• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 117 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Velolover2 said:
Contador did the same thing after having won the Tour in 2007. In 2008, he won both the Giro and Vuelta.

After 2020, Froome and Thomas are senior riders and Bernal can target all the Tours he wants.
Contador without "external" factors forcing him to do otherwise would have ridden the Tour every single year for the majority of his career, he started to appreciate Giro and Vuelta (and probably disappreciate the Tour after how he was "welcomed" in 2011) only in the last part of his career, in 2008 he missed the Tour only because Astana wasn't invited and for this reason he went for Giro and Vuelta, in 2011 he rode the Giro because he knew he would have allowed to ride the Tour only after the Giro end, in 2012 he rode the Vuelta because in july he was still suspended and in 2014 he resheduled for the Vuelta only after he crashed out of the Tour. The first time that, when allowed to, he didn't put the Tour as the single centerpiece of his season was in 2015 when he decided to go for the double. Contador is even an unseen amongst spanish riders considering that, excluding when he crashed out of the Tour, he did the Tour/Vuelta double only in 2017 when the Vuelta was his farewell race.

Anyway regarding Bernal i can see him asking to go to the Giro because he's really tied with Piemonte where he lived until Sky relocated him to Andorra and where he has his fanclub and next year the Giro will likely be decided there, on climbs where he has trained for years, but eventually we should see if the team will let him do so considering that he's their best card to win the Tour.

Unless Froome or Thomas' numbers are great next season, I can't imagine them not sending Bernal to the Tour. They would be giving up their record of consecutive wins for little obvious gain - unless INEOS the chemicals company has a big Italian presence.

Re:

TMP402 said:
Unless Froome or Thomas' numbers are great next season, I can't imagine them not sending Bernal to the Tour. They would be giving up their record of consecutive wins for little obvious gain - unless INEOS the chemicals company has a big Italian presence.

I can't see any possible scenario where both Bernal and Froome don't do the Tour. Only injury or recovery issues will keep Froome out. Leadership like this year will be sorted out on the road.

Bernal happily goes to the Giro d'Italia finally after Androni Giocattoli never got invited when he was around and he missed it this year due to injury.

Afterwards he probably beats Froome at the Vuelta a Espana as he's fresher and becomes the new boss on Team Ineos as Froome likely hasn't won the Tour de France either.

Potentially he's won or at least podiumed all 3 grand tours aged 23,then.

Bernal won't defend his yellow next year. He only wins by not attempting to do so.

Re: Re:

movingtarget said:
TMP402 said:

I can't see any possible scenario where both Bernal and Froome don't do the Tour. Only injury or recovery issues will keep Froome out. Leadership like this year will be sorted out on the road.

If Froome doesn’t prove beforehand to Brailsford that, at 35, he can outride the guy who beat him to win the Tour in 2018, AND the 23 year old who beat that guy to win the Tour in 2019, then Froome will only go as a domestique.

Re: Re:

Leinster said:
movingtarget said:
TMP402 said:

If Froome doesn’t prove beforehand to Brailsford that, at 35, he can outride the guy who beat him to win the Tour in 2018, AND the 23 year old who beat that guy to win the Tour in 2019, then Froome will only go as a domestique.

I still think he will be a given a chance for a fifth Tour win but all things considered it won't be easy nigh impossible. Thomas with a better off season probably could have doubled up but his prep for the season plus a few crashes didn't help. I think his Tour opportunities will be over now with Ineos. A betting man would probably say that Bernal wins another Tour next year unless the opposition does something unusual like Quintana finds his 2015 form or Dumoulin getting more TT kms and returning to his best or Pinot actually finishes a grand tour.........hard to see the usual suspects beating Bernal. Hard to see who could beat him unless injuries, crashes etc come into play. Don't see Roglic beating him or Yates. Roglic went into the Giro over cooked but with the right timing he is still podium material for the Tour like Dumoulin. I'd like to see Thomas do the Giro even though the climbs and more chaotic racing probably don't suit him as much.

Bernal is going to the Tour next year unless Ineos want to try their best to lose it.

What about the Vuelta this year. Is Thomas going or is that just bookies trying to make the really easy money off people

Thomas seemed to finish the Tour in good shape. I guess it's possible. the only alternative would be to send some stage hunters. Poels didn't look too good in the Tour. Sivakov probably won't do a second GT this year.

Reactions: Red Rick
Where does Sivakov fit next year? One-week races again, or does he get promoted to top lieutenant at Giro/Tour? Or go for Vuelta as a co-leader? He's pretty damn impressive and clearly a future GT podium contender.

I have no idea how long he's under contract but at this point he's the fourth best GT rider on Ineos -- I'm not totally sure if he's all that far behind Thomas or Carapaz, actually. (I'm excluding Froome as we can't know his form right now).

If his progression continues, by 2021 he could podium at either Giro or Vuelta, or tbh even the Tour with the right team behind him.

Reactions: movingtarget
Where does Sivakov fit next year? One-week races again, or does he get promoted to top lieutenant at Giro/Tour? Or go for Vuelta as a co-leader? He's pretty damn impressive and clearly a future GT podium contender.

I have no idea how long he's under contract but at this point he's the fourth best GT rider on Ineos -- I'm not totally sure if he's all that far behind Thomas or Carapaz, actually. (I'm excluding Froome as we can't know his form right now).

If his progression continues, by 2021 he could podium at either Giro or Vuelta, or tbh even the Tour with the right team behind him.

Hard to see Sivakov being a team leader next year especially with Carapaz also now on board. I agree he has been impressive this season. Unfortunately I see him as possibly one of the riders that could be poached by other teams simply because of the Ineos depth. Depends when his contract expires of course and what happens with Thomas and Froome. At the moment I see him as a quality domestique for grand tours but also as a second GC choice if something happens to the leader. His Giro ride was very good. As of now he and Bernal are the future of the team for grand tours along with Carapaz.

Will Team Ineos' financial unfair play be tempered by this news?
_108377422_gettyimages-1146299134.jpg

Reactions: LaFlorecita
Will Team Ineos' financial unfair play be tempered by this news?
_108377422_gettyimages-1146299134.jpg

As Ratcliffes net worth is close to £20 billion, and Ineos were regularly making profits of several billion per year before they even suggested fracking on UK soil, my guess is they are going to be ok.

TRENDING THREADS