• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 90 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

sir fly said:
Well, the news certainly created some publicity, and that might just have been its purpose during this off season time.
Could be a pure technicality created out of Comcast takeover which should be finalized during the next spring.
We'll see what is it all about..

Maybe they were tired of Movistar getting all the off season news, even if it's more of Landa and Quintana arguing over the Tour or something.

Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Mayomaniac said:
Jancouver said:
"Cyclingnews sources say that 10 Team Sky riders earn more than €1 million per season."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-to-closely-follow-team-sky-sponsorship-search/

Who can name those 10 millionaires?
Froome
Thomas
'custard' Poels
Bernal
Kwait
Rosa (3.5M overall for 3 years and he hasn't done a lot since signing with them, winning!)
I wouldn't be surprised if Castro and De la Cruz also earn Rosa level money
Rowe (has been their main guy for the cobbles)
Maybe Moscon, if he got a better deal when he resigned with them.
Sergio Henao?
Moscon almost has to be.
Dunno when Stannard last resigned but he was doing great on the cobbles a few years ago.

Castro I can definitely see, and DLC was brought in as supposed secondary leader for GTs.

I'd also go with Sergio Henao as one of the 10.

I'm sure Castro is getting that kind of money. I don't think he'd have gone there for less.

Koronin said:
Red Rick said:
Mayomaniac said:
Jancouver said:
"Cyclingnews sources say that 10 Team Sky riders earn more than €1 million per season."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-to-closely-follow-team-sky-sponsorship-search/

Who can name those 10 millionaires?
Froome
Thomas
'custard' Poels
Bernal
Kwait
Rosa (3.5M overall for 3 years and he hasn't done a lot since signing with them, winning!)
I wouldn't be surprised if Castro and De la Cruz also earn Rosa level money
Rowe (has been their main guy for the cobbles)
Maybe Moscon, if he got a better deal when he resigned with them.
Sergio Henao?
Moscon almost has to be.
Dunno when Stannard last resigned but he was doing great on the cobbles a few years ago.

Castro I can definitely see, and DLC was brought in as supposed secondary leader for GTs.

I'd also go with Sergio Henao as one of the 10.

I'm sure Castro is getting that kind of money. I don't think he'd have gone there for less.
Possibly van Baarle? Sky had to outbid a few teams to get him

Re:

dastott said:
People forget that Sky's budget has increased quite a lot in the last 3 years but it wasn't always so big, and even when it was smaller they still dominated the TdF. So, I see no issues with a budget of 15-20m for them, if they can find that.

http://inrng.com/2013/10/finances-team-sky-accounts/
Not if they really do have 10 riders on €1M a year. They would need a good size secondary sponsor or two or to drop some of their best paid riders.

42x16ss said:
dastott said:
People forget that Sky's budget has increased quite a lot in the last 3 years but it wasn't always so big, and even when it was smaller they still dominated the TdF. So, I see no issues with a budget of 15-20m for them, if they can find that.

Not if they really do have 10 riders on €1M a year. They would need a good size secondary sponsor or two or to drop some of their best paid riders.

Agreed, but it wouldn't be a huge shock if Froome won number 5 next July and decided to retire. He's made no secret of wanting 5, and he's won everything in the last couple of years that he could have possibly imagined. That would free up a huge chunk of budget space.

42x16ss said:
dastott said:

Yep, plus its ten riders on more than €1m. Froome, Thomas and Kwiat are probably earning the best part of €10m between them. Their money has hugely distorted the market and the competition.

Re:

Nirvana said:
During an auto celebrative clip on Sky Sport 24 they said "2019 will be the last year for us and in 2020 there will be new colors but with the same riders", they already know the new sponsor?
It feels like there already is a replacement sponsor. They are so confident of staying alive despite the staggering budget, it's almost as if there is some backing in place. The 5-year-contract with Bernal is also a sign. The license holder of Team Sky is still liable for that contract.

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

The fact that Froome came out within an hour or so of the announcement yesterday and thanked Sky for their backing but then pretty much said the team will continue in the same form in 2020 speaks volumes

Looking at the exisiting Sky 'partners' what about Ford taking over as title sponsor? they definitely have 35m per year to drop on sponsorship without really having to think about it. I know it is left field but i am calling it now as a bold outside bet

Re:

rick james said:
That would just be amazing, folk in here getting wet dreams about no more Sky yet they already have a major sponsor on board to take over...biggest LOL since 2 days before the Tour 2018

It would be interesting to see if some of the insufferable fans, who came to the sport purely because of a jingoistic support for Sky's promotion of British riders (^^^^^), continue their interest when the team is sponsored by the Qatari government, and their race leader is Bernal.

I'm guessing they will gradually lose interest. Which is a win for everyone else.

DFA123 said:
rick james said:
That would just be amazing, folk in here getting wet dreams about no more Sky yet they already have a major sponsor on board to take over...biggest LOL since 2 days before the Tour 2018

It would be interesting to see if some of the insufferable fans, who came to the sport purely because of a jingoistic support for Sky's promotion of British riders (^^^^^), continue their interest when the team is sponsored by the Qatari government, and their race leader is Bernal.

I'm guessing they will gradually lose interest. Which is a win for everyone else.

There will be some fans who lose interest but I would hazard anyone passionate to post on a forum won't be put off by that.

Midnightfright said:
DFA123 said:
rick james said:

There will be some fans who lose interest but I would hazard anyone passionate to post on a forum won't be put off by that.

Even on forums, there would be quite a few British Sky fans who might not identify quite as closely with Egan Bernal’s Saudi Arabian All Stars.

Re:

rick james said:

:D
It was Monday, 2nd of July.

@Eli
I can assure you: Bot. Sky_Bot will return (maybe a bit rebranded..).

Nirvana said:
Long term contracts of some riders are a big asset now that Brailsford needs to find a new sponsor, especially if we talk about young and promising talents.

Asset or liability?

Sky seems to have been paying above market value for a lot of riders and a new owner would have to take over those contracts probably (or Sky pays them off before selling?).

I doubt it's a positive thing for pro cycling as a whole for less money to be in the sport, but cycling has been through worse obviously.

Zinoviev Letter said:
Midnightfright said:
DFA123 said:
rick james said:

Even on forums, there would be quite a few British Sky fans who might not identify quite as closely with Egan Bernal’s Saudi Arabian All Stars.

There are certainly a couple I would agree with that. There are a good proportion of people who will just be drawn too the biggest budget most dominant teams as well

DFA123 said:
rick james said:

I've never really understood why some fans got so attached to particular teams in cycling anyway. It's business through and through on the administrative side. Cheering on "Bora Hansgrohe" or "AG2R La Mondiale" seems ridiculous to me.

Midnightfright said:
DFA123 said:
rick james said:

AusCyclingFan proves you wrong :p

TRENDING THREADS