• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

TDF 2016 design to give all the 'big 4' an equal chance?

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
My dream route for 2016 would include the following (we know there will be no prologue already)-

1st week up to first rest day (first 9 stages)-

x4 sprint stages
no cobbles
2 hilly stages
2 stages in the Massif Central (at least one stage being a proper mountain stage with 4 or 5 1st and 2nd category climbs)
x TT (30km length flat)

Week 2

x 3 stages in the Alps
1 finish in Morzine with the return of the Joux Plagne)
1 Finish on Val Thorens
1 Finish in Les Deux Alpes
x 2 transition stages
x1 finish in Carpentras having ridden Mont Ventoux

Week 3

x3 Stages in the Pyrenees
1 finish Plateau du Bonsacre
1 finish on Hautacam
1 stage finishing following a descent from the Perysouade
x 1 transitional stage
x 1 TT stage (55km - hilly)
x 1 Ceremonial Stage to finish

the 2014 and 2015 tour routes gave pretty equal chance for all of top 4 contenders. you never know for sure though and the problem is they never ride the way it'd be logical to presume based on the parcours on paper. :d and yet i wouldn't like tour to come back to classic scheme with 2 long tts as nairo is the most desirable tour winner for me atm.

Longer mountain stages would be good, as would more windy coastal stages on the flat. A hilly ITT, and something in the Massif Central. I just about remember Puy de Dome and it's a shame that isn't used for a finish any more. No TTT.

I never thought I'd say this but there weren't enough sprint finishes this year.

Re:

Andy262 said:
Longer mountain stages would be good, as would more windy coastal stages on the flat. A hilly ITT, and something in the Massif Central. I just about remember Puy de Dome and it's a shame that isn't used for a finish any more. No TTT.

I never thought I'd say this but there weren't enough sprint finishes this year.
There were 5 too many.

Re: Re:

Netserk said:
Andy262 said:

There were 5 too many.
Ahahaha, I agree. Or 4 actually. The Champs, I would keep. But I much rather finishes like the Murs, Mende...I wish a Boonen in his prime had been there.

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Tonton said:
oncehadhair said:
Tonton said:
For crying out loud, am I the only one here who knows that the start/finish cities/towns are for sale to the highest bidder? IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY! What am I reading?

That explains why there are several days in the alps and the pyrenees. Every year. There mustn't be much money in the rest of France. Apart from Paris where they always seem to have the last stage. Strange. Maybe you only think you know. :confused:
It goes without saying that ASO cannot sell the entire route to the highest bidder. But once you sell the first days, which is the case, the options for course design are greatly reduced. As you mention, the more or less three stages in the Pyrenees and three stages in the Alps are a must do. So now, that's something like 10 stages (4+3+3). Plus the finish in Paris: 11. Half of the Tour! Then you need to limit transfers, which reduces the options even further. Some regions see the TdF once a decade, and the peloton is often just passing by, using a flat route nationale. So much for "showcasing France" as you put it...Ask the French people if they "think I know". Read the French regional press the day after the route is made public. You'll see what I mean.

The "showcasing france" were prudhommes words. He used them or close enough to it in an interview on SBS tv broadcast in Australia when asked about the route.

I've also spoken to people in towns along the route (in 2012) and yes, they pay, but the bidding war doesn't start until the rough outline of the route has already been decided.