• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 82 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
MatParker117 said:
Jhonatan Narvaez and Ivan Sosa is not bad transfer business.
Going South American it seems

Maybe it's a reason: Telemundo (Spanish pronunciation: [teleˈmundo]) is an American Spanish-language terrestrial television network owned by Comcast through the NBCUniversal division NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises. It is the second largest provider of Spanish-language content nationwide behind American competitor Univision, with programming syndicated worldwide to more than 100 countries in over 35 languages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telemundo

Re:

CTQ said:
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1049676746180763648 James Murdoch quits Sky as Comcast takes control

some changes to come for Team Sky? with long contract they signed with Bernal....

Funded through 2024

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cycling/2018/10/09/team-sky-confident-takeover-fears-will-not-affect-performance/

Earlier this summer, Sir Dave Brailsford’s team agreed a lease at the Manchester Institute of Health and Performance. The lease is understood to be at least five years, which would take it up to the end of what was being spoken about as Team Sky’s “secured funding cycle” of 2024.

CTQ said:
Valv.Piti said:
MatParker117 said:

Maybe it's a reason: Telemundo (Spanish pronunciation: [teleˈmundo]) is an American Spanish-language terrestrial television network owned by Comcast through the NBCUniversal division NBCUniversal Telemundo Enterprises. It is the second largest provider of Spanish-language content nationwide behind American competitor Univision, with programming syndicated worldwide to more than 100 countries in over 35 languages.

Froome to do Vuelta a Colombia? :D

Robert5091 said:
CTQ said:
Valv.Piti said:
MatParker117 said:

Froome to do Vuelta a Colombia? :D

well, he is going to join Rigoberto Uran in november to ride his Gran Fondo, El Giro de Rigo....

Mar 12, 2018
Visit site

CTQ said:
Valv.Piti said:
MatParker117 said:

For that to matter, Team Sky would have to be re-branded to Team Comcast or similar.

However, as Team Sky remains as Team Sky, literally no lay person will know this. Unless South Americans will start supporting Team Sky because they are owned by Comcast which in turn owns NBCUniversal which finally owns Telemundo. Unlikely I think :p

Re:

del1962 said:
Riders currently with contracts next year

David Lopez
Tao Geoghegan Hart
Philip Deignan
Keny Elissonde
Salvatore Puccio
Sebastián Henao
Owain Doull
Jonathan Dibben

I expect Kenny E, Tao and Doull will definitely get new contracts
Geoghegan Hart for sure, but I'd expect Sky to make some room for the Summer of '19 too. They'll be all over Mark Donovan, Ethan Hayter and Thomas Pidcock.

Re:

del1962 said:
Riders currently with contracts next year

David Lopez
Tao Geoghegan Hart
Philip Deignan
Keny Elissonde
Salvatore Puccio
Sebastián Henao
Owain Doull
Jonathan Dibben

I expect Kenny E, Tao and Doull will definitely get new contracts
So you mean without contracts ;)
I think Lopez and Deignan might retire, the rest will probably stay, certainly Tao, and I heard Doull talking about riding a GT next year, and not like "I'm gonna leave because Sky won't let me". That means that after Sosa, Narvaez and Ganna, there is only one spot left, which probably goes to Hayter. I'm not sure that Donovan will get a full contract yet, he should probably do the U23's for another year, kinda like what Tao did.

Too much fuss is made of Sky - Yes they dominate the TDF, had some success in the Giro and the Vuelta and are hard to beat in hillier one week stage races - But they are middle of the road in the classics part of the calendar and have no sprinters of note - I'd argue that Quick Step are more dominant in classics/one day races than Sky are in GT's and one week stage races.

Re:

yaco said:
Too much fuss is made of Sky - Yes they dominate the TDF, had some success in the Giro and the Vuelta and are hard to beat in hillier one week stage races - But they are middle of the road in the classics part of the calendar and have no sprinters of note - I'd argue that Quick Step are more dominant in classics/one day races than Sky are in GT's and one week stage races.
The fact Quickstep just beat their annual victory record can attest to that.

Vasilis said:
yaco said:
Quickstep and Sky aren't even remotely comparable in how bad they are for the entertainment value of the sport.

Red Rick said:
Vasilis said:
yaco said:
Quickstep and Sky aren't even remotely comparable in how bad they are for the entertainment value of the sport.
No they are not. However, Quickstep are a dominant team nonetheless.

Red Rick said:
Vasilis said:
yaco said:
No they aren't. Most of Quick Step's wins are from sprints. Viviani, Gaviria, Jacobsen, Hodeg - even Alaphilippe's to an extent.

Sky on the other hand don't have sprinters, so they attack on climbs. Froome - Giro stage 19. A career defining performance. Thomas being the first to win on Alpe d'Huez in yellow. Bernal attacking throughout the year. Moscon in the late season.

Some of you need to get rid of this Sky stereotype you have wrapped yourself in and embrace reality. This includes the UCI President. To quote from a recent Velonews article
“Today everything is measured to a millimeter,” UCI president David Lappartient said. “How many people are really captivated? In [soccer], you have these extraordinary comebacks, but we do not have that much on the Tour de France.”

When was last time there was a genuine Tour de France comeback (excluding TTs)? 2006? Best ignore that one. Else we're going back to the 80s.
If he wanted a comeback he should have watched this year's Giro. Courtesy of Team Boring.

Parker said:
Red Rick said:
Vasilis said:
yaco said:

Sky on the other hand don't have sprinters, so they attack on climbs. Froome - Giro stage 19. A career defining performance. Thomas being the first to win on Alpe d'Huez in yellow. Bernal attacking throughout the year. Moscon in the late season.

Some of you need to get rid of this Sky stereotype you have wrapped yourself in and embrace reality.
Now here's the advice I've been looking for the past 8 years.

I forgot to embrace reality

Parker said:
Red Rick said:
Vasilis said:
yaco said:
No they aren't. Most of Quick Step's wins are from sprints. Viviani, Gaviria, Jacobsen, Hodeg - even Alaphilippe's to an extent.

Sky on the other hand don't have sprinters

Thanks. If you hadn't opened my eyes I would've believed Sky when they describe 4 different riders on their squad as "Sprinter". Silly me, still believing anything Sky say, I know.

Since you're in the know and clearly way more intelligent than any of us, what's their plan for Halvorsen the "wonderkid sprinter" (again, their words)? Are they turning him into a climber? I never know, with those Team Sky geniuses.

TRENDING THREADS