• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 148 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
With the TDF concluding today, that's now 5 GT's in the last 11 months. To which you can add pretty much 1.5 x classic seasons. I think for a team that is as GT orientated as Ineos, that cumulative effort will have bitten hard, and combined with some bad luck around crashes, I think there are a few battered and knackered riders out there.

But completely agree with those who note that the absence of a Plan B doesn't help. It was obvious after the Alps that there was little prospect of winning the GC so surely there were opportunities to mix it up and attack a little, whilst still leaving Castroviejo and Geoghegan Hart to protect Carapaz.

With the TDF concluding today, that's now 5 GT's in the last 11 months. To which you can add pretty much 1.5 x classic seasons. I think for a team that is as GT orientated as Ineos, that cumulative effort will have bitten hard, and combined with some bad luck around crashes, I think there are a few battered and knackered riders out there.

But completely agree with those who note that the absence of a Plan B doesn't help. It was obvious after the Alps that there was little prospect of winning the GC so surely there were opportunities to mix it up and attack a little, whilst still leaving Castroviejo and Geoghegan Hart to protect Carapaz.
I 'm not criticising their current director sportifs, but it would understandable if they are feeling the impacts following loss of Portal.

Only one for Pinnarello though

Another curious fact is that he replaced the Kask helmet he usually wears with Ineos (even on the XCO World Cups) for a Lazer (was that forced by his National Team due to sponsorship obligations?). He was also with a Wahoo heart rate band while with Ineos he uses Garmin powermeters (I wonder they also use the same brand for their powermeters).

Reactions: Sandisfan
Looks like Uncle Dave knows where they're at, like he said while ago:

"We have won one (GT) and finished third in the other. We have won more stage races this year than we have ever won, so I’m not sure where any pessimism is coming from.”

They have won 6 stage races so far this year. In other years the number of stage races they have won:

2010: 2
2011: 5 (including the back-dated Vuelta win)
2012: 6
2013: 8
2014: 6
2015: 8
2016: 8
2017: 4
2018: 10
2019: 8
2020: 3

How many of those were WT wins? They got 5 of those this year, including a GT. That would be a better comparison.
2 years were off on Netserk's list.
Yr Win (WT) GT Rider
2010: 2 (0). BS, RD
2011: 5 (including the back-dated Vuelta win) (3) 1 GT. GT, BW, SG, EBH, CF
2012: 8 (4) 1 GT. RP, 4x BW, EBH, MR, MC
2013: 8 (3) 1 GT. 5x (3)CF, RP, EBH, BW
2014: 6 (1) 0 GT. 2x (1)CF, 2x PK, BW, GT
2015: 8 (4) 1 GT. 3x (2)CF, GT, 3x (2)RP, LPN
2016: 8 (3) 1 GT. 3x (2)CF, WP, 2x (1)GT, ML, GM
2017: 5 (3) 2 GT. SH, GT, 2x CF, ML (6 counting Hammer Series team race overall)
2018: 10 (7) 2 GT. 2x (1)EB, 3x (2)MK, DR, CF, 2x GT, GM
2019: 8 (4) 1 GT. DvB, 3x EB, 2x (1)PS, CL, IS
2020: 3 (1) 1 GT. EB, JN, TGH
2021 6 (5) 1 GT. IS, AY, GT, EB, RP, RC

So of the 77 stage race overalls they have won, 38 have been World Tour and 12 Grand Tour overall wins. This makes their World Tour overall winning percentage 49% with 16% of those being Grand Tours. They average 6.4 overall wins a year. 3.1 of which is World Tour races and 1 being a Grand Tour win from these twelve years. The top 3 riders that have won the most overalls for the team are the following:
  1. Froome has won 17 overall wins with 12 being World Tour and 7 Grand Tours. 22% of their overall, 32% World Tour, and 58% Grand Tours comes from him.
  2. Thomas has won 9 overall wins with 4 being World Tour and 1 Grand Tour.
  3. Bernal and Wiggins both have 7 overall wins with 5 being World Tour but 2 and 1 Grand Tour respectfully.

Lots of transfer rumours here:

G Thomas must accept a significant pay cut in order to stay. Other teams may offer him more money. Cofidis, Qhubeka and Trek all linked but Trek and Cofidis have denied interest.

Next year will be Porte's final season.

Dennis has signed a two year deal with Jumbo.

Wurf and Golas are both expected to leave and probably retire. Doull has already signed with another World Tour team. Basso will also leave.

Sosa is expected to leave. Movistar the favourites. Seb Henao also set to depart.

Castroveijo and Puccio are both expected to sign contract extensions. Swift, Moscon and Rivera's futures are all question marks.

The only new signing known about at the moment is Luke Plapp, a young Australian neo pro.

Anyway, given that Brailsford didn't talk about WT stage races, it's not a better comparison (and it was still wrong). The point is that he clearly talks sh*t.
I think he exaggerated a little/made up a stat on the spot to make a point. That point being, any other team having the "terrible season" everybody thinks Ineos have been having, would be screaming about it from the rooftops for all to hear about how awesome they are.

Reactions: Eeslliw

TRENDING THREADS