• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team DSM thread

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So it looks like Marco Brenner is the next one out in collision course with DSM.

From the bits I've read on TwitterX, he was apparently left out of the Vuelta team, probably goes someplace else next season and one of the points of disagreement may be him changing his saddle position without approval from the team, despite helping with his injury problems.

Hilarious that he was so positive about DSM like 3 months ago. That interview already read like he was having a gun to his head.

DSM is a joke, but no surprise there.

If you didn't know any better, you'd think these guys were employed by the DDR or USSR. I suppose the soigneurs/mechanics are the STASI-agents reporting back to Kreml if a saddle is either 1 cm too high or low or they decided to change the socks for the long endurance ride on Friday or maybe even went for a different sports drink on the ride.

Pathetic. That said, I have liked their display so far in this Vuelta, but they needed to tell Remco and Vingegaard to *** off a bit earlier.

Reactions: Unterlenkerfahrend
I hope that Milesi also won't stay there too long. They almost managed to make Gall quit cycling...
Which doesn't give high hopes on them getting Jakobsen back on track.

Theoretically DSM nurturing & directing Jakobsen on a path to success sounds fruitful. Since he should of course still have problems with over thinking and self-doubts.

If this was still Argos 2013 it would be a match in heaven. But with them being so strict and totalitarian. Even against a riders health it could just end up a path to defeat & destruction as well.

DSM has totally lost it. They were a good farm team with strict rules. They are overdoing it. They haven't learned from the issues it creates.

I've said it before. To me it's maniac. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder or something like that. Trying to control people and having no self-reflection. That's obviously not normal. DSM damages themselves over and over again with it.

Yeah, that certainly is to be feared. Given that it's he who did it, I don't quite think it is particularly funny.

Nerve damage would actually be the less serious implication... the other being (partial) memory loss. But I do think it was pretty cool that his initial reaction was "I could have won with one leg!"

Let's hope it's just that the shoes are so comfortable that you don't even notice that you're wearing them, or not wearing them.

Nerve damage would actually be the less serious implication... the other being (partial) memory loss. But I do think it was pretty cool that his initial reaction was "I could have won with one leg!"

Let's hope it's just that the shoes are so comfortable that you don't even notice that you're wearing them, or not wearing them.
But how can he not notice there is no cleat to put in the pedal? I just don't get it...

Denk said that three years ago that the door is always open for Brenner. Bora could still have a spot for Brenner. I think the talent is there. DSM ruined him a bit. Perhaps they let him go. The relationship is definately broken. He wasn't even allowed to ride the Deutschland-Tour. Stork, Dainese and Mayrhofer are leaving, too. I think they are also not really happy at DSM.
I also remember that he said last year in a podcast that he was a bit unhappy with his training. He had three traininers because DSM wanted to test that but it wasn't good for him.

He sounded very positive about DSM when I talked to him but we know things can change rather quickly with this team.

Has to be said their approach work for some riders. For instance I never expected Welsford to become such a capable sprinter while riding for DSM.
For him their approach could actually be a good thing. He's a late starter with pretty much the same background as Evenepoel, so he benefits from more guidance and a more structured approach.

Reactions: Sandisfan
"I'm disappointed," the promising, young, Team DSM-Firmenich rider admits in conversation with Augsburger Allgemeine. "I was on the list for the Vuelta for a very long time and I was taken off just before the start. But I can somewhat understand it. The team has certain principles and everything has to make way for that. On the other hand, I don't understand why no alternative program has been put together for me."
"As a German rider, I was not even allowed to participate in the Deutschland Tour, unlike two riders from the training team. I am really disappointed about that," he laments.
The reason for the discontent between rider and team? Brenner adjusted his saddle position due to an injury without consulting the team beforehand. “When it's really bad, I can't push that hard," he explains. This lack of communication proving costly.

Honestly, if it were another team I might give them the benefit of the doubt and say there might be two sides to the story. But not with DSM lol. These quotes aren't even that bad, he kinda understands the Vuelta exclusion and is more annoyed about the lack of alternative program.
And that saddle height thing is just the icing on the cake, I thought DSM were past that meme stuff, jesus christ.

that was before his injury, though. Signing him now would be a huge gamble, in my opinion.

He has improved a lot since the beginning of the season, but currently is still hardly on WT level.
If he isn't on WT level then good to know that half the riders should be let go from their teams. He has Top10s in reduced bunch sprints in the Dauphine, Top 10s in WT TTs, a five place from the break in a reasonably strong Vuelta break. 8th Place on one of the best climbing performance days in 2021 7Tour of Norway). His injury clearly are a problem as he sometimes can't bring the necessary performance yes. But he also clearly shown his potential if he's not (too much) in pain. I would be happy as a WT team to take that gamble.

I think the bigger risk long term is that we don't know yet what type of rider Brenner will be and where he can really excel at...but that's probably more a problem for the next contract.

If he isn't on WT level then good to know that half the riders should be let go from their teams. He has Top10s in reduced bunch sprints in the Dauphine, Top 10s in WT TTs, a five place from the break in a reasonably strong Vuelta break. 8th Place on one of the best climbing performance days in 2021 7Tour of Norway). His injury clearly are a problem as he sometimes can't bring the necessary performance yes. But he also clearly shown his potential if he's not (too much) in pain. I would be happy as a WT team to take that gamble.
Brenner didn't have the same problems last year yet, so I don't think those results can really be taken into account.

He obviously has a lot of potential, and still had some decent results this season, but in most races he completely cracked again on longer efforts shortly after. It's really hard to say what he is still capable of.

Brenner didn't have the same problems last year yet, so I don't think those results can really be taken into account.

He obviously has a lot of potential, and still had some decent results this season, but in most races he completely cracked again on longer efforts shortly after. It's really hard to say what he is still capable of.
The crash that caused his problems happened in 2020.

I personally think that he showed in this year outside of Catalunya enough consistency on a lower level to have some confidence that he his on the right way.

despite a 2024 valid contract with DSM

According to Wielerflits his contract actually ended at the end of this year and DSM had an option to extend it with one year. I have some doubts with that statement tho as Brenner himself seemed to insinuate he did indeed have a contract for 2024 earlier and those kind of options usually have a date attached on when it needs to be decided if they extend him or not, and that's not in the last few months of the season (more like June or July). His name didn't pop un any team rumours before and Tudors team was full, so seems like basically everyone thought he was stuck there for 24.

Smells like DSM calling up Wielerflits to make it seem like they were the ones that didn't want him anymore and not the other way around.