• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 62 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
For anyone wondering about the future of the team after today, Sky as it stands are committed to 2020 and that won't change while the deal with Disney goes through review. Whether Disney would continue with the team as it's a possible casualty in post takeover cost cutting is another story.

Re:

MatParker117 said:
For anyone wondering about the future of the team after today, Sky as it stands are committed to 2020 and that won't change while the deal with Disney goes through review. Whether Disney would continue with the team as it's a possible casualty in post takeover cost cutting is another story.

I wouldn't be so sure about their commitment. The team brought them a big positive brand exposure return for years. It's been a PR disaster more recently. It could reach a point where they pull the plug even if they have a deal with time still to run (even if that costs them money). It would surprise me if they don't have a doping/suspension/funny business clause in their deal in any case. Any sponsor putting tens of millions into a cycling team per year would be fools not to.

Re: Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
MatParker117 said:

I wouldn't be so sure about their commitment. The team brought them a big positive brand exposure return for years. It's been a PR disaster more recently. It could reach a point where they pull the plug even if they have a deal with time still to run (even if that costs them money). It would surprise me if they don't have a doping/suspension/funny business clause in their deal in any case. Any sponsor putting tens of millions into a cycling team per year would be fools not to.

Sky own the team so they would have to liquidate the holding company which owns and operates the team (Tour Racing Limited) or sell it (Tinkov?). Either requires a vote at board level and as ownership of the company is in flux, they have more important things to worry about. I think Disney would wind the team up as its a relatively cheap and easy way to cut costs once they gain control of Sky.

Re:

MatParker117 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...to-sell-off-21st-century-fox-assets-to-disney
Rupert’s son James Murdoch, the Fox chief executive, will leave the company, either to join Disney in a senior role or set up his own venture, according to the Financial Times

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2012/jul/23/james-murdoch-sky-tour-de-france
James Murdoch, Rupert's youngest son, was among those on the Champs Elysées on Sunday afternoon, cheering home the first British winner of the Tour de France. That was fitting, because while his successor as BSkyB's chief executive, Jeremy Darroch, was in Team Sky's backup car, caught on ITV punching the vehicle's roof in delight, it was Murdoch, a keen cyclist, who was critical to sustaining the media group's £10m-a-year sponsorship commitment.

We'll see if Team Sky live beyond Murdoch's move.

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/wa...pinoff-certain-businesses-52-4-billion-stock/
Prior to the close of the transaction, it is anticipated that 21st Century Fox will seek to complete its planned acquisition of the 61% of Sky it doesn’t already own. Sky is one of Europe’s most successful pay television and creative enterprises with innovative and high-quality direct-to-consumer platforms, resonant brands and a strong and respected leadership team. 21st Century Fox remains fully committed to completing the current Sky offer and anticipates that, subject to the necessary regulatory consents, the transaction will close by June 30, 2018. Assuming 21st Century Fox completes its acquisition of Sky prior to closing of the transaction, The Walt Disney Company would assume full ownership of Sky, including the assumption of its outstanding debt, upon closing.
b09026f20746af565faaa59100875339.jpg

Zinoviev Letter said:
MatParker117 said:

I agree. Disney saw exactly what happened with LA/USPS in the United States. They could pull the plug at any time if they don't think the fit with pro cycling is a good one. I'm sure there's various clauses in either the Sky sponsorship agreement or more general ones in their purchase agreement with Murdoch that would let this happen.

I'd be very worried if I was a Sky rider right now, and not just if my name was Christopher Froome.

Bolder said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
MatParker117 said:

I agree. Disney saw exactly what happened with LA/USPS in the United States. They could pull the plug at any time if they don't think the fit with pro cycling is a good one. I'm sure there's various clauses in either the Sky sponsorship agreement or more general ones in their purchase agreement with Murdoch that would let this happen.

I'd be very worried if I was a Sky rider right now, and not just if my name was Christopher Froome.

2018 season is safe I´d guess. what will happen after Dec 31st 2018 is unknown

Bolder said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
MatParker117 said:

100% agree. The Froome saga doesn't even come into. The coffin is likely well and truly shut, no more nails required, the minute this takeover gets confirmed. As you say, post Lance, I don't see any way on earth that Disney, with the image they want the world to have of them, will want to be anywhere near the world of pro cycling. Whatever the stories say, the Murdochs are as ruthless in business as anyone you're ever likely to come across. There's 39 billion dollars at stake, don't expect them to have fought too hard to protect their little cycling project when negotiating the deal.
All it takes is a slow news day and some journo with an easy story about the kings of good wholesome family entertainment and the links to those dirty cyclists and Disney will be looking to cut all ties rapidly. They have deep pockets to get them out of any financial commitments they might need to honour to do this.
What the whole Froome saga does mean is that it's even less likely that a replacement sponsor willing to put in even a fraction of the backing they got from Sky will come forward.
So yes, I agree, the days of Team Sky are coming to an end.

brownbobby said:
Bolder said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
MatParker117 said:

100% agree. The Froome saga doesn't even come into. The coffin is likely well and truly shut, no more nails required, the minute this takeover gets confirmed. As you say, post Lance, I don't see any way on earth that Disney, with the image they want the world to have of them, will want to be anywhere near the world of pro cycling. Whatever the stories say, the Murdochs are as ruthless in business as anyone you're ever likely to come across. There's 39 billion dollars at stake, don't expect them to have fought too hard to protect their little cycling project when negotiating the deal.
All it takes is a slow news day and some journo with an easy story about the kings of good wholesome family entertainment and the links to those dirty cyclists and Disney will be looking to cut all ties rapidly. They have deep pockets to get them out of any financial commitments they might need to honour to do this.
What the whole Froome saga does mean is that it's even less likely that a replacement sponsor willing to put in even a fraction of the backing they got from Sky will come forward.

maybe Disney could create a "High-Road" situation. they pull the SKY brand from the jersey, and the team races with another name? Murdoch will have thought about this before selling?

pastronef said:
brownbobby said:
Bolder said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
MatParker117 said:

maybe Disney could create a "High-Road" situation. they pull the SKY brand from the jersey, and the team races with another name? Murdoch will have thought about this before selling?

Possible, but the link to Disney will still remain, to be easily highlighted by anyone with an agenda. I don't see any upside for Disney so why keep the skeleton in the closet?

I think you over estimate how much Team Sky means to Murdoch. All that matters to him is the money.

Of course, the Murdochs walk away from this with lots and lots of money burning a hole in their pockets. If they really do care about the team, maybe Team Sky becomes Team Murdoch, a la Tinkoff Saxo.

Unlikely, but who knows!

pastronef said:
brownbobby said:
Bolder said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
MatParker117 said:

I agree with concesus here. When it comes to real business, Murdoch won't give a *** about small hobby called pro-cycling.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/geraint-thomas-i-believe-chris-froome-but-im-racing-my-own-tour-de-france/

It seems like Team Sky are preparing for a year without Froome. Thomas wants a free/co-leader role in the Tour which I think suits him a lot better with the not so steep, but much longer climbs and the stage with cobbles.

If Froome gets suspended they could go with Poels (with Bernal as back-up) for the Giro, Thomas (with Kwiatkowski as back-up) for the Tour and Henao (with Moscon as back-up) for the Vuelta.

Re:

WheelofGear said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/geraint-thomas-i-believe-chris-froome-but-im-racing-my-own-tour-de-france/

It seems like Team Sky are preparing for a year without Froome. Thomas wants a free/co-leader role in the Tour which I think suits him a lot better with the not so steep, but much longer climbs and the stage with cobbles.

If Froome gets suspended they could go with Poels (with Bernal as back-up) for the Giro, Thomas (with Kwiatkowski as back-up) for the Tour and Henao (with Moscon as back-up) for the Vuelta.

I have the feeling that Thomas will lead the Tour team no matter the outcome.

Thomas is under contract for 2018 correct? Could he realistically break this if Froome is found guilty (giving a pathetic short ban) and isn't sacked, based on his 'signing for a team with a zero tolerance policy'.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Re:

yaco said:
You can see Thomas' frustration with the team - Think he's also backing in Froome won't be in top shape for the TDF - He'll be with a new team in 2019.

He's been pretending to be fed up with the team for a couple of years now yet he keeps renewing his contract :lol:

Anyway, with the Froome/Wiggins backlash, I wonder how the reception on the European mainland for Team Sky will be in 2018? And with European mainland I mean France, since the rest of the mainland has been sucking up Anglo-Saxon fairytales since the Thatcher/Reagan era.

Der Effe said:
yaco said:
You can see Thomas' frustration with the team - Think he's also backing in Froome won't be in top shape for the TDF - He'll be with a new team in 2019.

He's been pretending to be fed up with the team for a couple of years now yet he keeps renewing his contract :lol:

Anyway, with the Froome/Wiggins backlash, I wonder how the reception on the European mainland for Team Sky will be in 2018? And with European mainland I mean France, since the rest of the mainland has been sucking up Anglo-Saxon fairytales since the Thatcher/Reagan era.

AS I posted previously,Thomas next year will have wasted two years of his career - Needs to be a leader ( classics and one week stage races ) at a different team - Anyway he's always happy in January riding the TDU and watching some Big Bash cricket.

TRENDING THREADS