• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 33 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

HelloDolly said:
Em...who said Poels was going to the Giro ?? never mentioned by me ...the man is recovering from an injury

Also with Stannard, Rowe and Kiry ( who is not too old) SKY only need climbers to be there to chase down Quintana, Contador or Porte .... so not Kwait ...Thomas and Landa yes

Landa went to the Tour because of what happened at the Giro. He wont go this year if he top 5s the Giro.
He will however look for shared leadership at the Vuelta with Chris Froome.
Also, why will Team Sky waste a Landa. He is being paid a salary of a leader and they wouldnt necessarily want him on domestique duties at the Tour..They have enough cimbers.

Poels had been talking about the Giro since last year's Tour. He really seemed to want to get a chance at leading, but ever since they announced Thomas + Landa for the Giro, he's been quiet about it.

I do wonder what Sky told/promised him. Between him and Thomas, I think it's pretty even if you're talking about leading a team. I guess Sky could've sent all three but I guess you want to back Froome up with at least one very elite domestique.

Crappy thing for Poels is that there's no own chance when riding with Froome, and that helping Froome in the Tour means no chance in hell at getting a chance in the Vuelta.

Truth is that Sky is so full of riders capable of getting a top 5 in a GT it's ridiculous. They have Froome, Landa, Thomas, Poels, and Henao and then they have a bunch of riders who can be in the last 15/20 of a mountain stage below that.

There really isn't anything to debate. Poels is definitely the one suited the best to be the super-dom, while Landa deserves another shot and while G lacks something in the high mountains, he is a very good allrounder who also can fend for himself in the TT on a relatively time trial-heavy course. Besides, its easier to peak for L-B-L (and the ardennes in general) when riding TdF so you can have 2 peaks instead of one long one.

Poels knew these were the circumstances signing with Sky. So did Landa, Rosa, König etc., so I don't really feel sorry for them if they don't get to lead or race the races they want to.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

rick james said:
DBotero said:
I don't think the TDF team will include Thomas/Landa.I would pick these guys:Froome,Poels,Henao,Nieve,Kiryienka,Rowe,Stannard,Kennaugh and Henao JR.
Ideally I wouldn't take Thomas to the tour but I read if he has the fitness he will be there, it would e better to keep them 2 in cold storage until the Vuelta starts....Kennaugh is heading to the Giro
Kennaugh is riding the Giro and the Vuelta, child will probably be born durning the Tour and he wants to be there.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

Mayomaniac said:
rick james said:
DBotero said:
I don't think the TDF team will include Thomas/Landa.I would pick these guys:Froome,Poels,Henao,Nieve,Kiryienka,Rowe,Stannard,Kennaugh and Henao JR.
Ideally I wouldn't take Thomas to the tour but I read if he has the fitness he will be there, it would e better to keep them 2 in cold storage until the Vuelta starts....Kennaugh is heading to the Giro
Kennaugh is riding the Giro and the Vuelta, child will probably be born durning the Tour and he wants to be there.

Makes sense.

I feel like this is going to be Froomes weakest TDF team yet, though of course still really strong.

I also think they should drop Stannard unless his form improves. Kiry/Thomas/Rowe/Kwiat is strong enough to defend on the flats.

Lopez might be a surprise pick for the Tour.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Great tactical insight today. Lol.

They should just have saved Henao more. And in general attack more and not chase with Movistar. Great way of bringing Valverde to the line. Well done.

I guess they should all have attacked in turns. Still, I don't think it would have changed much. Valverde seemed pretty unbeatable today.

Re:

silvergrenade said:
TdR Team:
Ian Boswell
Owain Doull
Kenny Elissonde
Chris Froome
Vasil Kiriyenka
David Lopez
Gianni Moscon
Elia Viviani

Not a full Froome supported squad but good enough!

I'm not sure that will be good enough actually. Froome could find himself pretty exposed, especially if he's leading the race before the final mountain stage. Poels still isn't back and Nieve is not racing for some reason.

deValtos said:
Mayomaniac said:
rick james said:
DBotero said:

Makes sense.

I feel like this is going to be Froomes weakest TDF team yet, though of course still really strong.

I also think they should drop Stannard unless his form improves. Kiry/Thomas/Rowe/Kwiat is strong enough to defend on the flats.

Lopez might be a surprise pick for the Tour.

I think his 2014 team was relatively weak, with the benefit of hindsight.

Re:

silvergrenade said:
TdR Team:
Ian Boswell
Owain Doull
Kenny Elissonde
Chris Froome
Vasil Kiriyenka
David Lopez
Gianni Moscon
Elia Viviani

someone on this list isn't doing this race , because Kennaugh on Instagram said he is going to Romandie

Re: Re:

JRanton said:
silvergrenade said:
TdR Team:
Ian Boswell
Owain Doull
Kenny Elissonde
Chris Froome
Vasil Kiriyenka
David Lopez
Gianni Moscon
Elia Viviani

I'm not sure that will be good enough actually. Froome could find himself pretty exposed, especially if he's leading the race before the final mountain stage. Poels still isn't back and Nieve is not racing for some reason.

Well, to be fair there isn't much terrain either for Froome to make a difference of for someone to attack him from far away. It will be a course where the time-trial will prevail.

JRanton said:
silvergrenade said:
TdR Team:
Ian Boswell
Owain Doull
Kenny Elissonde
Chris Froome
Vasil Kiriyenka
David Lopez
Gianni Moscon
Elia Viviani

I think Froome would like being isolated. :lol: :)

CTQ said:
silvergrenade said:
TdR Team:
Ian Boswell
Owain Doull
Kenny Elissonde
Chris Froome
Vasil Kiriyenka
David Lopez
Gianni Moscon
Elia Viviani

someone on this list isn't doing this race , because Kennaugh on Instagram said he is going to Romandie

Maybe you are right but I took this off their Twitter feed and they generally put a confirmed squad up there. :geek:

JRanton said:
silvergrenade said:
TdR Team:
Ian Boswell
Owain Doull
Kenny Elissonde
Chris Froome
Vasil Kiriyenka
David Lopez
Gianni Moscon
Elia Viviani

It's enough for Romandie. The race isn't really that hard and there is no high mountains in the final. He should be fine with Nieve and Boswell for the climbs.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

Tough call to leave out Viviani but I think it's probably the right one. Hopefully that will give him more motivation (like it did today) to come back next year in better form and he will be selected again. The last two years have been somewhat lackluster for him. Sky don't want to take a sprinter for top 10's or top3's, they are at the level where they will only see value in taking a sprinter if he can guarantee a stage win which they cant necessarily count on Viviani for.

I'm 99% sure Lopez is going to the TDF having seen the Giro line-up.

Also whats this about Moscon?

I don't like Viviani that much but he did win an olympic gold last year which is very impressive.

Where did you find that about Moscon? If it is true then that is not at all in any way acceptable. Really poor from him, and I was beginning to like him. Why is it always Reza that is racially abused? There really need to be more black riders in the peloton to expel this racism.