• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1279 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Perhaps this was mentioned already, but reading the team Sky statement in the CN news, Sky's comments seem to fit the journalistic concept of a "non-denial denial." Sky's statement includes Phrases like "Knaven has no case to answer for" and "a panel of experts . . . Presented to us there is no case for doping" and "it is important to remember that there were no charges brought against him."

These comments are very different than "we know he never doped" and leave the team administrators lots of wiggle room should the current allegations turn out to be true. Sky also places the weight of responsibility for clearing Knaven on the "panel of experts" rather than their own assessment.

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Sciatic said:
These comments are very different than "we know he never doped" and leave the team administrators lots of wiggle room should the current allegations turn out to be true. Sky also places the weight of responsibility for clearing Knaven on the "panel of experts" rather than their own assessment.

Seems a reasonable position to adopt.

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
MartinGT said:
Brailsford could easily be a politician the amount of sh!t that comes out of his mouth. He talks like one in the way he words things for sure.

There's very much a lot of William Hague about him for sure. Maybe things are slowly turning and people and journo's might start to ask more and more. I mean there comes a point where people get fed up of being force fed bull feed.

Edit: the Froome documentary made me want to rip my tv off the wall. There's certainly a we can't be touched attitude. Just a greater height to fall upon your smug faces when things go t!ts up.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
BSkyB were told that Barry, Knaeven, Yates, Rogers, Flecha, Julich, De Jongh etc were all potential time bombs but were satisfied to listen to Dave B and believe what they were told by him about them.

Conveniently ignoring the fact that Dave B had previously called Rogers out for being dodgy.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
bobbins said:
BSkyB were told that Barry, Knaeven, Yates, Rogers, Flecha, Julich, De Jongh etc were all potential time bombs but were satisfied to listen to Dave B and believe what they were told by him about them.

Conveniently ignoring the fact that Dave B had previously called Rogers out for being dodgy.
any idea by whom? were there people/fractions within British Cycling who tried to go against Brailsford at any point?

sniper said:
any idea by whom? were there people/fractions within British Cycling who tried to go against Brailsford at any point?

By people who have been involved in cycling for a long time and know the kind of stuff that goes on. BSkyB preferred to listen to Dave B and Fran Millar rather than face reality.

No one at BC went against Dave B as far as I am aware.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
From http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/circ-suggests-that-doping-has-gone-underground-with-micro-dosing-and-tue-abuse

One doctor stated that it was impossible to lose the weight that some riders achieve without assistance, and that the TUE is taken advantage of to enable this practice. He stated that riders use corticoids to "lean out" i.e. to lose weight quickly, and keep it off, without losing power. By way of example he explained that to lose 4kg in 4 weeks by using corticoids would provide a 7% power/weight improvement.

He added that when used in large quantities and in conjunction with other substances, they supported performance gains. Another doctor stated that some quite recent big wins on the UCI WorldTour were as a result, in part, of some members of the team all using corticoids to get their weight down to support the individual who won (who also used the same weight-loss technique). It was reported that this had been a planned approach by that group's management.

TUE Abuse

I found this interesting (from CN's review of the CIRC report):

Corticoids and the abuse of the TUE system

It seems that corticoids are still being used and abused, often masked by requests for Therapeutic Use Exemptions (TUE) to UCI Medical staff, with one rider telling the CIRC commission that he believed 90% of TUEs were used for performance-enhancing purposes. TUE abuse is also an issue in women's cycling, with the report saying that some riders turn up at race with "extensive folders of TUE- related documentation."

One doctor stated that it was impossible to lose the weight that some riders achieve without assistance, and that the TUE is taken advantage of to enable this practice. He stated that riders use corticoids to "lean out" i.e. to lose weight quickly, and keep it off, without losing power. By way of example he explained that to lose 4kg in 4 weeks by using corticoids would provide a 7% power/weight improvement.

He added that when used in large quantities and in conjunction with other substances, they supported performance gains. Another doctor stated that some quite recent big wins on the UCI World Tour were as a result, in part, of some members of the team all using corticoids to get their weight down to support the individual who won (who also used the same weight-loss technique). It was reported that this had been a planned approach by that group's management.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Pedaaldanser said:
From http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/circ-suggests-that-doping-has-gone-underground-with-micro-dosing-and-tue-abuse

He added that when used in large quantities and in conjunction with other substances, they supported performance gains. Another doctor stated that some quite recent big wins on the UCI WorldTour were as a result, in part, of some members of the team all using corticoids to get their weight down to support the individual who won (who also used the same weight-loss technique). It was reported that this had been a planned approach by that group's management.
hope Benson puts his teeth into this one.

Pedaaldanser said:

I was just about to post the same thing.

That's the most damning thing I've read on Sky (although I think Digger/Dim have referred to this method of losing weight/retaining power earlier in this thread?)

Technically speaking they aren't breaking any rules but it obviously goes completely against the spirit of them. The funny thing is that Sky have claimed they hardly ever use TUE's. A journalist or two should really look into that.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
JRanton said:

That's the most damning thing I've read on Sky (although I think Digger/Dim have referred to this method of losing weight/retaining power earlier in this thread?)

Technically speaking they aren't breaking any rules but it obviously goes completely against the spirit of them. The funny thing is that Sky have claimed they hardly ever use TUE's. A journalist or two should really look into that.
do you need TUEs for OOC use of corticoids?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Paul Kimmage asked Brailsford precisely how Peter Kennaugh had managed - by his own admission - to lose five kilograms since he lined up at the Tour de Romandie in late April.

"Through calorie deficit," Brailsford said bluntly, before then expanding slightly on his answer. "Why not speak to Nigel our nutritionist? It's a good question to ask. That is a lot of weight to lose and I totally agree with you. What do we do to get to that kind of weight loss? They're the types of questions that would be legitimate to answer. I don't think there's any great secret in that."
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/lessons-have-been-learned-says-brailsford

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Bernie's eyesore said:
You had a good point until you invented 'Jimmy's tribe' and made yourself guilty of the very thing you were complaining about. Any chance you could list the members of thie tribe?
its facetious and satirical.

empire crew and clinic 12, its never been serious. ask jv, its just about the laffs.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
MartinGT said:
I still cant see Sky being outed. The Murdoch's are too powerful ?$ talks.

Calorie deficit haha, whatever Dave. Surly if you go into calorie deficit for a long enough your body starts burning muscle as fuel?
if you go into caloric deficit on every ride, cant peak your form and rise your FTP. instead, multiple hunger flat.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
JRanton said:

remember, corticosteroids, cortisone, anti-inflammatoris, corticoids, this class, they WERE ALWAYS AROUND!!!

ceteris paribus, all things being equal. This existed BEFORE, supposedly the anecdote, I reckon apocryphal, Ceccho, Claudio Cechhini gave Riis about 10 kg to lug up a long ascent.

And then Riss drops ~15lbs. Riis, not Riss. he drops the ~15lbs, and even tts better and rides gc.

!!!

So what has come into cycling, and other sports, beyond cortisone? see: Anna Ivanovic. with Wigans and Froome, Ivanovic is one of the calling cards.

maybe Djokovic too.

What has entered sports?

GW501516
Aicar
Lipotropin(AOD-9604)

ofcourse, like all drugs, different people will have different responses. I actually dont buy the Armstrong was a good responder theory. I think p'raps like Riis, he just had the best doctor, and the most comprehensive suite of pharmaceuticals, indeed, a peripatetic cyling pharmacy.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
JRanton said:

remember, corticosteroids, cortisone, anti-inflammatoris, corticoids, this class, they WERE ALWAYS AROUND!!!

ceteris paribus, all things being equal. This existed BEFORE, supposedly the anecdote, I reckon apocryphal, Ceccho, Claudio Cechhini gave Riis about 10 kg to lug up a long ascent.

And then Riss drops ~15lbs. Riis, not Riss. he drops the ~15lbs, and even tts better and rides gc.

!!!

So what has come into cycling, and other sports, beyond cortisone? see: Anna Ivanovic. with Wigans and Froome, Ivanovic is one of the calling cards.

maybe Djokovic too.

What has entered sports?

GW501516
Aicar
Lipotropin(AOD-9604)

ofcourse, like all drugs, different people will have different responses. I actually dont buy the Armstrong was a good responder theory. I think p'raps like Riis, he just had the best doctor, and the most comprehensive suite of pharmaceuticals, indeed, a peripatetic cyling pharmacy.

NB. caveat: Riis could do it buy simple means, caloric. But he never got Wigans/Froome/ lean, and in cycling equivalent, Djokovic/Ivanovic lean.

imagine if they could give Ullrich these peptides and pharmaceutical advantages to return to his 97 weight/lean(ness)