• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1290 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
read the Dr Ferrari comments about bike weight and wheels

Despite " no-doping era" cyclists go faster than previous riders , but I remember Rominger's bike was 2-3 kgs heavier and wheels less performant than today.

http://www.53x12.com/do/show?page=forum.thread&id=7122
So, given te mathematic 'rule' a kilo less means 20 seconds faster on a forty minute climb that would means our friend Ritchie was 40 seconds faster than one of the biggest Ferrari experiments of all time.

Sounds great.

don't believe what richie and froomey says. they are clever foxes and love to troll big time
when they come 0.3 w/kg near to that madone performance in an uphill time trial or MTF easy stage we talk.
but yeah i do luv the way they troll

D-Queued said:
(NB: Am trying to argue the point(s) in the post, and not the poster. If it appears otherwise, that is not the intent)

On #2, I am not going to do even a quick Google search. But, while someone(s) may be trying this, longer-term use of Cortisone is correlated with serious tissue/muscle loss, bone demineralisation, reduced protein synthesis, etc. issues. At least it did last time I looked.

So, it is possible that someone or some team could be using cortisone OOC, but only possible with serious risks.

And (without doing a quick Google, or forum, search), as I recall AICAR supposedly offers weight loss without that serious risk that cortisone produces.

The obvious question (i.e. Occam's Razor): Are we sure they (whoever they are) aren't using AICAR while stating that they use cortisone?

That would make more sense, and would be consistent with past behavior (altitude tents, etc.) to hide what is really going on.

On interval training (and this is what the NB above was for):

If people "probably would have thought" that interval training wouldn't benefit a highly trained athlete, and increase power (i.e. over shorter duration), then they are idiots.

That is what interval training is all about, and always has been. <insert facepalm>

It doesn't mean, however, that an athlete employing interval training can somehow avoid or offset the deteriorating impacts of longer-term cortisone use such as would be required for any meaningful weight-loss program.

Dave.

So, last reply before i have to head off.

Firstly, great post - engaging the argument, or as some would put it : playing the ball, rather than resorting other things.

You're definitely right on the cortisone side effects - well known. I guess it may partly explain why Sky riders seem to fall to pieces after a couple of years. I'll take what you say about AICAR as right - I haven't had time to look, not sure if its been around long enough for people to assess / understand the longer term risks.

As for whether they could be using AICAR but saying Cortisone. Of course that is entirely possible, but, in my view, carries some risks :

1. A new test appears that is implemented with little fanfare.
2. A leak from within the team / ex-team. What if one of the ZTP casualties went postal (pardon the expression) and started blurting it all out?
3. Someone gets careless with a syringe / packaging.
4. Retrospective testing is implemented whilst DB, or whoever, is still there covering the banned period.

All of those carry a risk of being popped and the house of cards falling down. OOC cortisone doesn't - with a decent doctor and some internal testing it would be easy to be 'ill' or have a complaint that required a TUE just in case. Combine that with other things (both grey and not so grey) and you could have a 'legal' program.

Interesting to note that one of the longer term side effects is high blood pressure. And what do we treat high blood pressure with? Telmisartan ...

As for the interval stuff - I think the point you're making is that it wouldn't be enough to compensate for the cortisone deterioration. But that deterioration is longer term is it not? Not in the 12 month build up to a GT. Again maybe helps explain the breakdown of riders after a few years.

The Hitch said:
TailWindHome said:
The Hitch said:
Wiggo weight loss us taken from his 06 and 07 tours when he dedicated his entire years to doing well at the tour and didn't ride a single track event for 2 years. So no he wasn't an overweight track rider. Point dismissed.

He was world champion in 2007?
I know he was. He also did give up track for 2 years around the 2006 Tour de France, something doping apologists hate to see brought up because it destroys the original weak wiggo defense of - he became good in 2009 because he finally stopped being a track rider, not that that would be a half decent explanation anyway.

No he didn't he competed in several World Cup races.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

Bronstein said:
TheSpud said:
You're definitely right on the cortisone side effects - well known. I guess it may partly explain why Sky riders seem to fall to pieces after a couple of years.

Which Sky riders have fallen to pieces after a couple of years?
that's one thing.
more generally, the cortisone account does nothing to explain Sky's performances.
cortisone abuse has been rampant at least from the late 90s onwards.(*)
the cortisone also does nothing to explain peripheral phenomena such as Froome's dodgy Bilharzia account, or Sky's reluctance to provide Froome's pre-2011 BP data. That clearly points towards (usual disclaimer: doesn't prove) illegal manipulation of blood.
And a whole bunch of other stuff that just doesn't fit the cortisone account.

(*I remember reading that in 1999 (or 2000, not sure), anonymous testresults of the Giro showed 80 riders were on cortisone, a large amount with TUEs, and some without. I'll try to find a link to that, I might be wrong)

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Sky

link accompanying my previous post: http://www.sportpro.it/old_site/doping/ ... aleOLD.htm

Un appuntamento quasi clandestino: martedì 27 giugno, Hotel Astoria, Gallarate, un passo dalla Malpensa. I medici di molte squadre professioniste entrano furtivi uno ad uno, ad orari diversi. È una processione: dalle nove del mattino fino al primo pomeriggio. Tranne quelli della Mapei, ci sono tutti o quasi i sanitari delle squadre maggiori. Oggetto: ufficialmente controllo e chiarimenti richiesti dal dottor Zorzoli, rappresentante della commissione medica dell’Uci, riguardo il libretto medico dei corridori testati all’ultimo Giro d’Italia. Cosa è successo? Semplice: al Giro, nel rispetto di una nuova normativa, ai corridori sono stati fatti test anche per individuare i corticosteroidi, che, come noto, sono sostanze soggette per regolamento a restrizione d’uso. Sostanze l’uso terapeutico delle quali richiede – secondo le norme - una denuncia preventiva. Si sia controllati o no nei test antidoping, si ha l’obbligo di denunciare e scrivere sul libretto sanitario dell’atleta l’uso e la tipologia delle sostanze adoperate. Il bilancio dell’operazione-Giro è stato per certi versi choccante: nei test di almeno un’ottantina di corridori si sono trovate tracce importanti dell’uso di questi corticosteroidi e, a quanto riferiscono alcune voci, per almeno una ventina di essi la necessaria denuncia preventiva non c’era. Fatto che la dice lunga sulla presunta "inversione di tendenza" di certo ciclismo.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
provided you read what i post from time to time, you'll know that i mostly take quotes through g-translate myself before posting, especially when they're central to my argument.
i made an exception here, for three reasons: (a) the quote wasn't central to my argument, (b) i'm about to go eat, (c) there's a website that 99% of the posters know how to use: https://translate.google.com/#auto/en/
;)

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Re:

sniper said:
provided you read what i post from time to time, you'll know that i mostly take quotes through g-translate myself before posting, especially when they're central to my argument.
i made an exception here, for three reasons: (a) the quote wasn't central to my argument, (b) i'm about to go eat, (c) there's a website that 99% of the posters know how to use: https://translate.google.com/#auto/en/
;)

Sure, but posting readable content is more important than eating, surely :p

Re:

Dear Wiggo said:
I am still confused why you post foreign content, going to the extent of highlighting it, when <1% of posters here can understand any of it.

In the good old days of Public Strategies interns <1% of the native English speaking posters could understand what was being posted.

We've come a long way baby.

Dave.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

Dear Wiggo said:
ow i agree, but my wife doesn't :D

Anyway, my Italian sucks hard, and the g-translate isn't helpful here.
What I gather from my lousy italian combined with a bad g-translate is:
in the Giro of 2000 UCI did (anonymous?) tests on all (?) riders, I think urine tests, and I think specific cortisone testing. In any case, the part in boldface details that in the samples of 80 riders cortisone was found, and 20 of those riders did not have a TUE for it.
Perhaps somebody with Italian in his skillset can fill in any details i got wrong or left out.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Nico Roche admits using Tramadol 'once', but then goes to say it is not on the list.

So it appears it is ok for Roche to use stuff as long as it is not on the list. Heck anti doping is apparently 10 years behind so that leaves a huge plethora of substances that have not made the list, yet!

May 26, 2009
Visit site
If they win or not due to tactics.. Sky and Quickstep are urinating over the competition in Milan san Remo.

Hilarious really. Their collectives are just hammering everyone.

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Benotti69 said:
Nico Roche admits using Tramadol 'once', but then goes to say it is not on the list.

So it appears it is ok for Roche to use stuff as long as it is not on the list. Heck anti doping is apparently 10 years behind so that leaves a huge plethora of substances that have not made the list, yet!

How else are you going to define cheating?

sniper said:
Dear Wiggo said:
ow i agree, but my wife doesn't :D

Anyway, my Italian sucks hard, and the g-translate isn't helpful here.
What I gather from my lousy italian combined with a bad g-translate is:
in the Giro of 2000 UCI did (anonymous?) tests on all (?) riders, I think urine tests, and I think specific cortisone testing. In any case, the part in boldface details that in the samples of 80 riders cortisone was found, and 20 of those riders did not have a TUE for it.
Perhaps somebody with Italian in his skillset can fill in any details i got wrong or left out.

Yeah, I'm going to summarize again. RCS is all about burying positives. Another example, Zomnegan promised CERA tests and that never happened. Since Zomnegan himself promised the tests, I take that to mean RCS is the anti-doping authority for the Giro.

Since this is cycling, we can assume the worst. :cool:

Re:

TheSpud said:
I can't get that on my phone where I am. Is that the prohibited list?

It is. Really anyone discussing doping in the clinic should have it downloaded and be able to check it (when on a suitable device!) or ask questions specifically pertaining to its wording where it might not seem clear.

To answer your initial question, No. Tramadol is not on the banned list, I believe it is still being monitored though.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

TourOfSardinia said:
doperhopper said:
and Astana so scared now to dope full genius that Nibs was dropped by none else than Greipy Gorilla
but nibs never has a year round peak. Last year he was rubbish until the National Road Race, for instance. He'll be good in time for the Tour

He always had a year round peak.., until last year, for instance...

TRENDING THREADS