• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 142 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The number 1 tactic for Ineos is playing Pogacar against Roglic. The other tactics depend on fate or luck. I am sure Roglic is really pissed about what happened last year. Or at least Jumbo. They will probably will try to force the hand of UAE into responding to attacks. If they don't then they truly deserve to lose. And if Ineos doesn't attack or try to attack they also deserve to lose. Trying to do train here will be moronic. An Ineos train combined with the JV train will play 100% into Roglic's hands.

The number 1 tactic for Ineos is playing Pogacar against Roglic. The other tactics depend on fate or luck. I am sure Roglic is really pissed about what happened last year. Or at least Jumbo. They will probably will try to force the hand of UAE into responding to attacks. If they don't then they truly deserve to lose. And if Ineos doesn't attack or try to attack they also deserve to lose. Trying to do train here will be moronic. An Ineos train combined with the JV train will play 100% into Roglic's hands.
It's unlikely indeed that the two Slovenians would work together. There's a harsh rivalry between them.

I wonder how they will react if TG Hart attacks early in a mountain stage. He's only a helper, so not dangerous, right?

Last time around, Roglic worked with Pogacar as he was behind in time, countryman and he was distancing the other riders. This time around, he will only stick with Pogacar as he is the top favorite, same way he did to Nibali. JV wil send riders on the attack Kuss, SK, Vingegard etc forcing Pogacar to chase if his team is not there. The plan would be for Pogacar to waste energy throughout the TDF . Its the only way to stop any thermo attacks/TTs. Ineos would be wise to send their riders to follow or create the move, work with the other JV riders to create gaps for Pogacar to close. Roglic may even allow Carapaz up the road as long as the gap is recoverable in the TTs same strategy as the Giro 2019 except this time he has a good team. Upto 2nd week this would be the dominant strategy conserving energy and the last week the leaders should take up the attacking themselves. Failure is not an option for both teams but one will fail.
Every leader in Ineos has at least one critical flaw
Attack/CounterCrashMechanicalTacticsTTCrosswindDownhill
Carapaz++++--++
G------++++
Porte++------++----
TGH+--

Last edited:
Reactions: Eeslliw
I think JV won't let anyone go from Ineos until first TT. After TT they will have more clear picture of gaps and go from there.

At the same time I wouldn't be surprised, as some mentioned before, if JV would wait for UAE to cover any attacks and just refused to help. But that could quickly backfire and one of INEOS guys would end on top.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I wouldn't count too much on Slovenians working against each other in a way others could profit much from it.

Looking at previous encounters (Vuelta 2019, Tour 2020) where they clerly worked together, one would say it's unlikely. But the way TJV ride and lost Tour to Pogacar last year, and how they talk they will ride differently, and also talking how Pogacar is big favorite and all. I would put my money we will see frustrated Pogacar because Roglic will refuse to work with him.

Last time around, Roglic worked with Pogacar as he was behind in time, countryman and he was distancing the other riders. This time around, he will only stick with Pogacar as he is the top favorite, same way he did to Nibali. JV wil send riders on the attack Kuss, SK, Vingegard etc forcing Pogacar to chase if his team is not there. The plan would be for Pogacar to waste energy throughout the TDF . Its the only way to stop any thermo attacks/TTs. Ineos would be wise to send their riders to follow or create the move, work with the other JV riders to create gaps for Pogacar to close. Roglic may even allow Carapaz up the road as long as the gap is recoverable in the TTs same strategy as the Giro 2019 except this time he has a good team. Upto 2nd week this would be the dominant strategy conserving energy and the last week the leaders should take up the attacking themselves. Failure is not an option for both teams but one will fail.
Every leader in Ineos has at least one critical flaw
Attack/CounterCrashMechanicalTacticsTTCrosswind
Carapaz++++--
G------++++
Porte++------++--
TGH+--
Lol at "mechanical" being a critical flaw for Porte.

Looking at previous encounters (Vuelta 2019, Tour 2020) where they clerly worked together, one would say it's unlikely. But the way TJV ride and lost Tour to Pogacar last year, and how they talk they will ride differently, and also talking how Pogacar is big favorite and all. I would put my money we will see frustrated Pogacar because Roglic will refuse to work with him.

Yep. I predict at least one moment where Pogacar attacks, Roglic follows, then Carapaz jumps on their wheel, Pogacar looks at Roglic waiting for him to work, Roglic does nothing, Carapaz counters.

In Basque Country, Roglic deliberately surrendered the lead just to screw with Pogacar, so it's a very real possibility we'll see Carapaz in particular gain some time due to Rog & Pog eyeballing each other. Especially if Roglic has already gapped Pogacar in the TT.

Ineos will know this, i.e. the days of Roglic pulling Pogacar to the line on a climb are over (this already happened on the Col de la Loze last year where Lopez benefitted from the 'anti-Pog" games Jumbo were playing with Sepp Kuss, i.e. it was the Grand Colombier which marked the end of the Slovenian alliance).

I really do not understand their tactics (if even they have sth like that), but it looks like Ineos decided to f..ck out most of their possibilities in just one stage.
Well, it's all about too many leaders and not enough helpers. If there is a sole leader like Froome, he just wheelsucks Kwiatkowski and he's relatively save at the front. With 4 potential contenders, they need to choose who is on which wheel. You can accept 2 co-leaders and Ineos mastered this approach with Wiggo/Froome, Thomas/Froome and Thomas/Bernal getting both win and podium place simultaneously. No team can protect 4 riders when it's an ambush stage like this.

No need to protect Porte and Tao per se if they just didnt such as positioning, but they do. At least Porte do. Im pretty sure those two dropped the wheels of the rest of the team which didnt get caught and therefore lost time.
Sorry, maybe you are right, but I really can't understand what you mean... your English: Porte or /and Tao with no time losses mean a lot more opportunities for Ineos.
It is obvious, yes?

Well I'm sure it wasn't the plan and they won't be happy, but given the chaos today I think they may be a bit relieved (like JV perhaps) that at least their main contenders are still in the game. It could have been worse, I mean look at Movistar.
Strategically it now places much stress on Geraint. Carapaz has the ability to freelance and take time back but no one else can afford to leave GT or RC exposed. That's not exactly a plus but it should minimize the inter-team "rivalry" in the press. We know that Brailsford only really had one team leader and now he lives with his #2 choice, Geraint. The saving grace is DQS will be aiming at controlling the race for the next 7 days and working hard at it.

L

@
Strategically it now places much stress on Geraint. Carapaz has the ability to freelance and take time back but no one else can afford to leave GT or RC exposed. That's not exactly a plus but it should minimize the inter-team "rivalry" in the press. We know that Brailsford only really had one team leader and now he lives with his #2 choice, Geraint. The saving grace is DQS will be aiming at controlling the race for the next 7 days and working hard at it.
I dont think we know this at all. In fact I think most people on here think GT is the 1st choice with Caraoaz as the back up plan.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
It will be interesting to see what Ineos think of Rog and Pog watching each other yesterday. Are they gonna cancel each other out on some of the other uphill finishes leaving Ineos to try and get Carapaz or Porte back in the game? Not willing to chase down Ala without giving the other one a tow could help Ineos out.

TRENDING THREADS