• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 102 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Bolder said:
cantpedal said:
Bolder said:
rick james said:
I’m sure the bottles are bio degradable

I don't think they are, though I know such technology exists. that doesnt account for all the bidons, energy gels etc that also get junked. The solution would be simple, which is that the UCI requires races to site large, clearly marked bins every 5k or so, and fine riders/teams who don't at least make an effort to get the old bottles etc. into the bins.

But back to Ineos -- I'd never heard of them. Despite what Sky (the corporation) have said, the drip drip drip of doping must have had an effect, and the AAF probably was the last straw. As a media brand used and known by people the world over, Sky probably figured they were getting a negative rate of return on their cycling investment, at least measured by credibility and image enhancement. But I think those sorts of things are less important for a faceless company like Ineos that doesn't brand anything and primarily sells B2B.

Ignores the simple fact that Sky was purchased by another company that sees little to no value in supporting cycling. Cycling is not even a blip on the US medias radar where most of Comcast's interests lie.

I agree,to a point. But Sky remains a European and UK brand where cycling is huge. I still have to think that Sky’s issues made it nearly impossible to justify retaining the sponsorship. We will never know exactly what went on behind closed doors when the decision was taken.

However, Comcast now owns Sky. Although Sky is still British, Comcast is not. However, I think it's as much of not enough return on investment as it is anything else. Comcast is very much a bottom line company.

G thinks Bernal might end up going for the Giro-Tour double! Wow!
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/geraint-thomas-on-track-for-tour-de-france-defense/
"I feel like there's less pressure because I've done everything I ever wanted to do," Thomas said. "It doesn't mean I'm less motivated, I just don't feel I've got anything to prove. I'm still determined as ever to win it again, but if I don't then hopefully [Chris Froome] or Egan [Bernal] does. That whole thing will be played out on the road, as it was last year."

Re:

Robert5091 said:
G thinks Bernal might end up going for the Giro-Tour double! Wow!
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/geraint-thomas-on-track-for-tour-de-france-defense/
"I feel like there's less pressure because I've done everything I ever wanted to do," Thomas said. "It doesn't mean I'm less motivated, I just don't feel I've got anything to prove. I'm still determined as ever to win it again, but if I don't then hopefully [Chris Froome] or Egan [Bernal] does. That whole thing will be played out on the road, as it was last year."

I hope Bernal says that he is too tired from the Giro efforts and go to the Vuelta instead. Sending him Giro-Tour at 22 years of age is almost criminal.
But its curious to see so many GC riders going Giro-Tour this year like Dumoulin, Nibali, Landa and Roglic. Kind of weird.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/o...faces-green-protest-Tour-Yorkshire-month.html
Face masks of Britain’s richest man, Jim Ratcliffe, will be circulated to cycling fans by environmental campaigners at next week’s Tour de Yorkshire in protest against Team Sky’s new owners.

Team Sky are using the race to morph into Team INEOS after securing a three-year £120million deal with the petrochemicals giant.

But environmentalists led by Friends of the Earth are planning to campaign against INEOS’s involvement with fracking, with local groups set to attend the Team launch on May 1 before protesting over the course of the four-day stage race.

Good warm up for TdF when the farmers, Yellow Vests etc join in. Let's hope for no stupid incidents.

Just imagine you hadn’t seen any racing since 2011 and then caught the Tour of the Alps. You’d be impressed Chris Froome had carved out a career for himself as a domestique and could reach nearly the top of the penultimate climb. And thrilled that a young Brit could win two stages in such a big race.

Re: Team Sky Discussion thread

Must be a little surreal for TGH to have the greatest Grand Tour rider of the last decade (and one of the best of all time) working as your domestique. Riding with the Top Dawg at an altitude camp and then a tough stage race must be just about the best cycling education available at any price, any where.

Re:

laughingcavalier said:
Just imagine you hadn’t seen any racing since 2011 and then caught the Tour of the Alps. You’d be impressed Chris Froome had carved out a career for himself as a domestique and could reach nearly the top of the penultimate climb. And thrilled that a young Brit could win two stages in such a big race.

It would all make sense :D

Are the two Sky riders who are doing so well in this race, expected to race at the Tour? Sky (who whatever they are called) might be stronger than ever before :surprised:

Re: Re:

gregrowlerson said:
laughingcavalier said:

It would all make sense :D

Are the two Sky riders who are doing so well in this race, expected to race at the Tour? Sky (who whatever they are called) might be stronger than ever before :surprised:

They are both due to ride the Giro in support of Bernal i think. Will be quite a young team. Who else will be riding the Giro with those 3? I assume Puccio, Rosa, Ellisonde

The team for Giro looks very promising. Especially since Sivakov and Tao been performing well. Sosa has been too, earlier in the season.

The one thing is that they are all very young and only Tao has actually completed a GT before. I can see they fading badly in a 3rd week or not completing the race at all. Bernal might have to defend himself on his own.

But then again it is this team... and they will probably be fine. Especially since they seem to have had a breakthrough and in good form.

Salvarani said:
The team for Giro looks very promising. Especially since Sivakov and Tao been performing well. Sosa has been too, earlier in the season.

The one thing is that they are all very young and only Tao has actually completed a GT before. I can see they fading badly in a 3rd week or not completing the race at all. Bernal might have to defend himself on his own.

But then again it is this team... and they will probably be fine. Especially since they seem to have had a breakthrough and in good form.

If Elissonde, Puccio and Rosa are riding there's about 20 GT finishes between them isn't there?

King Boonen said:
Salvarani said:

If Elissonde, Puccio and Rosa are riding there's about 20 GT finishes between them isn't there?

They wasnt the subjects of my post either or was they?

Also, I wouldnt call those 3 very reliable...

Salvarani said:
King Boonen said:
Salvarani said:

Yes, but you suggest that Bernal would otherwise have to solely rely on those three, which is not the case. I agree that Elissonde and Rosa may not be the most reliable, but I think Puccio is very reliable, he's usually simply reliable, but tends to excel if needed, like on Los Machucos when Froome was in trouble in the Vuelta, or when Froome turned the Giro upside down and the day after, when he was there until the final climb.

Vasilis said:
Salvarani said:
King Boonen said:
Salvarani said:

Yes, but you suggest that Bernal would otherwise have to solely rely on those three, which is not the case. I agree that Elissonde and Rosa may not be the most reliable, but I think Puccio is very reliable, he's usually simply reliable, but tends to excel if needed, like on Los Machucos when Froome was in trouble in the Vuelta, or when Froome turned the Giro upside down and the day after, when he was there until the final climb.

If you read the post before mine, I was posting within that context. Sorry, for not including every name on the team.

I also wrote ”might have to defend on his own”. I didnt say he wouldnt have any help if the 3 youngsters fail to perform. Which I also think is unlikely. Which I alluded to in my post.

Salvarani said:
King Boonen said:
Salvarani said:

It was those bits that drew my question, even without those riders two of the three names in your post have finished a GT.

Puccio seems pretty reliable, Rosa and Ellisonde can probably do a job. It's hard to judge what some domestiquea are capable of and in a team like Sky I can imagine that these guys get relegated to grunt work a lot of the time that we don't see. Maybe they'll step up if they're given the chance.

King Boonen said:
Salvarani said:
King Boonen said:
Salvarani said:

It was those bits that drew my question, even without those riders two of the three names in your post have finished a GT.

Puccio seems pretty reliable, Rosa and Ellisonde can probably do a job. It's hard to judge what some domestiquea are capable of and in a team like Sky I can imagine that these guys get relegated to grunt work a lot of the time that we don't see. Maybe they'll step up if they're given the chance.

Sosa hasnt started one.
Sivakov DNF.

So how am I wrong for saying only Tao is the one that has completed a GT out of the three?

TRENDING THREADS