• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 122 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
That being said, I still think Froome has a better chance of winning the Tour next year than Thomas. I don’t see Thomas beating Bernal, but Froome still could.
Even if you put it that way- wouldn't the chance of Bernal having a crash, getting ill, having a mechanical on a bad moment on an echelon stage or Thomas gaining time after an attack not chased by Bernal for tactical reasons etc. be bigger than Froome beating Bernal in a straight fight, therefore making Thomas the more likely two win between him and Froome?

Whatever. Its complete recency bias
I don't know. Even only getting a paper win I feel like Schleck got more respect than Thomas is getting. Still, it's a rare situation when the 3 best GT riders are on one team. Even crazier that they've each won one in the last 3 years. Honestly, even if it's not new I find all this bunching of GT riders to be annoying. How cool would it be to watch the 3 of them racing the Tour against each other? Throw in Roglic and Dumo on different teams and that's a race I'd really love to watch.

Even if you put it that way- wouldn't the chance of Bernal having a crash, getting ill, having a mechanical on a bad moment on an echelon stage or Thomas gaining time after an attack not chased by Bernal for tactical reasons etc. be bigger than Froome beating Bernal in a straight fight, therefore making Thomas the more likely two win between him and Froome?

No, because the same could also be said of Froome, who has shown over the years he can also use all of those situations to gain time on someone, including attacking on a descent, crosswinds ect.

I think until the numbers come back that Froome can’t reach his peak again, or something unfortunate happens to him, Thomas must accept he’s probably third in line now. Ineos will do everything to make sure Froome is given every chance of going for five.

Thomad should focus on the Giro, where he could do well if (and it’s a big if) he’s motivated.

Yes, I'd like to see Thomas finish his 'unfinished business' at Giro. It's a race that should suit him - doesn't mind bad weather, usually more TTs than TdF, long climbs etc. Just hope he gives it a better shot than Wiggins.

Reactions: KZD
Yes, I'd like to see Thomas finish his 'unfinished business' at Giro. It's a race that should suit him - doesn't mind bad weather, usually more TTs than TdF, long climbs etc. Just hope he gives it a better shot than Wiggins.
Agreed, i think added to his olympic medals, one of the others Gt's (Giro or Vuelta) would be a better way to round out his palmares than a second TDF (which is very unlikely anyway)

Has Thomas been disrespected? If anything I have seen he is better received then Wiggins and Froome. Then before winning he always seemed like he had fan and riders respect.
People seem(ed) to "hate" Froome more on an amphibian level, whereas the disrespect that is thrown G's way is - perhaps - more factual? He won a Tour where his main opponents were tired from a grueling Giro. Therefore his win isn't (as) highly regarded.

Ineos could have four grand Tour winners in the Tour next year if Carapaz, Thomas, and Bernal ride, along with Froome. Be interesting to see who leads at the Giro and they will obviously want a better showing at the Vuelta after this year'train wreck. But of course it will be all about Froome trying for a record equalling fifth Tour. And if Rohan Dennis joins they have another workhorse but maybe not for the Tour team with no TTT and minimal TT kms. They won't be too worried about winning a TT stage in the Tour.

IF Dennis joins he could also ride the Giro to learn from Thomas given their similar backgrounds and strengths. However, given the 4 GT winners aboard plus Sivakov showing a lot of potential and seemingly a 'typical' Sky/Ineos rouleur-climber I wonder if Dennis will have to shelve his GC ambitions, at least for GTs if not 1 week races.

Everybody knows that ex-Team SKY rider Richie Porte was once a swimmer and has used swimming in the off-season during his pro cycling career, and it is common knowledge that Team INEOS head coach Tim Kerrison was once a swimming coach. Long before, though, another Australian used swimming in preparation for his 1983 World Professional Pursuit title, where he caught 1980 Olympic Pursuit champ Robert Dill-Bundi in the final with a kilometre to go! His name is Steele Bishop and this week he was in Manchester dominating his rivals in the age 65 to 69 group at the UCI World Masters Track Cycling Champs. No word on whether Sir Dave or Tim Kerrison met with Steele to discuss training methods and motivation practises in their never ending study of successful sports training protocols past and present, with an eye to the future successes of Team INEOS.

While Froome wasn't only "without any GT success" before the Vuelta, he was without any success at all.

Don't ever insults these results ever again :p
Major results[edit]

2005 1st Stage 2 Tour of Mauritius
2006 1st Overall Tour of Mauritius 1st Stages 2 & 3 2nd Anatomic Jock Race
2007 1st Overall Mi-Août en Bretagne 1st Stage 5 Giro delle Regioni 1st Stage 6 Tour of Japan 2nd Berg en Dale Classic 2nd Time trial, UCI B World Championships 3rd Road race, All-Africa Games 8th Tour du Doubs
2008 2nd Overall Giro del Capo 3rd Giro dell'Appennino 4th Overall Herald Sun Tour 6th Overall Volta ao Distrito de Santarém
2009 1st Stage 2 Giro del Capo 1st Anatomic Jock Race 4th Road race, National Road Championships 9th Gran Premio Nobili Rubinetterie
2010 2nd Time trial, National Road Championships 5th Time trial, Commonwealth Games 9th Overall Tour du Haut Var

Everybody knows that ex-Team SKY rider Richie Porte was once a swimmer and has used swimming in the off-season during his pro cycling career, and it is common knowledge that Team INEOS head coach Tim Kerrison was once a swimming coach. Long before, though, another Australian used swimming in preparation for his 1983 World Professional Pursuit title, where he caught 1980 Olympic Pursuit champ Robert Dill-Bundi in the final with a kilometre to go! His name is Steele Bishop and this week he was in Manchester dominating his rivals in the age 65 to 69 group at the UCI World Masters Track Cycling Champs. No word on whether Sir Dave or Tim Kerrison met with Steele to discuss training methods and motivation practises in their never ending study of successful sports training protocols past and present, with an eye to the future successes of Team INEOS.

As far as I remember Porte went from swimming to triathlons to cycling. Don't think the cross training would have hurt aerobically but looking at the body shape of the typical elite swimmer compared to pro cyclists it was obvious that his body shape and weight was going to change drastically once the swimming was mostly cut back. I remember back in the day some ice skaters would cycle in the off season while some pro cyclists would do cross country skiiing in the winter. Michael Woods of course went from endurance running to cycling and many of the Australian riders had successful track careers beforing moving to the road full time with variable success. Track cycling used to be much more popular and lucrative in Australia as it was in many other places but the 80's and 90's road contracts for the elite riders and new product endorsements put a stop to that. For most talented young riders the choice was going to be an obvious one after that.

GT's next year (assuming all well)?

Giro: Thomas, Carapaz, Sosa, Tao, Dennis, Amador, Puccio, Ganna

Tour: Froome, Bernal, Thomas, Sivakov, Kwaitkowski, Moscon, DVB, Rowe

Vuelta: Carapaz, Amador, Dennis, Castro, Dunbar, Narvaez, Doull, Lawless

A pretty good guess although it would seem a bit harsh on Castro to ditch him form the TdF team given his performances since joining. Although Moscon seemingly has a higher ceiling Castro seems a lot more reliable. Wouldn't be surprised if Kiryienka, Stannard or Knees also get GT call ups too.

I think Dennis is a good signing. Despite having a difficult character he is arguably the best time trial rider in the world and he will have some of the best equipment at his disposal which will almost surely mean wins, something that Ineos lacked this season with 0 stage wins in the Grand Tours and relatively few in other World Tour races and despite not racing the Olympics and Worlds in Ineos colours its still good for marketing to have the World TT champion which is also one of the biggest candidates to both titles.

Reactions: pastronef

TRENDING THREADS