• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 145 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Porte will be the obvious one to sacrifice as he has the largest time gap. Trouble is he might have the best form of the three and with Thomas looking affected from his shoulder its not getting any easier for Ineos. How they isolate Pogacar without him having some sort of incident or mechanical God knows as he has plenty of time up his sleeve on Porte and he's the best TT rider in the race at the moment.

No doubt Carapaz lost a little more than he would have liked to Pogacar, but given Roglic’s injuries he may well be Pogacar’s biggest threat come the mountains.
I thought Thomas’ TT was decent in the context of his injuries. Cannot imagine riding in a TT position is great with a dislocated shoulder. I suspect his ultimate role will be super domestique come the pyrenees but for Carapaz he needs to stay close enough in the GC in the Alps to be a viable foil.

Reactions: Summoned
Respect to carapaz even he couldn't gain time.
That's very ironic, ineos is the team in the peloton with the biggest budget, and the best team, they have a lot of gc guys, but they didn't have "the gc guy".
Carapaz is still a contender, just hopefully he didn't burn too many matches today to suffer tomorrow. Ineos had 5 riders in the main group, plus vanBaarle tailing in a couple minutes after having been in the break, so team-wise they still look strong.

Reactions: ppanther92
Respect to carapaz even he couldn't gain time.
That's very ironic, ineos is the team in the peloton with the biggest budget, and the best team, they have a lot of gc guys, but they didn't have "the gc guy".
I think Carapaz is the Ineos GC guy and he's proven it. Pogacar will try to add some damage to Ineos deficit in the next two days and he may need Carapaz along for the ride to eliminate their other Ineos GC threats (Porte, GT). That would go a long way to making Ineos contribute to race control work in week 2 and hopefully save UAE's resources for the last week. If Pogacar doesn't get seriously aggressive his team will blow themselves up trying to control and won't make it to the third week.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I think Carapaz is the Ineos GC guy and he's proven it. Pogacar will try to add some damage to Ineos deficit in the next two days and he may need Carapaz along for the ride to eliminate their other Ineos GC threats (Porte, GT). That would go a long way to making Ineos contribute to race control work in week 2 and hopefully save UAE's resources for the last week. If Pogacar doesn't get seriously aggressive his team will blow themselves up trying to control and won't make it to the third week.
I believe carapaz can go with pogacar on the mountains, the problem is the itt, and that's why i think carapaz can't beat pogacar. But yeah, this tour is not over, because emirates team are not so dominant, and it can happens an ambush in the mountains.
I'm not a big fan of carapaz but i respect what he did today. He's entertaining, he attacks.

Comparing Roglic to Thomas at the moment is pointless, one has a shoulder injury and has already admitted it caused him issues in the TT and the other has fallen multiple times and may not finish the race. On a normal day both are quality GC riders. Roglic will probably end up with more podiums but Thomas has the Tour win.

Reactions: Wyndbrook
following your insane logic

Carapaz is better at climbing than Roglic, I was right, he is proving it. Roglic is so overrated.

See how stupid you sounded?
Actually...you have warped events and space and convinced yourself. Look in the mirror and repeat: "who is stupid....who is stupid?". Either of you analysts can ask the question.

No one is "right" on the abilities of a GT winner's efforts after crashing harder than almost anyone on this forum. Unless you've had the impact on yourself and the abilities to proceed in a GT and finish it that these riders all have; the best you have is a guess or an opinion. Froome and Contador both crashed out of a Tour that Nibali won? Who was the best climber then?

Actually...you have warped events and space and convinced yourself. Look in the mirror and repeat: "who is stupid....who is stupid?". Either of you analysts can ask the question.

No one is "right" on the abilities of a GT winner's efforts after crashing harder than almost anyone on this forum. Unless you've had the impact on yourself and the abilities to proceed in a GT and finish it that these riders all have; the best you have is a guess or an opinion. Froome and Contador both crashed out of a Tour that Nibali won? Who was the best climber then?
Yeah, that was my point.

Carapaz looks to be favourite for 2nd step if he measures his efforts against his direct rivals rather than follow Pogacar.
Ineos can also go for stages. If I was the team I’d be tempted to withdraw Thomas if there is no improvement today. No point him trundling around in the groupetto for the whole tour

It's only the first week, yes Pog is stupidly strong at the moment, but the moment he shows weakness Ineos really need to hammer him. They need a lot of time on him before the ITT. Can it be done? It would be great if they can make a race of it instead of looking at the podium.

TRENDING THREADS