• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1350 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

wendybnt said:
BYOP88 said:
TheGame said:
ChewbaccaDefense said:
Since almost none of the Brits seem to want to do it (like their US peers during the Armstrong era), others must...

The Brits and Irish did all the work on Armstrong. Muricans job to take down Sky ;)

Dim, what role did the Brits have in taking down Armstrong?

The Sunday Times.

The Sunday Times played little role in it. They refused to go to court against Armstrong. They give Walsh some space for articles, but Walsh had to write books to get at Armstrong. ST were not interested in a rolling investigation into Armstrong. Walsh did that mostly in his own time.

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site

ChewbaccaDefense said:
King Boonen said:
ChewbaccaDefense said:
bigcog said:

Another view on his motivations:

I’m an exercise physiologist, lecturer and researcher from Aberystwyth, West Wales, UK.

Keep digging...
Since almost none of the Brits seem to want to do it (like their US peers during the Armstrong era), others must...

Not many Brits will have the stomach for taking on the Mighty Murdoch

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Sky really making a mess of their PR.

Brailsford claims not to know riders weights, doesn't test for Vo2maxs, but then implies that there really is nobody in the world qualified to interpret that data, apart from Sky's experts, .....then Brailsford quoting academic findings like an expert and he has studied the data, but doesn't know Froome's weight, when it is so obviously important, just look at Froome.

https://twitter.com/LoisHorwitz/status/62317297377241907

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Benotti69 said:

Brailsford claims not to know riders weights, doesn't test for Vo2maxs, but then implies that there really is nobody in the world qualified to interpret that data, apart from Sky's experts, .....then Brailsford quoting academic findings like an expert and he has studied the data, but doesn't know Froome's weight, when it is so obviously important, just look at Froome.

Maybe the strategy is:

"the more confusion, the better"

May 26, 2010
Visit site

mrhender said:
Benotti69 said:

Maybe the strategy is:

"the more confusion, the better"

Yep anything but transparency.

May 19, 2015
Visit site

Nellyspania said:
ChewbaccaDefense said:
King Boonen said:
ChewbaccaDefense said:
bigcog said:

Another view on his motivations:

I’m an exercise physiologist, lecturer and researcher from Aberystwyth, West Wales, UK.

Keep digging...

Not many Brits will have the stomach for taking on the Mighty Murdoch

This. Brailsford getting the most terrifyring media mongul in the world behind him is perhaps the smartest thing that have ever happened in cycling. Unlimited money and lawyers. We are up against the unbeatable.

If Oleg had been the sponsor of Sky, they would have been destroyed by now.

Re:

Melo said:
Imagine if Sagan was British and he was a Sky rider. He would've won like ten consecutive TdF.
Nope. Sagan is an amazing talent and you need to be a bit mediocre if you want to hop on the Sky Train and ride it to the top.

Also, we definitely need a "Lies from the Peloton" type thread where the sole aim is to list up inconsistencies from riders, directors and other staff. Not having to sift through page upon page of bickering in the big threads to find what you're looking for would be a huge timesaver. Given the mood of The Clinic at the moment it would become a Sky thread pretty quickly, but surely there's a bit of dirt to dig up from the other main culprits like Astana, Movi, Saxo, Etixx and Katusha.

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site

LeindersGains said:
[

This. Brailsford getting the most terrifyring media mongul in the world behind him is perhaps the smartest thing that have ever happened in cycling. Unlimited money and lawyers. We are up against the unbeatable.

Sky's Pravda, the Guardian and noted bully Hugh Grant, pursued Murdoch relentlessly over phone hacking. He was forced to shutter his fav newspaper, an editor was jailed, and he was humiliated in Parliament. I suggest you recalibrate the power of Murdoch to cover-up a jucier story than hacking.
http://www.theguardian.com/media/2011/jul/19/rupert-murdoch-phone-hacking-pie
Flanked by his son James, the chairman of News International, Murdoch said he and his company had been betrayed in a disgraceful way, but argued he was still the best person to clean up the company, adding in a rehearsed soundbite that his day in front of the committee represented "the most humble day of my life".

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site

Saint Unix said:
Melo said:
Imagine if Sagan was British and he was a Sky rider. He would've won like ten consecutive TdF.
Nope. Sagan is an amazing talent and you need to be a bit mediocre if you want to hop on the Sky Train and ride it to the top.

Also, we definitely need a "Lies from the Peloton" type thread where the sole aim is to list up inconsistencies from riders, directors and other staff. Not having to sift through page upon page of bickering in the big threads to find what you're looking for would be a huge timesaver. Given the mood of The Clinic at the moment it would become a Sky thread pretty quickly, but surely there's a bit of dirt to dig up from the other main culprits like Astana, Movi, Saxo, Etixx and Katusha.
Poor EBH. He really should have asked for the special SKY-sauce when he had the chance.

Re: Sky

Tommy79 said:
gillan1969 said:
You can't make SKY up... :)

Sir Dave "But I can work with the UCI, independent experts."

what? like Armstrong worked with Vrijman? :)

If nothing else, he can take the pi** with the best of them...

How should he go about proving they are clean?

Well he could have insisted that all his squad cooperated with the CIRC Inquiry !

As it was, we only have Froome telling us he spoke to them, & the simple fact that Sky on its own has a squad of at least 29, but the CIRC got to speak to less than a dozen current pros !

One striking detail to come out of the CIRC study was just how few of today’s current professional riders decided to cooperate with the panel’s investigation. Of the 174 people contacted by the panel, there were just over two dozen riders in that pool. And less than a dozen of those are current pros.

New generation my arse !

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Ventoux Boar said:
LeindersGains said:
[

Sky's Pravda, the Guardian and noted bully Hugh Grant, pursued Murdoch relentlessly over phone hacking. He was forced to shutter his fav newspaper, an editor was jailed, and he was humiliated in Parliament. I suggest you recalibrate the power of Murdoch to cover-up a jucier story than hacking.
Flanked by his son James, the chairman of News International, Murdoch said he and his company had been betrayed in a disgraceful way, but argued he was still the best person to clean up the company, adding in a rehearsed soundbite that his day in front of the committee represented "the most humble day of my life".

I think red top papers hacking phones is a massive story, because it had police collusion and is very important compared to a story about a guy taking in PEDS in a minority sport long known to be dirty and full of dope.

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site

Benotti69 said:
I think red top papers hacking phones is a massive story, because it had police collusion and is very important compared to a story about a guy taking in PEDS in a minority sport long known to be dirty and full of dope.

The story might be more about the head of British cycling, a pillar of Britain's home Olympics, running a doping program. But I'm sure Murdoch could keep the lid on, if it came to that, using all his establishment connections. Eh?

To clarify, I find it unlikely that Murdoch can rely on the people he was busy hacking for years - a huge story as you point out - to aid the cover-up of Britain's Lance Armstrong.

Ventoux Boar said:
Benotti69 said:

The story might be more about the head of British cycling, a pillar of Britain's home Olympics, running a doping program. But I'm sure Murdoch could keep the lid on, if it came to that, using all his establishment connections. Eh?

To clarify, I find it unlikely that Murdoch can rely on the people he was busy hacking for years - a huge story as you point out - to aid the cover-up of Britain's Lance Armstrong.

With Lottery funding at that, which in essence is government money.

May 19, 2015
Visit site

Ventoux Boar said:
LeindersGains said:
[

Hacking stories and unethical practices only confirms my perception of how the cycling business is run. When it's being financially supported by corporations like NewsCorp, Gazprom and Orica, you know it's a dirty sport all the way through.

But what makes Hugh Grant a bully? To me, it sounds like he was the victim.

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site

LeindersGains said:
Ventoux Boar said:
LeindersGains said:
[

Hacking stories and unethical practices only confirms my perception of how the cycling business is run. When it's being financially supported by corporations like NewsCorp, Gazprom and Orica, you know it's a dirty sport all the way through.

But what makes Hugh Grant a bully? To me, it sounds like he was the victim.

Hugh Grant shuttered media mogul Murdoch's favourite paper. He's no fey English fop. With such acute perceptions it must be tough to open the door in the morning. Chin-up.

TRENDING THREADS