• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 126 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yes, long live INEOS and all these wonderful corporations who profit from the destruction of the planet, suddenly becoming 'ethical' when they realise that there is money to be made or a brand image to be improved.

Glory to ethical capitalism!

right, so the hospitals from UK, France, Germany, Belgium should have refused free hand sanitisers produced by Ineos.........

here, a list of some products if you want to boycott.........
  • Solvents used in the production of insulin and antibiotics
  • Efficient and effective biofuels to improve the sustainability of modern transport
  • Chlorine to purify drinking water
  • Synthetic oils that help to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from road transportation
  • Modern plastics to package, protect and preserve food & drink
  • Materials to insulate houses, offices, electrical and telecommunications cables
  • Products transformed into automotive parts, used in medical applications, mobile phones, and construction

Reactions: pastronef
right, so the hospitals from UK, France, Germany, Belgium should have refused free hand sanitisers produced by Ineos.........

• Efficient and effective biofuels to improve the sustainability of modern transport
  • Synthetic oils that help to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from road transportation

• Materials to insulate houses, offices, electrical and telecommunications cables
  • Products transformed into automotive parts, used in medical applications, mobile phones, and construction
I think you've (wilfully?) misunderstood what I was saying. What you're saying is a non-sequitur. You've essentially constructed your own, new argument which doesn't really make any sense. Of course we shouldn't refuse what INEOS makes. But let's not fawn over a company making billions from oil refinery just because they have a marketing team.

Brailsford has always lacked self-awareness, so this statement should be no surprise. Still, quite funny to see the man who set up a cycling team with the sole objective of winning the Tour, and for about five years act as if he didn't care about any other race, now say that cycling depends too much on the Tour de France (!).

first thing I thought too.

Reactions: Koronin

they also produce chemicals for Toray carbon, yes, our bike frames

I don't understand what people expect the oil companies to do. We can go back to riding horses and bikes. I don't mind to be honest. Until we have a clear alternative they won't stop. That's up to the science and other variables that are outside of this forum interests. Otherwise just keep that language outside of this side of the forum. It is annoying!.
I agree people are over the top complaining about Ineos as if they are the only bad company supporting cycling but it is kinda funny that DB signed up just after doing a save the ocean stop plastic sponsorship. Just like him now claiming the TdF isn't essential to cycling

I agree people are over the top complaining about Ineos as if they are the only bad company supporting cycling but it is kinda funny that DB signed up just after doing a save the ocean stop plastic sponsorship. Just like him now claiming the TdF isn't essential to cycling
So they went from a cleaning the ocean campaign two years ago to promoting a unecessary 4x4 SUV polluting the earth. How fitting.

Ocean-Rescue belonged to SKY. their previous sponsor/backer.
the team put on its jersey what they were told. then the company SKY left, so now the team puts on its jersey what they told by the NEW sponsor. there´s NO RELATION between previous and following sponsor, as for any team and what they promote.

Europcar sponsor left so the team went from promoting car rentals to fuel/energy with Total-DirectEnergie.
I dont remember anyone saying, oh look! they promoted car rentals and now it´s fuel/energy!

teams promote what they´re paid for by their backers

So they went from a cleaning the ocean campaign two years ago to promoting a unecessary 4x4 SUV polluting the earth. How fitting.

Who says 4x4's are unnecessary? They're vital in many parts of the world, doing essential work.

Maybe in this photo the World Wildlife Fund should have turned down this Nissan 4x4 and used a Fiat 500 instead

preview-928x522.jpg

the team put on its jersey what they were told. then the company SKY left, so now the team puts on its jersey what they told by the NEW sponsor. there´s NO RELATION between previous and following sponsor, as for any team and what they promote.

Europcar sponsor left so the team went from promoting car rentals to fuel/energy with Total-DirectEnergie.
I dont remember anyone saying, oh look! they promoted car rentals and now it´s fuel/energy!

I know how sponsorships work. You can still criticize them for such a 360 though. The same as you can and should criticize any other team with dubious sponsors or regimes trying to sportswash.

Who says 4x4's are unnecessary? They're vital in many parts of the world, doing essential work.

Maybe in this photo the World Wildlife Fund should have turned down this Nissan 4x4 and used a Fiat 500 instead

preview-928x522.jpg
Yes, I'm sure the aim of Ratcliffe with the sponsorship change for the Tour, arguably the biggest and most watched sporting event that will still happen this year, is to promote his 4x4 to NGOs.

Yes, I'm sure the aim of Ratcliffe with the sponsorship change for the Tour, arguably the biggest and most watched sporting event that will still happen this year, is to promote his 4x4 to NGOs.

Who do you think is going to buy this? It's a working vehicle used by farmers, country vets, park and forestry commissions, infrastructure maintenance. Good luck doing those in a Smart Car. And cycling reaches a lot of rural areas.
This is meant to replace the old style Land Rover Defender and no-one's driving those in the city.

Reactions: pastronef
I know how sponsorships work. You can still criticize them for such a 360 though. The same as you can and should criticize any other team with dubious sponsors or regimes trying to sportswash.

no no no. the team DOES NOT CHOSE its sponsor. ho can you criticize them for something they had no power on?
Ochowiz (CCC) is lloking for a new sponsor. he CANNOT decice which sponsor will back him. he´ll take a backer that funds the team, any backer to make the team go on

As I said its over the top but funny. TDE going from car rental to car fuel is 2 sponsors from almost the same industry and completely different from save the ocean to kill the ocean. Ineos was a great catch for Brailsford but still its funny like if Bahrain or Israel were sponsored by Amnesty International next year

Reactions: Koronin
I wonder if the French people will show up on the side of the roads during the Tour in large numbers with signs and banners thanking INEOS for their generous donations of hand sanitizer to French hospitals. If they do, or don't, will make a clear statement about the level of their gratitude, or lack thereof, and might give corporations something to consider when making decisions about future charitable donations.

I wonder if the French people will show up on the side of the roads during the Tour in large numbers with signs and banners thanking INEOS for their generous donations of hand sanitizer to French hospitals. If they do, or don't, will make a clear statement about the level of their gratitude, or lack thereof, and might give corporations something to consider when making decisions about future charitable donations.

Very magnanimous, this thought that if you give something people have to make signs and banners to show their eternal gratitude.

Seriously, INEOS is a company you can hardly love, it's on the "bad" side no matter how much sanitizer they spend or how much they invest in cycling, but so are many, many others and sponsors that appear like knights in shining armour are rare, so personally I just accept it without being too thrilled about it.
I wish every team would make their jerseys from used fabric and spend money for forestation, but even if they do, of course they do it for marketing foremost or alone.

Have you lost your mind entirely? Ineos is a fossil fuel, petrochemical and fracking corporation. It is an evil parasitical presence on the earth in ways that completely dwarf trivial issues like sporting teams.

Have you lost your mind entirely? Ineos is a fossil fuel, petrochemical and fracking corporation. It is an evil parasitical presence on the earth in ways that completely dwarf trivial issues like sporting teams.

Unless you're the Unabomber living in the woods then you use products made possible by Ineos and their like every minute of your day. Where do think the plastic that made the device you about to post your reply on come from? Sustainably sourced plastic trees?

TRENDING THREADS