• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 110 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Lequack said:
Hope Geraint can start the Tour. We've already been robbed of the Froome vs Geraint spectacle.

D9XPTJlWwCIi-oW.jpg:large
This picture is pure win :lol: :lol: :lol:

JRanton said:
Expecting the team to be:

Thomas
Bernal
Poels
Kwiatkowski
Moscon
Castroviejo
Van Baarle
Rowe

Strong team with a lot of good all rounders.
I can't believe how some in this forum find this line-up underwhelming. This team has enough TT talent to win the TTT, be strong in the North week 1, put 5 riders in a reduced GC group in the mountains, I don't see any weakness.

Yeah, don’t see any way this team is anything but head and shoulders above other teams. The only time the Sky/Ineos train has not dominated in the Tour is when the leader of the team has not performed, whether through crashing out or just not being ready (2010). Neither of which are to be hoped for.

Tonton said:
JRanton said:

Thomas
Bernal
Poels
Kwiatkowski
Moscon
Castroviejo
Van Baarle
Rowe

I can't believe how some in this forum find this line-up underwhelming. This team has enough TT talent to win the TTT, be strong in the North week 1, put 5 riders in a reduced GC group in the mountains, I don't see any weakness.

I mean if Froome was fit and there were still nine man teams it would rank alongside some of the greatest Tour teams of all time. As it is, it’s still an extremely good team.

Tonton said:
JRanton said:

Thomas
Bernal
Poels
Kwiatkowski
Moscon
Castroviejo
Van Baarle
Rowe

I think its a great team. However, I do think they might lack one more pure climber.
Robert5091 said:
SDB going with the ol' joint leader bs - if G was at 100% then he'd be the "protected rider" (or whatever they call it). If Poels has an off day at TdF, G & Bernal could be on their own pretty quickly.
Because this. Say Bernal is in yellow the train works its magic into Valloire. But Poels is now tired. And Movistar decide to go all out to Izoard, burning off Olveira, Sepulveda, Anacona, Soler, in quick sucession. All of the sudden maybe Kwiato and Moscon are still holding on, barely. And the FDJ move to the front and let Reichenback and Gaudu lead the charge. Then its just Pinot, Landa, Quintana and Bernal over the top, with 25km of valley roads to go, and reinforcements a long way away. Bernal mind find himself frantically trying to defend against attacks in the flat.
So yeah, while it is a great luxury, I think Brailsford is a bit too fond of his renaissance rider roster.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Pretty optimistic Poels would get dropped on the Izoard
Poels is a beast, and I think he's as sharp as he's ever been. And can probably make short work of the Izoard on most days. But he can have an off day, particularly if he's going to be the only one who's doing any work at the end. There's usually been both a Sergio Henao and a Mikel Nieve that can rotate in fresh and be the last guy on the train, so Bernal/Landa/Thomas/Porte or whoever doesn't have to do any work on most stages. So Sky has always had a bit more firepower than requisite in the mountains, and it has allowed them to rotate riders in an out of the mountain train depending on their feelings on the day. Maybe Moscon, Kwiato or even Van Baarle are up for that role alongside Poels, but I might have gone for de la Cruz, Elissonde or Sivakov instead (to be honest their options are thinner in that sense).

So methinks they might miss that additional climber, particularly if Bernal turns out to be the on-form rider. Unless Thomas loses big chunks of time early and would actually be willing to really ride for him. Which, as much as "G" has been a consummate team player so far in his career, is a big ask.

And -my bad- I actually meant Col d'Iseran. Although Izoard works just as well. Or it could also be Notre Dame du Pre or wherever.

Re: Re:

Pricey_sky said:
tobydawq said:
F_Cance said:
Ineosky. Ruining the TdF since 2012

The worst part is that even if they lead by a healthy margin, they will still try to strangle the fight for the minor placings just because they can.

No, there are plenty of teams that love to protect their valuable 8th and 9th places on GC that do that for them.

I still remember the Tour of 2016 when they meddled in things that didn't concern them.

Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Pricey_sky said:
tobydawq said:
F_Cance said:
Ineosky. Ruining the TdF since 2012

The worst part is that even if they lead by a healthy margin, they will still try to strangle the fight for the minor placings just because they can.

No, there are plenty of teams that love to protect their valuable 8th and 9th places on GC that do that for them.

I still remember the Tour of 2016 when they meddled in things that didn't concern them.

And I remember every other Tour when teams chase down breaks because there’s a guy who might leapfrog them into 10th on GC :lol:

TRENDING THREADS