• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos Discussion thread

Page 157 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ineos are the only team left with a 1-2 punch option with Yates and Geraint. I doubt it can remotely challenge for overall victory, but maybe for 2nd? The problem is TJV will likely neutralise anything they try out of respect for Geraint's ITT potential and in doing so, will likely protect 2nd for Pogacar.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I expected nothing really from Ineos after Martinez got sick. Matter of time for Pidcock and he cracked today, Yates has never thought an aggressive thought and Thomas is content with 3rd and has a great ITT.

These two will prolly just be there or thereabouts and do nothing but to ride for 3rd and 5th. I dont really blame them, but I hope to be surprised

I expected nothing really from Ineos after Martinez got sick. Matter of time for Pidcock and he cracked today, Yates has never thought an aggressive thought and Thomas is content with 3rd and has a great ITT.

These two will prolly just be there or thereabouts and do nothing but to ride for 3rd and 5th. I dont really blame them, but I hope to be surprised

Perhaps suggesting Yates has never thought of being aggressive is little Disengdnous.

Nothing they can do. They are riding against Sky.

Today was full of surprises. I would not bet that the GC is anywhere near being settled.

Reactions: VayaVayaVaya
Funny how Ineos were supposed to dominate this decade as well when they snapped the"top talents" Bernal, Sivakov..Dunbar...
Apparently they missed on the 2 biggest ones..

For the record, how do you rate peak Bernal compared to peak Vingegaard?
For the record, if peak Bernal was at the '19 TdF, Pinot was better than him, Thibaut dropped Egan like a wet sock two times in a row after taking more time against the clock before that. Stages 13 to 15. True.

To me the question is: how do you rate Vingo today compared to LeMond '86? Same finish, same stakes, we can compare the field and argue both ways.

Ineos thread it is, and as a team, they are well managed and play their cards well. Better than 3rf in Paris would be great when you go back and look at the starting list. Thomas (who was also dropped by PInot on several occasions in '19) is there. Not sexy and groovy. Is Adam going to turn into Simon?

Ineos is in a good place.

Yeah, they look fine. Won the most iconic mtf of the race with Pidcock and Thomas is on track for 3rd on the gc.
Ganna is improving after his crash on stage 2 and having back pain.
Yesterday he was part of the 35 riders in the main bunch on top of CdF and was leading the bunch into Alpe d'Huez.

For the record, if peak Bernal was at the '19 TdF, Pinot was better than him, Thibaut dropped Egan like a wet sock two times in a row after taking more time against the clock before that. Stages 13 to 15. True.

To me the question is: how do you rate Vingo today compared to LeMond '86? Same finish, same stakes, we can compare the field and argue both ways.

Ineos thread it is, and as a team, they are well managed and play their cards well. Better than 3rf in Paris would be great when you go back and look at the starting list. Thomas (who was also dropped by PInot on several occasions in '19) is there. Not sexy and groovy. Is Adam going to turn into Simon?

Ineos is in a good place.
For the love of God, give it up!!!!
You can not hang on to this thought for the rest of your life.
And people love to make these kind of assessments in this forum everyday. Cycling does not work like that. You know it. If I knew in 2010 and 2007 that grupetto Froome and Grupetto Thomas were going to win the Tour I would be in las Vegas winning millions. Times change, riders change, programs change, teams change, etc.

What Viviani did yesterday was just one level above most performances I‘ve ever seen.

7th in a 207k EC road race in the afternoon, and Gold in the EC track race the same evening.

That is just unbelieveable. One cannot praise him enough for this day, yesterday.

Of course, this also demonstrates a rather poor level of the current European track elite.
I think it just shows how the road race had a meme parcours and how track is a meme disciplin.

What Viviani did yesterday was just one level above most performances I‘ve ever seen.

7th in a 207k EC road race in the afternoon, and Gold in the EC track race the same evening.

That is just unbelieveable. One cannot praise him enough for this day, yesterday.

Of course, this also demonstrates a rather poor level of the current European track elite.
The weak field theory is compatible with general relativity and holds both outdoors and indoors.

I do rate the TP and IP to some degree, but I've also been very surprised how poorly some other top IP riders have done on the road
Yeah, I guess the set-up is different and racing in a full peloton is very different from the IP. The stess and the bike handling skills needed are different and endurance is much more of a factor.
The one who could have been really good was Bobridge, but Arthritis and some of his other problems made his career really short, he could only perform in the heat.

Yeah, I guess the set-up is different and racing in a full peloton is very different from the IP. The stess and the bike handling skills needed are different and endurance is much more of a factor.
The one who could have been really good was Bobridge, but Arthritis and some of his other problems made his career really short, he could only perform in the heat.
Maybe it's like hill climbing vs GC racing, but I've often been surprised how comparatively bad IPers are in prologues.

And people love to make these kind of assessments in this forum everyday. Cycling does not work like that. You know it. If I knew in 2010 and 2007 that grupetto Froome and Grupetto Thomas were going to win the Tour I would be in las Vegas winning millions. Times change, riders change, programs change, teams change, etc.
Yep, you should have read this post on 7/13 (after the Granon stage) when I wrote it and put some $ on Geraint to show (3rd) at the TdF :p.

If I was unclear, I consider Bernal, Thomas, and also Carapaz as "bottom of the podium" riders at a TdF against the new era with Pog and Vingo, even Rog, who hasn't been lucky as of late, but is a heck of a rider. They rule the politics of who goes where to win a GT. I more than agree: things change.

But little did I know when I posted, after the Granon stage, but the very next day, on Bastille Day, Thomas Pidcock triumphed atop AdH, cemented himself as "super rider", one who can win anything, anywhere, road, no road, up or down...he's my favorite Ineos rider by far.

...I bet , no pun intended, that it's more or less Roglic vs. Carapaz for this Vuelta, there's a super nice plot for 3-8, and Pinot will win a stage. And I'll be happy :). All eyes will be on Remco anyway!

I agree. @Tonton; why would you go around making yourself - and me! - depressed like that? No point speculating in what might have been.

Meanwhile, Ineos is sending the same number of GT winners to Denmark, as they're sending to Spain The Netherlands.

TRENDING THREADS