• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1436 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
I think that's probably bollocks, personally. Froome gave what Froome had. If he could have gone for a bigger margin he would have done so.

Re:

kwikki said:
I think that's probably bollocks, personally. Froome gave what Froome had. If he could have gone for a bigger margin he would have done so.

You're probably right, and I'm probably too cynical.
But remember when he toyed with everyone one or three stages back by pretending he was going to attack?
He got out of the saddle and looked ready to launch, only to look around and have a good laugh before settling back in the Sky train.

Re:

kwikki said:
That's a bit of a simplistic way of looking at it. If you are leading by several minutes, why risk going deep to try to increase that by another minute or more, when it could make you vulnerable to blowing up Mollema/Aru style the following day? Especially so when there is so much scrutiny from the host nation on your mutant performances in previous years.

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
kwikki said:
That's a bit of a simplistic way of looking at it. If you are leading by several minutes, why risk going deep to try to increase that by another minute or more, when it could make you vulnerable to blowing up Mollema/Aru style the following day? Especially so when there is so much scrutiny from the host nation on your mutant performances in previous years.

What France thinks doesn't really matter that much to Sky (or Armstrong before them).

I don't think there is much negative press at all in the UK, certainly no serious attempt at sceptical scrutiny. And that is what matters to those that pay the bills.

kwikki said:
DFA123 said:
kwikki said:

What France thinks doesn't really matter that much to Sky (or Armstrong before them).

I don't think there is much negative press at all in the UK, certainly no serious attempt at sceptical scrutiny. And that is what matters to those that pay the bills.

What also matters is if the powers that be have passed the message down for Froome to dial it back a bit. The circus was getting out of hand in the past few years - that does no-one any favours.

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
It's possible. Anything is possible.

But is it likely? I'd say not. Far more likely that Froome's advantage is a super strong team and a bit of an edge over the main contenders.

kwikki said:
DFA123 said:
kwikki said:

Is there a serious attempt to call Froome "Sir" or bestow upon him some kind of knighthood? (Apologies if I've got the honours wrong. I'm assuming Sir Bradley Wiggins means something in the UK.)

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Not that I know of, but I don't really follow news on Froome. I have a vague feeling he got an OBE or something. Wiggins got the Knight thing because of the Olympic/Tour combo. And because he's a popular figure here.

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Maybe not with you, but with many/most.

Half a million people voted for him for the BBC Sports Personality of the Year. There were 12 candidates. Wiggins got 30% of the entire vote.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

kwikki said:
Maybe not with you, but with many/most.

Half a million people voted for him for the BBC Sports Personality of the Year. There were 12 candidates. Wiggins got 30% of the entire vote.

Sorry for the confusion: I wasn't replying to you, but to delgados' post directly above you (that there's not much sign of a movement for Sir Chris Froome). You're quite right.

kwikki said:

But is it likely? I'd say not. Far more likely that Froome's advantage is a super strong team and a bit of an edge over the main contenders.
Come on Marty. Froome rode away from most of the world's best rouleurs like it was nothing when he bridged across to Sagan and Bodnar, barely a week in. That was such a vulgar display of power that even Cancellara and the world's best sprint trains couldn't bridge. It was an effort that should have shown for a few days.

For what? 12 seconds.

Mountains the next the day? No problem. Froome was so strong he could (and just about did) do whatever he wanted, the strong team was an insurance policy. Henao, Thomas and Nieve were all placed well enough to salvage a top 10 or better if necessary for almost the entire race.

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Re:

42x16ss said:
kwikki said:

Come on Marty. Froome rode away from most of the world's best rouleurs like it was nothing when he bridged across to Sagan and Bodnar, barely a week in. That was such a vulgar display of power that even Cancellara and the world's best sprint trains couldn't bridge. It was an effort that should have shown for a few days.

For what? 12 seconds.

I think you need to look at my quote in context. Ie. The post I was replying to.

You are actually making my point for me ;)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

42x16ss said:
kwikki said:

For what? 12 seconds.

Mountains the next the day? No problem. Froome was so strong he could (and just about did) do whatever he wanted, the strong team was an insurance policy. Henao, Thomas and Nieve were all placed well enough to salvage a top 10 or better if necessary for almost the entire race.

He and 3 other guys rode away from the best in the world and stayed away. GT a 5 time gold medallist pursuiter was dropped before the finish!

Froome was insanely strong for 3 whole weeks.

Re:

tretiak said:
Why have Landa is not adapted for Sky training methods?
Did he take the wrong pill (red or blue)?

he is either happy with a fat paycheck or simply doesnt respond to the program (like Konig or Kwiatkowski),seems like it doesnt work for everybody

also we dont know how good would he be in giro,maybe he just isnt peaking in Tdf

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Kimmage nailed it in 2 tweets.

Paul Kimmage ‏@PaulKimmage 1 hour ago

1/2 David Walsh writes another glowing tribute to Dave Brailsford today in the S.T but ignores Brailsford's most notable achievement:

2/2 Taking a sport with zero credibility in 2012 (sic2010) and changing nothing six years later.

:cool:

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Dimension Data rider Mark Renshaw on itv4 TdF commentary just now saying people on the outsude know that Sky have the biggest budget, but what they don't know is that in the peloton Sky are leading the way in so many things, and the bunch are following what they do. He said "I won't lie, I follow everything Team Sky do".

Re:

kwikki said:
Dimension Data rider Mark Renshaw on itv4 TdF commentary just now saying people on the outsude know that Sky have the biggest budget, but what they don't know is that in the peloton Sky are leading the way in so many things, and the bunch are following what they do. He said "I won't lie, I follow everything Team Sky do".

He actually, said "if I can take one thing that Sky do and it helps, then why not".

It was a good conversation, they talked about Sky's professionalism, innovation and advanced methods without actually naming any of those methods!

Too funny :cool: