• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 61 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

MatParker117 said:
Poursuivant said:
What is the early thoughts for Giro and Tour squads then people?

Giro-Froome, Poels, de la Cruz, Rosa, Geoghegan Hart, Kiryienka, Castroviejo, Puccio

Tour-Froome, Thomas, Poels, Henao, Rosa, Kwaitkowski, Van Baarle, Moscon

Vuelta-Thomas, Bernal, de la Cruz, Seb Henao, Castroviejo, Deignan, Golas, Knees

Hey if Thomas is the leader at the Vuelta under no circumstaces does he ride the TDF

Giro - Froome, De la Cruz, Deignan, Diego Rosa, Moscon, Castroviejo, Puccio, Knees

TdF - Froome, Poels, Thomas, Sergio Henao, Kwiatkowski, Kiryienka, Stannard, Van Baarle

If Intxausti is recovered from his problems he will be a valuable asset for Sky.

The CN article on Geraint Thomas is an interesting one. I see Froome's decision to target the Giro as an opening for Thomas at the Tour. We already saw that he was a protected rider this year. Next year I see it as unlikely that Froome can win the Tour after riding a full Giro (Contador didn't get close at 32 in 2015, so I don't see how Froome can at 33 and without too much assistance from ITT kms), so Sky will really have to enter the Tour with another, or an extra leader in mind. The cobbles stage suits Thomas, and after the Giro Froome could be in trouble as early as the Col du Romme (assuming he even survives the cobbles). Given the cobbles stage and the TTT, I see Sky taking Thomas and Kwiatkowski to the Tour, with both potentially given some freedom (admittedly only 8 riders gives less freedom for such roles).

I cringe when I see any comparision made between Thomas and Hincapie. GT's 15th place results at the Tour don't go close to showing his potential result at a GT. The guy has beaten freakin Alberto Contador at Paris-Nice for goodness sakes, as well as produced some other notable showings on difficult mountain stages in one week and three week races (Hincapie's one great result was from a freakin breakaway).

For Froome's Giro team, I'd take Poels as main support rider. He could lead the team at the Vuelta, and would be less useful at the Tour then Thomas, Kwiatkowski and Moscon, at least in terms of the TTT. And Sky will still want someone else starting the Giro who could be competitive in the GC, just in case something goes totally wrong for Froome in the first week.

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Contador couldn't win the Tour double or not, in fact he lost to the guy attempting it now, incredible that people would somehow cite that as a reason why it won't work for Froome.

I fear that Thomas has allowed the best of his career to pass him by - He's made two big mistakes in his career - Not moving from Sky two years ago, and allowing Sky to convince him to be a GT rider - He could have won a classic or monument if he had better advice.

Gee wants to be a GeeCee contender -
http://www.bbc.com/sport/wales/42282670
Team Sky cyclist Geraint Thomas says he will listen to offers from other teams as he aims to establish himself as a leader in Grand Tour races.

The double Olympic gold medallist, whose deal expires at the end of 2018, has been a target for several teams.

This year's Giro d'Italia was his first Grand Tour as Sky's leader but, with Chris Froome competing in 2018, Thomas will miss the race.

"This year my programme is based on what Froomey's doing," he said.

Speaking to BBC Sport Wales, Thomas added: "I'm certainly going to listen to some teams.

"Trek-Segafredo have shown an interest and there are some other teams as well. I certainly want to sit down and listen to what they've got to say.

Re:

Robert5091 said:
Team Sky cyclist Geraint Thomas says he will listen to offers from other teams as he aims to establish himself as a leader in Grand Tour races.

The double Olympic gold medallist, whose deal expires at the end of 2018, has been a target for several teams.

This year's Giro d'Italia was his first Grand Tour as Sky's leader but, with Chris Froome competing in 2018, Thomas will miss the race.

Speaking to BBC Sport Wales, Thomas added: "I'm certainly going to listen to some teams.

"Trek-Segafredo have shown an interest and there are some other teams as well. I certainly want to sit down and listen to what they've got to say.

That's surprisingly blunt.

Re:

Poursuivant said:
Surprised they're making him shadow Froome, I thought he would have done Vuelta. Maybe they are resigned to him leaving.

It sais he will miss the Giro so he will not shadow Froome, but obviously has to adjust his program to Froomes, so the Vuelta (+ TDF as helper/back up captain if Froome fails) seems likely.

Geraint has to leave Sky. ASAP!
There's nothing to gain staying at Sky anymore. His personal objectives take a hit with Froome going 2 GTs each season.
Plan B and shared leadership shouldn't cut it for him. He's not getting any younger and he needs to go to a team which guarantees sole leadership.

Go to Trek Geraint. Convince Sky its the best for both parties that its best for him to leave and make a mid-season switch after the Tour.
He can do the Vuelta with Trek as the sole leader.

Re:

silvergrenade said:
Geraint has to leave Sky. ASAP!
There's nothing to gain staying at Sky anymore. His personal objectives take a hit with Froome going 2 GTs each season.
Plan B and shared leadership shouldn't cut it for him. He's not getting any younger and he needs to go to a team which guarantees sole leadership.

Go to Trek Geraint. Convince Sky its the best for both parties that its best for him to leave and make a mid-season switch after the Tour.
He can do the Vuelta with Trek as the sole leader.

I'd love to see that
De Kort, Pantano, Bernard and co leading G in the red jersey. wow!

Re:

Robert5091 said:

I'll recommend him to target the Tour instead of the Giro.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

Yea sounds like he will target the TDF as the back up plan if Froome starts cracking.

That's actually not bad for G since he'll probably get protected for quite a bit and could have the chance to fully lead at the Tour.

Ofc he should switch teams at the end of the season unless something crazy changes like Froome wants to retire.

Thomas having to be captain in the Vuelta instead of the Giro is not a bad thing for him. Now he can also ride the springclassics and he can potentially be in shape for the world championships, he might potentially also have a better chance for himself in the TDF (if Froome is too tired) and generally he has a much better chance to spread his goals and results over the whole season instead of him putting all focus on a Giro-Tour-double that would likely mean not much more than that in the whole season.

Re:

yaco said:
I fear that Thomas has allowed the best of his career to pass him by - He's made two big mistakes in his career - Not moving from Sky two years ago, and allowing Sky to convince him to be a GT rider - He could have won a classic or monument if he had better advice.

Couldn't have said it better myself, he might have a RvV victory by now maybe?

TRENDING THREADS