Chaves and/or Adam lead at the Vuelta. Sounds like their main GC aspirations are in the Giro and the former are the best mountain support options for Simon.

The original plan had Haig and Hamilton leading at the Vuelta which MS has largely kept intact with the new program - Expect one of Haig or Hamilton to ride the Vuelta - Take one out of the Giro and there is enough support for Simon at the Giro.

I've completely lost track of who's going where especially the Vuelta. Also I'd forgotten the Vuelta replaced the Dutch stages...
Logic has been updating it in this thread but it's fairly easy. Pretty much all the GC guys are going to the Tour. Only major guys going to the Giro are Nibali, Carapaz, and Simon Yates. And you know how it is with the Vuelta, you kinda have to see how the season plays out. Sure, a few guys commit early but it really comes down to what happens at the Giro and Tour.

Logic has been updating it in this thread but it's fairly easy. Pretty much all the GC guys are going to the Tour. Only major guys going to the Giro are Nibali, Carapaz, and Simon Yates. And you know how it is with the Vuelta, you kinda have to see how the season plays out. Sure, a few guys commit early but it really comes down to what happens at the Giro and Tour.

This year the Giro won't matter for the Vuelta as they overlap.

Yeah, I guess you won't get the bad form/lost time early guys who bail and refocus since the rules would prohibit them from entering the Vuelta but there's still the likelihood of guys who have problems in the build up for the Giro who have to change plans.

Also, I don't remember, but if you are legitimately injured during a race, can you get special dispensation to enter a different race that would otherwise conflict? IOW, could someone who was forced to DNF in the 2nd stage of the Giro due to an injury sustained in a crash get permission to start the Vuelta?

Yeah, I guess you won't get the bad form/lost time early guys who bail and refocus since the rules would prohibit them from entering the Vuelta but there's still the likelihood of guys who have problems in the build up for the Giro who have to change plans.

Also, I don't remember, but if you are legitimately injured during a race, can you get special dispensation to enter a different race that would otherwise conflict? IOW, could someone who was forced to DNF in the 2nd stage of the Giro due to an injury sustained in a crash get permission to start the Vuelta?

I don't think so. If you have to abandon a race for any reason there has to be an extreme strange reason to allow you to enter another race. Apparently one or two riders are currently asking for that to leave the Tour 2-3 days early for the ITT for the Worlds. I suspect if someone DNF's the Giro in week 1 it would be looked at as if you are too injured to continue the Giro you are too injured to start the Vuelta in less than 2 weeks form the date of the injury.

I don't think so. If you have to abandon a race for any reason there has to be an extreme strange reason to allow you to enter another race. Apparently one or two riders are currently asking for that to leave the Tour 2-3 days early for the ITT for the Worlds. I suspect if someone DNF's the Giro in week 1 it would be looked at as if you are too injured to continue the Giro you are too injured to start the Vuelta in less than 2 weeks form the date of the injury.

Well, if you crack your collarbone in the first stage of the Giro, you can get back on your bike in six days' time a week and a half before the start of the Vuelta. Then I think there would be granted a special permission to start the Vuelta, especially given the extraordinary conditions we find ourselves in this year.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Well, if you crack your collarbone in the first stage of the Giro, you can get back on your bike in six days' time a week and a half before the start of the Vuelta. Then I think there would be granted a special permission to start the Vuelta, especially given the extraordinary conditions we find ourselves in this year.

I guess that would be possible, but get past a handful of stages and there won't be enough time. Also teams have to have their official start list by the early part of week 2 of the Giro or about a week before la Vuelta starts. So that also makes it difficult.

TRENDING THREADS