• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 86 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

The Sky Tour team will probably be the same as this year unless anyone is sick or injured (maybe Moscon could be replaced with another rouleur). Saving Bernal for the Tour is the safest policy. Probably still too young for two GTs a year, so Froome and Poels for Vuelta? The Giro would be wide open. I could see Sosa making a debut in either the Giro or the Vuelta. Perhaps Geoghegan Hart, Sivakov and Moscon among a young Giro team. Thomas or Froome not riding the Giro changes things a lot for Sky.

Re: Re:

Squire said:
LaFlorecita said:
Red Rick said:
rick james said:
The Dawg wont be going to the Vuelta.....i'm hoping its all in for the 2019 TDF.....2020 a Giro-Vuelta double
You don't think the allure of being a lone record holder would be huge if he wins next year?
Wins what? Lone record holder of what?
A 6th Tour de France in 2020.
No, unwritten rule, 5 and no more

rick james said:
Squire said:
LaFlorecita said:
Red Rick said:
rick james said:
The Dawg wont be going to the Vuelta.....i'm hoping its all in for the 2019 TDF.....2020 a Giro-Vuelta double
You don't think the allure of being a lone record holder would be huge if he wins next year?
No, unwritten rule, 5 and no more
Do you really think that if he'll win the Tour next year he'll never return to give a shot to a sixth one?
Everyone of the five times winners has tried to go for a sixth, probably Merckx would have even succeded if wasn't for the french fan punching him in the stomach on Puy de Dome.

Squire said:
LaFlorecita said:
Red Rick said:
rick james said:
Oh yeah, I was thinking about 2019

Yes, off-season.
Beacuse of ridiculous Tdf 2018 route (lack of ITT) GT should focus on Giro and Vuelta. And as I said his 2nd TdF palmary is less important than completing all GT wins. And of course CF 5th victory at TdF should be main target of Team Sky. So:
- Giro: Thomas, Bernal as protected co-leader;
- TdF: CF, Bernal, Poels, Kwiatek, Moscon and others of A-team;
- Vuelta, as a 2nd/3rd class GT: Thomas, Sosa, maybe CF if he wants to ride just for fun and kick some asses.

Re:

Bot. Sky_Bot said:
Yes, off-season.
Beacuse of ridiculous Tdf 2018 route (lack of ITT) GT should focus on Giro and Vuelta. And as I said his 2nd TdF palmary is less important than completing all GT wins. And of course CF 5th victory at TdF should be main target of Team Sky. So:
- Giro: Thomas, Bernal as protected co-leader;
- TdF: CF, Bernal, Poels, Kwiatek, Moscon and others of A-team;
- Vuelta, as a 2nd/3rd class GT: Thomas, Sosa, maybe CF if he wants to ride just for fun and kick some asses.
My guess is that the Tour team will have a 'Classic Sky' make-up (Froome, Thomas, Poels, Kwiato, Rowe, Castroviejo, etc) while the Giro has a 'New Sky' roster (Bernal, Sivakov, Moscon, G-Hart, Sosa?, with some older heads like Puccio)

Kinda surprising, but not shocked, because there was a change of ownership with regards to 21st Century Fox or SKY itself some time ago, if I remember correctly..? I even think it was mentioned here. Hope that another sponsor can take over, or that the riders at least can find new teams (which shouldn't be a problem for most of them). Time will tell, if the Tour is going to be less controlled after SKYs departure, but I doubt it will be that much.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Nirvana said:
Robert5091 said:
So what happens with the 5 year long contracts? And does this mean Darroch's on his way out too? Be interesting to know who made the decision.
Long term contracts of some riders are a big asset now that Brailsford needs to find a new sponsor, especially if we talk about young and promising talents.
Yes, he should be able to find new sponsors and maybe now a budget cap for teams could actually help him and also drive more other sponsors towards the sport. If nobody else will be able to spend more than a certain amount of money on a team, then maybe other's will be willing to to the same, you won't need to spend as much as the really big teams are spending right now to be competitive.