• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1434 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Re: Sky

elduggo said:
Saint Unix said:
pastronef said:
https://www.twitter.com/AlexSimmons_RST/status/756024926599942144

‏@AlexSimmons_RST
@JeroenSwart "Marginal gains are BS". So says the guy who won the TdF by 8 seconds by using a novel aerodynamic aid in the final time trial.
For it to be an actual "gain", they have to be the only team doing it.

LeMond used aerobars and Fignon didn't. Give me one example of a piece of eqiupment that only Sky uses and that has a scientifically proven benefit like aerobars do over regular bars.

And don't say motors ;)

I'll give you 2. Pillows and pineapple juice.
Not to forget... Your own private washing machine.

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Cannibal72 said:
thehog said:
kwikki said:
We are talking about facial expressions.

Apart from the stage winner, nobody's body or facial language looked like they were particularly suffering any more than anyone else. Somebody posted a clip showing Froome's face as he crossed the line. It didn't give any more away than Quintana's face.

Of course, I realise that Quintana was f****d, but that is not the point being made.

Yes, you clearly know what you're taking about....

14oc0lu.jpg

As you'd know if you looked into it some more, Bardet was laughing, joking, and seemed OK during the interviews not ten minutes later. Come on. There's much, much better arguments than that.

The point wasn't that they were all dead or couldn't do an interview after they recovered. They are professional athletes so should recover their heart rates and breathing better than most anyone else on the planet.

The point was that while others tried to ride to limit losses and keep positions on the GC and were obviously hurting with the pace and the road Froome cruised over the line hardly breathing heavy (if at all) and not showing a single sign of any major effort for the day. On the steepest part of road they had gone over all day.
Ergo everyone in the tour suffered apart from our supreme hero who rides with a purity so amazing he is able to float up mountains without effort

Rob27172 said:
Cannibal72 said:
thehog said:
kwikki said:
We are talking about facial expressions.

Apart from the stage winner, nobody's body or facial language looked like they were particularly suffering any more than anyone else. Somebody posted a clip showing Froome's face as he crossed the line. It didn't give any more away than Quintana's face.

Of course, I realise that Quintana was f****d, but that is not the point being made.

Yes, you clearly know what you're taking about....

14oc0lu.jpg

As you'd know if you looked into it some more, Bardet was laughing, joking, and seemed OK during the interviews not ten minutes later. Come on. There's much, much better arguments than that.

The point wasn't that they were all dead or couldn't do an interview after they recovered. They are professional athletes so should recover their heart rates and breathing better than most anyone else on the planet.

The point was that while others tried to ride to limit losses and keep positions on the GC and were obviously hurting with the pace and the road Froome cruised over the line hardly breathing heavy (if at all) and not showing a single sign of any major effort for the day. On the steepest part of road they had gone over all day.
Ergo everyone in the tour suffered apart from our supreme hero who rides with a purity so amazing he is able to float up mountains without effort
The virtuosity of the entire Brrrrritish Empire backing you will have that kind of effect on a man you know;)

Lyon said:
elduggo said:
Saint Unix said:
pastronef said:

‏@AlexSimmons_RST
@JeroenSwart "Marginal gains are BS". So says the guy who won the TdF by 8 seconds by using a novel aerodynamic aid in the final time trial.
For it to be an actual "gain", they have to be the only team doing it.

LeMond used aerobars and Fignon didn't. Give me one example of a piece of eqiupment that only Sky uses and that has a scientifically proven benefit like aerobars do over regular bars.

And don't say motors ;)

I'll give you 2. Pillows and pineapple juice.
Not to forget... Your own private washing machine.
I thought that it was stems measured to the mm?

Re:

kwikki said:
He didn't look to be sailing up there without breathing hard to me. But what would I know.
If you can't work out that the stage winner was allowed to ride faster then I suggest that you reacquaint yourself with the sport all over again.

Surely you've had enough time since July 2012 to learn the concept of a breakaway win.

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site

42x16ss said:
kwikki said:
He didn't look to be sailing up there without breathing hard to me. But what would I know.
If you can't work out that the stage winner was allowed to ride faster then I suggest that you reacquaint yourself with the sport all over again.

Surely you've had enough time since July 2012 to learn the concept of a breakaway win.

Of course, I understand the concept of a breakaway win. I also understand that the laws of physics trump the laws of bicycle racing. The fact that the breakaway was allowed doesn't make the faster completion of the parcours by the breakaway rider any easier. In other words, while the attackers attack, the rest are resting.

With regards to your final comment, I was racing domestically in the early 80s. Were you even born then?

kwikki said:
42x16ss said:
kwikki said:

Of course, I understand the concept of a breakaway win. I also understand that the laws of physics trump the laws of bicycle racing. The fact that the breakaway was allowed doesn't make the faster completion of the parcours by the breakaway rider any easier. In other words, while the attackers attack, the rest are resting.

Lol dude that is the most flawed logic I have ever seen, it's not a zero sum game, going 10km/h slower for 1 hour doesn't mean you can go 10km/h faster later just because you went slower. If Usain bolt walked the first 50 meters of a 100m race he would lose against a lot of people, it wouldn't make their faster completion amazing.

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site

pastronef said:

‏@AlexSimmons_RST

Seriously. FFS.

Aero bars weren't a marginal gain, they were probably one of the two most revolutionary products in time trialling ever, alongside disc wheels.

We now have people comparing aero bars to pineapple juice, own pillows and mattresses, campervans and trainer cool downs?

The tail wind is strong behind Sky this year.

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site

Night Rider said:
pastronef said:

‏@AlexSimmons_RST

Seriously. FFS.

Aero bars weren't a marginal gain, they were probably one of the two most revolutionary products in time trialling ever, alongside disc wheels.

We now have people comparing aero bars to pineapple juice, own pillows and mattresses, campervans and trainer cool downs?

The tail wind is strong behind Sky this year.
Ah! But this year it is a scientific tailwind...

I remember all those shows on OLN and later Versus, and the in between documentaries, following the USPS/Discovery teams lead by Wonder Boy, and they raved of how detail-oriented their team was from doing training on TDF routes during the winter/spring to testing in wind tunnels to trying out new handlebars/tri-bars to nutrition....While it is not a mystery anymore and certainly other teams weren't using frames and handlebars from the 50's or 60's, but the USPS, like Sky these past few years, have really gone after gaining (there's that awful word again!) as much as they could with technology. Again, it's not like Movistar, BMC, Katusha, Tinkoff, Trek, etc don't do their fair share of research, they do. They are all top of the ladder professional cycling teams with great riders and have access to technology that would cost us regular joes more than a few bob, but I feel that as arrogant as USPS was about their 'preparation' and the advantages they had over the others in various things, Sky do as well in 2016. I wonder what Bruyneel, Armstrong, Ekimov, Hincapie, Heras, Rubiera, etc have to say about Sky nowadays.

lemoogle said:
kwikki said:
42x16ss said:
kwikki said:

Lol dude that is the most flawed logic I have ever seen, it's not a zero sum game, going 10km/h slower for 1 hour doesn't mean you can go 10km/h faster later just because you went slower. If Usain bolt walked the first 50 meters of a 100m race he would lose against a lot of people, it wouldn't make their faster completion amazing.

I thought the same, also noting that the guy who wins the breakaway has rested down in the previous stage by an hour.

Laws of physics, lol!

I think we might have been wrong when it comes to to sky "outdpoing" their competitors.
Watching todays stage i do feel like they resorted to a way better strategy as in mixing sleeping pills in the bottles of other teams.
Just unreal how a bunch of GC guys within 20 seconds of each other won't launch a single attack on the last mountain stage.
#worstTourever