• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 51 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

silvergrenade said:
With all the stress of a 3 week Tour, coming in as favourites, then the Landa situation...
Everything was handled very professionally..Top job by the staff as well as the team.
Amazing is a small word for such a team. Chapeau!
They have by far the biggest budget and the biggest focus on the Tour. This gives them the opportunity to field several riders as domestiques that would be leaders in any other team.

Why then do you think it's amazing they managed to be dominant as a team in this Tour?

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

Jagartrott said:
silvergrenade said:
With all the stress of a 3 week Tour, coming in as favourites, then the Landa situation...
Everything was handled very professionally..Top job by the staff as well as the team.
Amazing is a small word for such a team. Chapeau!
They have by far the biggest budget and the biggest focus on the Tour. This gives them the opportunity to field several riders as domestiques that would be leaders in any other team.

Why then do you think it's amazing they managed to be dominant as a team in this Tour?
Katusha has a similar budget..
BMC is close too.
AG2R is 1/3rd of what Skys budget is and was arguagly the second strongest team.
Budget alone doesnt explain everything. They have the talent as well as motivation(Both internal and external) which makes them as dominant as they are.
Would be interesting to see the team budgets in 2012, 2013. They dominated then too. Were they number 1 on the list then?

silvergrenade said:
BMC is close too.
AG2R is 1/3rd of what Skys budget is and was arguagly the second strongest team.
Budget alone doesnt explain everything. They have the talent as well as motivation(Both internal and external) which makes them as dominant as they are.
Would be interesting to see the team budgets in 2012, 2013. They dominated then too. Were they number 1 on the list then?
Katusha doesn't target the Tour (and wastes a lot of money), BMC had Porte crashing out. Both also have a budget that is 10-15% lower than Sky's, that's 2-3 very strong domestiques. Sky has always had the power of (pretty dirty, IMO) money behind them AND lives for the Tour and little else. QuickStep has half the budget yet is top of the UCI ranking (and won 5 stages during this Tour).

Jagartrott said:
silvergrenade said:
BMC is close too.
Katusha doesn't target the Tour (and wastes a lot of money), BMC had Porte crashing out. Both also have a budget that is 10-15% lower than Sky's, that's 2-3 very strong domestiques. Sky has always had the power of (pretty dirty, IMO) money behind them AND lives for the Tour and little else. QuickStep has half the budget yet is top of the UCI ranking (and won 5 stages during this Tour).
1. What does Katusha target?
If they waste money its not Skys fault.
2. BMC
If Porte crashed out, its not Skys fault.
3. Quickstep: Won 5 stages; which exemplifies my point that just having a huge budget doesnt mean you'll necessarily do well.

Dont get me wrong; I agree that money solves 90% of your problems but not all of them. :)

All I'm saying is that I wouldn't call the dominance of the richest team in the race they target a mile above every other race 'amazing'. Their permonance is along the lines of expectations. And speaking as a fan that has no special preference for any particular rider, their dominance does not make the Tour very exciting.

Re:

Jagartrott said:
All I'm saying is that I wouldn't call the dominance of the richest team in the race they target a mile above every other race 'amazing'. Their permonance is along the lines of expectations. And speaking as a fan that has no special preference for any particular rider, their dominance does not make the Tour very exciting.
This I can agree on.
But Its also down to other teams not being good enough or having so much bad luck. Bardet had a chance. He should have gone all in. Ofc its hindsight but Froome having to attack instead of the other way around would have made it more fun.
Plus the route. Worst route ever.

Re:

Billie said:
They made a mistake having Henao and Nieve ride in the front all day on the flat stages in the first week. Henao was of no use at all this race.
They didn't have to ride on the front in the first week at all, because they were all sprint stages and then to La Planche des Belles Filles BMC rode all day. Indeed Henao sucked, but not because they wasted him on the flat.

Vasilis said:
Billie said:
They made a mistake having Henao and Nieve ride in the front all day on the flat stages in the first week. Henao was of no use at all this race.
They didn't have to ride on the front in the first week at all, because they were all sprint stages and then to La Planche des Belles Filles BMC rode all day. Indeed Henao sucked, but not because they wasted him on the flat.

Vermote and De Gendt mostly rode in front of them yes but they still rode in the first 10 in the wind.

DFgDNnfW0AApE-0.jpg

Look who claimed the Iron Throne. :D

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

oldcrank said:
It's still 50 weeks away, but I'd bet Tim and Sir Dave and other
members of the Team SKY brain trust have already had some
discussions about the 35km TTT next July 9th in Cholet.
The talk of Jonathan Castroviejo moving to Team SKY makes
sense with a TTT in the 2018 Tour and Team SKY's apparent
focus on the TTT at the 2019 Yorkshire World Champs.

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site

oldcrank said:
oldcrank said:

Wonder if they could use Dowsett.. seems like low budget British Watts

Re:

Taxus4a said:
GB needs another team, that team just with british riderw has a high potential: Froome,Thomas, Kennaugh,..

But I hope with Landa out that potential could be lower.
Team SKy was good for cycling in some ways, but now is a problem.
Have you heard anything about Castroviejo's plans for the future?

hazaran said:
oldcrank said:
oldcrank said:

Wonder if they could use Dowsett.. seems like low budget British Watts
If Alex wants to defend his Commonwealth Games ITT title next April
on the Gold Coast, I think Team SKY might one of the few teams that
would try to accommodate such a program. But I'm thinking there will
be a number of Aussies targeting that Gold Medal, too.

TRENDING THREADS