• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 113 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Red Rick said:
The good ol' 1/2 after top dog crashes out is on bois
What else did you expect? They gave a false hope and deluded everyone that they were not gonna win this time, and look, suddenly they are in a prime position for 1-2 finish.

At least Bernal was very good from a very young age and I got used to Froome who is entertaining when not in the lead. But Thomas is just extremely boring to watch :rolleyes:

Re: Re:

macbindle said:
Red Rick said:
bigcog said:
Apparently, they chose a leader last night, so it will all become clear on the road today I guess.
Geraint Thomas

The first democratically elected Tour de France champion

Ahem. Might want to rethink that
tenor.gif

Riis vs Ulrich
Armstrong vs Contador
Thomas vs Bernal

The third instalment of team leader vs young upstart isn't as bitter or spicey, and massive credit must go to Thomas at that. He may be losing a bike race but with his attitude he continues to win at life.

VayaVayaVaya said:
Well GT is no Hinault or Armstrong. The analogy would make sense if this was a Froome/Bernal situation. GT was a lucky stop gap. Also, Froome would have demolished the field.

I think so too. Froome must have been showing very good signs in his big pre-Dauphine training camp for Brailsford to come out a day before his huge crash (and before the big Dauphine mountain stages) and say he was going to be the outright leader at the Tour. Thomas and Bernal would have had nothing more than slightly protected status and would effectively have been domestiques for Froome. Amazing to think how different the race would have been.

Re:

Fergoose said:
Riis vs Ulrich
Armstrong vs Contador
Thomas vs Bernal

The third instalment of team leader vs young upstart isn't as bitter or spicey, and massive credit must go to Thomas at that. He may be losing a bike race but with his attitude he continues to win at life.
Yeah, I mean, he didn't cede his ground. He took his chances even at some expense to the team goal, when he clearly wasn't climbing as well as Pinot and Bernal. But he picked his spots. And he handled the relationship with Bernal about as well as you could have. That only goes to show how much he wanted it and that he's truly a team player despite his own ambitions.

To be fair, Bernal and the team have also handled this about as well as it can be handled.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves. If this was Sky-train circa 2015 I'd say no-one is stopping them from precisely executing a 60km TTT. I would still think they should be able to pull it off, but I'm not sure that's the case. I mean, I don't see anyone knocking back a minute from Bernal uphill, but it's been a wild Tour.

therealthing said:
Very odd to see Ineos so weak at this Tour- would love to know why. Loss of Froome alone doesn't explain this.

Today was by far their best day in the mountains and they were ultimately strong enough to get the job done.

Moscon has struggled for form all season so his poor form hasn't been a surprise.
Kwiatkowski's had a very poor second half of the Tour, which is a surprise, but to be fair to him his last two Tours were outstanding.
Castroviejo hasn't been as good as last year but the crash and injuries at Basque country hurt his Tour preparation.
Poels had his best day today but hasn't been great at all.
Rowe was probably riding his best Tour up until he was thrown off the race.
Van Baarle has been very impressive and clearly their best domestique.

Other than Bernal, Ineos have struggled for big wins and top form all season. Crashes haven't helped of course and at least the young riders on the team have been impressive.

JRanton said:
Castroviejo, Van Baarle and Poels were very good today which was vital because Kwiatkowski's had an awful second half of the Tour and Moscon and has been invisible on the climbs.
I agree. But that's also precisly the issue. They don't have any subs. Van Baarle has been dropping back from the break the last two stages, Castro has been putting in a lot of work early, and Poels has been there to the pointy end. Unless Kwiato and Moscon can make a resurgence it's going to be a big ask for them to boss this stage.

carton said:
JRanton said:
Castroviejo, Van Baarle and Poels were very good today which was vital because Kwiatkowski's had an awful second half of the Tour and Moscon and has been invisible on the climbs.
I agree. But that's also precisly the issue. They don't have any subs. Van Baarle has been dropping back from the break the last two stages, Castro has been putting in a lot of work early, and Poels has been there to the pointy end. Unless Kwiato and Moscon can make a resurgence it's going to be a big ask for them to boss this stage.

i don't think it will ultimately matter because if Ineos are weak tomorrow then some other team will just set the pace for the majority of the climb and Bernal and Thomas can just follow.

i think their strategy was for Thomas to win the TDF. Bernal to attack on Iseran and the others would chase on the flats while G is comfortable behind their wheels. Once Bernal is caught or 3 k from the finish when the others are tired, G to attack, pass Bernal and win the TDF.
When the stage was terminated at Iseran, and Bernal was yellow, there were no emotions from Portal, G, DB or even Bernal himself. It was like a funeral procession. Any other rider or team would be ecstatic over getting the yellow.

Re:

IndianCyclist said:
i think their strategy was for Thomas to win the TDF. Bernal to attack on Iseran and the others would chase on the flats while G is comfortable behind their wheels. Once Bernal is caught or 3 k from the finish when the others are tired, G to attack, pass Bernal and win the TDF.
When the stage was terminated at Iseran, and Bernal was yellow, there were no emotions from Portal, G, DB or even Bernal himself. It was like a funeral procession. Any other rider or team would be ecstatic over getting the yellow.
Winning a TDF with a non British rider is a loss for them.

Re:

IndianCyclist said:

Is this true? I saw video of Bernal crying and Froome tweeted out some kind, congratulatory words. But the others?

Re:

IndianCyclist said:
The hate is strong with this one.

Re:

IndianCyclist said:

Thomas attacked first and got about 50m at most on the group. Bernal was sat behind Alaphilippe chilling at that point. When Thomas couldn’t take anymore of a gap and Kruijswijk attacked the group Bernal skipped round Alaphilippe and ride everyone of his wheels and away he went. He was clearly the strongest of the Ineos riders

Re: Re:

Scarponi said:
IndianCyclist said:
Winning a TDF with a non British rider is a loss for them.

They have 6? TdF with British riders. To win with a 22 year old phenomenon from SouthAerica will be ideal for them. Opens a new casual support base for them in South America

TRENDING THREADS