• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 889 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
maybe you mean this
Looking at that, Contador climbed today faster than he did 2010.

That really not saying much, since in 2010 Schleck and Contador used more time looking at each other, than riding up the mountain.

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Their performance today sure looked unbelievable. No one even challenged thier attack. Contador just sat there and watched. Others cracked completely. Valverde looked to have some fight in him, but not enough strength to matter.

They'll have their samples analyzed and either be deemed clean or doped.

Other than having some faith in the testing, *****ing incessently, or ignoring the sport altogether - what choices do we have as fans of cycling?

May 26, 2009
Visit site
At first I thought I was watching a PCM stage being played on easy. Then I realized I wasn't and a guy who got kicked out the Giro 3 years ago for holding on to cars and a guy who in 2010 and 2011 lost upto 40 minutes at a time on mountain stages were destroying known dopers with ease. I can't wait for Dave Brailsford's take on today's stage.

My theory? Pailhères was the key. Talansky said there had been few faster climbs before this year. Kiryenka and Kennaugh killed everybody, but Froome and Porte were still fresh as a daisy. Porte's post-domestique display was almost as ridiculous as Froome himself.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
TheBean said:
Their performance today sure looked unbelievable. No one even challenged thier attack. Contador just sat there and watched. Others cracked completely. Valverde looked to have some fight in him, but not enough strength to matter.

They'll have their samples analyzed and either be deemed clean or doped.

Other than having some faith in the testing, *****ing incessently, or ignoring the sport altogether - what choices do we have as fans of cycling?

I have ZERO faith in testing. Unless the doping authorities have been provided with info on what to look for specifically e.g Balco syringe, there is no chance of finding anything, these folks are two steps ahead. The only thing that will break Sky is a Reasoned Decision. Question is do the Brits have the guts to do it? To question the status quo?

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
jilbiker said:
I have ZERO faith in testing. Unless the doping authorities have been provided with info on what to look for specifically e.g Balco syringe, there is no chance of finding anything, these folks are two steps ahead. The only thing that will break Sky is a Reasoned Decision. Question is do the Brits have the guts to do it? To question the status quo?

I have little faith in testing, but a bit more than zero. Cases like Di Luca this year do give some reason to think that testing can work every now and then. But it seems only a few are dumb enough to get caught that way.

CN reported that the Shack bus was stopped and searched for a couple of hours by French police today. It'll be interesting to see what comes of that.

I just hope there isn't a check from Sky that can be traced to McQuaid, a-la Lance. That was just plain disgusting. Doping is bad enough, but bribing about doping was even worse.

I agree with you that the riders and doping docs are two steps ahead, if not three.

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
My theory? Pailhères was the key. Talansky said there had been few faster climbs before this year. Kiryenka and Kennaugh killed everybody, but Froome and Porte were still fresh as a daisy. Porte's post-domestique display was almost as ridiculous as Froome himself.
It's also interesting that these monster efforts were made after a very tough couple of stages, with the constant threat of crosswinds for 180 km on stage 6 and Liquigas tearing it up for 130 km yesterday. Sky certainly didn't look affected, unlike pretty much everyone else in the peloton.

TheBean said:
I have little faith in testing, but a bit more than zero. Cases like Di Luca this year do give some reason to think that testing can work every now and then. But it seems only a few are dumb enough to get caught that way.

CN reported that the Shack bus was stopped and searched for a couple of hours by French police today. It'll be interesting to see what comes of that.

I just hope there isn't a check from Sky that can be traced to McQuaid, a-la Lance. That was just plain disgusting. Doping is bad enough, but bribing about doping was even worse.

I agree with you that the riders and doping docs are two steps ahead, if not three.

Skyborgs won't be so stupid to have something in the bus

the sceptic said:
Where are all those wannabe scientists that said sky was clean cause they were only doing 6.0w/kg?

Don't worry. Krapcycle will be along shortly to explain what people saw was not actually what they saw and it might be perfectly legit that Froome can climb faster than riders who were injecting EPO every other day.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Puckfiend said:
Well, today's stage of the Tour de Farce sure opened up my July social calendar!

I love sports, but I quit watching pro 'rassling before I hit my teens.

+1.

The Armstrong era is barely over and we have to watch this kind of garbage again. Or not. I shut off my computer when Froome sailed off the front and only came back now to see just how utterly ridiculous the margin of victory was. Who needs to watch a bunch of guys Sky high on drugs dominate another GT? Not me.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Well assuming all the testing is going on as advertised and the UCI has gone legit (just an assumption now), what can they be on that can't be detected?

So they did their Canary Island training but that won't hold for ever. What else? Micro Transfusions? Top Secret untraceable EPO in mini-micro doses? Or those new fangled PEDs but a new undetectable batch?

Wallace said:
+1.

The Armstrong era is barely over and we have to watch this kind of garbage again. Or not. I shut off my computer when Froome sailed off the front and only came back now to see just how utterly ridiculous the margin of victory was. Who needs to watch a bunch of guys Sky high on drugs dominate another GT? Not me.

I have not watched a minute of the Tour. I knew the fix was in. The sport became a farce last year. It's not necessarily the doping. It is the wide variation in doping. I think a large percentage of the peloton is now clean. There are riders who have reduced their doping or limited themselves to use during training. Then there are those who are doing full-on like it is 1999. The result is the worst of all possibilities.

Wallace said:
+1.

Agreed. So if the UCI are picking winners that makes no sense as nearly everyone is turning off their number 1 product.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site