• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 120 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Surely you didn't expect them to be contenders with the team they have? There isn't one GT team leader in there. They should have lost bucket loads from the TTT and gone for stage wins from day 2.

Strange comment. Obviously you at least try for the GC on stage 2 and take it from there which they did. Poels has finished 6th at the Vuelta before whilst working for someone else and Hart has ridden strongly this season in several races. Clearly they have their weaknesses though which is why they are no longer in GC contention.

Last edited:
To finish first, first you must finish.

Anyway, wasn’t there like 12s between Pinot and Bernal going into stage 18? Given how Bernal finished the Tour in top form, and how Pinot normally struggles after a few days in very hot weather (by his own admission), it’s a bold claim to make.

Thomas and Sivakov have done ok, but it has been a below par season. It’ll be interesting next year with Carapaz joining on how they go about plans.

Froome, Thomas, Kwiatkowski and Moscon had 23 wins between them last year. None of them have won a race so far in 2019...

Froome, Thomas, Kwiatkowski and Moscon had 23 wins between them last year. None of them have won a race so far in 2019...

Froome’s reason is obvious. Thomas built his whole season around the Tour and finished 2nd, not bad. Kwiatkowski and especially Moscon have not had a good year at all and need to bounce back. Kwiato did have a half decent spring I suppose. Poels hasn’t been as useful as he has in the past, perhaps a stage win in the Vuelta can save his year.

Sivakov, Tao and Sosa have impressed in various stages.

Sep 4, 2019
Visit site
Today’s stage of La Vuelta represents the first race of a Grand Tour that Team Sky/Ineos have not had a rider placed in the first 100 finishers since the inception of the team.

Reactions: postmanhat
So- besides a 3rd and 2nd for TGH they had a shockingly bad Vuelta. Most of their riders seemed to be there to make up the numbers.

Am now watching Montreal- just 1 Ineos rider left among a huge peloton- WTF???

It’s been a really quiet year by Sky/Ineos standards. Bernal was obviously the big plus, winning the Tour, Paris-Nice and Suisse. Kwiatkowski started well with a podium in PN and Milan-San Remo but has done nothing since then. Thomas’ only result was a Tour 2nd and Froome was a big loss.

As for the others; Sivakov has impressed while Tao, Sosa, Dunbar and Lawless have done ok, but I feel like it’s been a year for a changing of the guard, with some of the old faces moving on for 2020. It’ll be interesting to see how the team shapes up in the next year or two. I believe they only have 19 riders signed for next year at the moment, so a few new faces could be announced.

So- besides a 3rd and 2nd for TGH they had a shockingly bad Vuelta. Most of their riders seemed to be there to make up the numbers.

Am now watching Montreal- just 1 Ineos rider left among a huge peloton- WTF???

They were nowhere in Quebec either so not really a surprise. Kwiatkowski is their only rider who I’d normally expect to be up there but his form is terrible.

Weirdly they actually won the two ‘preparation’ races before the Vuelta in Poland and at Burgos but of course with Sivakov and Sosa being so young they weren’t selected for the Vuelta having already done the Giro. I think Tao will be kicking himself because there was a golden opportunity for him to secure a high place on GC.

With that being said I don’t really understand their Vuelta selection. There was probably no need for either Kiryienka or Stannard yet alone taking both of them along with Puccio and Doull. Elissonde should have gone and would have likely have been their second best option to win a stage in the mountains.

It’s been a really quiet year by Sky/Ineos standards. Bernal was obviously the big plus, winning the Tour, Paris-Nice and Suisse. Kwiatkowski started well with a podium in PN and Milan-San Remo but has done nothing since then. Thomas’ only result was a Tour 2nd and Froome was a big loss.

As for the others; Sivakov has impressed while Tao, Sosa, Dunbar and Lawless have done ok, but I feel like it’s been a year for a changing of the guard, with some of the old faces moving on for 2020. It’ll be interesting to see how the team shapes up in the next year or two. I believe they only have 19 riders signed for next year at the moment, so a few new faces could be announced.
Looking at their wins this year- all bar a couple are from very young riders or riders relatively new to the team.

None of their star riders (Froome, Kwiatkowski, Thomas) have won a single race.

But the team's future seems bright- the average age of the team will soon plummet and all of Ineos' young riders are doing really well. Kwiatkowski is the real disappointment for me this year, and Moscon.

Looking at their wins this year- all bar a couple are from very young riders or riders relatively new to the team.

None of their star riders (Froome, Kwiatkowski, Thomas) have won a single race.

But the team's future seems bright- the average age of the team will soon plummet and all of Ineos' young riders are doing really well. Kwiatkowski is the real disappointment for me this year, and Moscon.

It’s interesting that for all the talk of salary caps and Ineos having too much money compared to other teams, they only have one rider (Bernal) in the top 40 in the UCI rankings and they’re only 5th in the team ranking behind DQS, Bora, Jumbo and Astana who have been by far the best teams this season.

Yes, sad to see Wout leave but I haven't heard anything about CK. I think he's 38 but not everybody is done at that age. He famously rode on all three legs of Froome's remarkable Tour-Vuelta-Giro triple crown so it would be great if he remains with the team in some capacity .... but hopefully as a rider. He would have a wealth of knowledge that some of INEOS's youngsters could benefit from.

Last edited:
Yes, sad to see Wout leave but I haven't heard anything about CK. I think he's 38 but not everybody is done at that age. He famously rode on all three legs of Froome's remarkable Tour-Vuelta-Giro triple crown so it would be great if he remains with the team in some capacity .... but hopefully as a rider. He would have a wealth of knowledge that some of INEOS's youngsters could benefit from.
Announced today: CK is back for at least one more year!

TRENDING THREADS