• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1470 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Benotti69 said:
TheSpud said:
sniper said:
That's a triple deflection.
Own it.

Post the link to where it is answered and we can all move on - I cant find it. And its relevant because if a one-day TUE provides 3-4 weeks cover for an AAF then that is VERY different from it only providing cover for the 24 hours.

Ex riders have stated that the Wiggins injection meant he was covered the Tour and could take more injections claiming anything in his samples (if they tested for it) was from TUE injection.

Thank you

May 26, 2010
Visit site

TheSpud said:
Benotti69 said:
TheSpud said:
sniper said:
Own it.

Post the link to where it is answered and we can all move on - I cant find it. And its relevant because if a one-day TUE provides 3-4 weeks cover for an AAF then that is VERY different from it only providing cover for the 24 hours.

Ex riders have stated that the Wiggins injection meant he was covered the Tour and could take more injections claiming anything in his samples (if they tested for it) was from TUE injection.

Thank you

Have you not been following the sport for the last few weeks? Rasmussen, Millar and Jaksche have all be interviewed and quoted in major media, never mind knowledgable fans and Swart/Tucker talking about it!

One might think you come here not to discuss....

Benotti69 said:
TheSpud said:
Benotti69 said:
TheSpud said:
sniper said:
Own it.

Thank you

Have you not been following the sport for the last few weeks? Rasmussen, Millar and Jaksche have all be interviewed and quoted in major media, never mind knowledgable fans and Swart/Tucker talking about it!

One might think you come here not to discuss....

I absolutely did come here to discuss which is why I asked the question here and on the Wiggins thread (someone else also asked if it had been answered btw) but no-one actually answered it until you did just now - if it was that well known why didn't people post back stating which interview, etc. and providing a link.

I've read the Jaksche interview and it makes no mention of how long the TUE covers you for, just that it allows you to get a 50mg injection before the tour. It doesn't state whether you can keep getting further injections under the cover of the original TUE - something that I think is very relevant to the story. ie was it a one off injection or a series of injections?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

TheSpud said:
... if it was that well known why didn't people post back stating which interview, etc. and providing a link.
because it was clear that you used it as a deflection.
i pointed you to the TUE thread, which you could've checked yourself if you were genuinely interested in finding out.

sniper said:
TheSpud said:
... if it was that well known why didn't people post back stating which interview, etc. and providing a link.
i pointed you to the TUE thread, which you could've checked yourself if you were genuinely interested in finding out.

I did check but couldn't find it. But you know, you (or others) could have helped me out and linked to it rather than taking the approach of accusation and fighting ...

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

TheSpud said:
sniper said:
TheSpud said:

I did check but couldn't find it. But you know, you (or others) could have helped me out and linked to it rather than taking the approach of accusation and fighting ...
fair enough.
I'll look up what Ross Tucker had to say about it. He got the same question posed to him on twitter, iirc.
Rasmussen was also weighing in.
As as Benotti said, the bottom line was that with the 40mg TUE Wiggins could basically gear up with kenacort throughout the TdF without having fear a positive.
But i'll see if i can dig it up.

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Re:

sniper said:
The question is irrelevant to the issue at hand (the power of kenacort).
Stop clogging and move on.

I think the question is relevant and interesting. I too would like to know. And since when is this the "power of kenacort" thread?

John Swanson

May 26, 2010
Visit site

ScienceIsCool said:
sniper said:
The question is irrelevant to the issue at hand (the power of kenacort).
Stop clogging and move on.

I think the question is relevant and interesting. I too would like to know. And since when is this the "power of kenacort" thread?

John Swanson

Since Sky got 3 TUEs for Wiggins and Brailsford denied knowing it had any performance enhancement for a start.

Since Sky have been on the run after it was revealed that Wiggins got 3 TUEs for Kenacort before 3 of the biggest races of his career while on sky the team that refused to join MPCC becuase they claimed it was not strict enough.

Since they claimed they would rather a rider didn't race then apply for TUEs.

Since lots of former riders and lots of Doctors have told the world about it.

Since it was revealed the NHS for a decade has not used Kenacort.

Dalakhani said:
MatParker117 said:
until then Sky are entitled to a presumption of innocence from my viewpoint. This is still an allegation not proof of wrongdoing

Imagine you were a member of a jury, and the accused's alibi was proven to be a lie - that he was 600 miles away from where he claimed to be - wouldn't you think that's suspicious?

What we have here is Sky, rather than telling the truth, making a false accusation against another rider. And we know it's false because there's cast iron evidence Pooley was 600 miles away in another country.

So the question is why did they lie? And the answer is clearly because they don't want us to know the truth. Why not? Because the truth would be damning.

Again, the fact that it could be proven so quickly that Pooley was 600 miles away in another country strongly suggests that explanation wasn't intended to be a lie and was merely a misunderstanding/incompetence. The conspiracy theorist needs it to be a lie but the far more logical explanation is that it wasn't.

sniper said:
TheSpud said:
sniper said:
TheSpud said:

fair enough.
I'll look up what Ross Tucker had to say about it. He got the same question posed to him on twitter, iirc.
Rasmussen was also weighing in.
As as Benotti said, the bottom line was that with the 40mg TUE Wiggins could basically gear up with kenacort throughout the TdF without having fear a positive.
But i'll see if i can dig it up.

Please do. Seriously Sniper this is not about arguing with you or anyone else for the hell of it.

I asked (in my view) a couple of genuine questions - it wasn't about point scoring. I'm still not 100% convinced we have a proper answer on some things - mainly how long does the TUE cover you for, etc. I did not see that in the TUE thread or any of the interviews. That's where I am at, that's all.

Re:

Jeroen Swart said:
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=1982047#p1982047

This post I made in July will make more sense in light of recent events.

I got flamed for it by Benotti69.

Sometimes the benefit of hindsight makes things clearer. ;-)

Your comments surrounding these Wiggins TUE's does nothing to help the situation in cycling. Can I ask how you were able to conclude that they were unethical without actually seeing the individual's medical information? If anything was unethical it was you and others questioning the legitimacy of someone's medical treatment after an illegal hack of their data. It's absolutely appalling behaviour. I can understand a pretty simple man like Nico Roche making that mistake but you should have known much better.

JRanton said:
Dalakhani said:
MatParker117 said:
until then Sky are entitled to a presumption of innocence from my viewpoint. This is still an allegation not proof of wrongdoing

Imagine you were a member of a jury, and the accused's alibi was proven to be a lie - that he was 600 miles away from where he claimed to be - wouldn't you think that's suspicious?

What we have here is Sky, rather than telling the truth, making a false accusation against another rider. And we know it's false because there's cast iron evidence Pooley was 600 miles away in another country.

So the question is why did they lie? And the answer is clearly because they don't want us to know the truth. Why not? Because the truth would be damning.

Again, the fact that it could be proven so quickly that Pooley was 600 miles away in another country strongly suggests that explanation wasn't intended to be a lie and was merely a misunderstanding/incompetence. The conspiracy theorist needs it to be a lie but the far more logical explanation is that it wasn't.

It's interesting to be able to spin a blatant lie as a good sign... "The fact that they could not put up a good lie is proof that they didn't really intend to lie"

JRanton said:
Dalakhani said:
MatParker117 said:

It's cute that you suggest that all of Sky's lack of transparency and proven lies are a conspiracy. Can I have some some of what you're on?

I thought they were the masters of attention to detail? This isn't very attention-to-detaily I don't think...

Dalakhani said:
MatParker117 said:
Dalakhani said:
MatParker117 said:

I do but I don't make judgements without all of the information

You're already making a judgement. You're watching cycling and judging that what you're seeing from Sky is clean... despite the lies. You're judging that, by lying about Pooley, they're not covering anything up.

That's a judgetment

This isn't a court of law. When wel watch cycling we have to decide whether what we're seeing is legit, or whether it's superior doping. (If, indeed we care if they're doping at all.)

(would be interested to know if cope did meet Pooley that month for example), I didn't make a judgement about Armstrong until I read the USADA report and I will not make judgements here until people with access to more of the complete picture have evaluated that information and come to a decision.

And who will those people be? Anti-doping didn't catch Armstrong, the feds did. And it wasn't anti-doping that learned about this package, it was the Daily Mail.

If we left things to anti-doping, dopers would have nothing to fear.

From what I understand it was UKAD who were first informed about the package by a Team Sky insider. Lawton has a contact within UKAD who leaks everything to him (see Farah missed tests, Armitstead etc) so that's how he was able to break the story. The UKAD investigation was meant to remain confidential.

JRanton said:
sniper said:
more or less significant than clenbuterol?

Much less significant considering that Clen is banned in and out of competition.

That does not really have a lot to do with it, i suspect that clenbuterol is banned in and out of competition because it's simply not approved as a human medicine in most countries, so you can't really have a legal, legitimate use of it. The logical thing in that case is to ban it outright.
I think that systemic use of corticoids should be banned in competition and closely monitored OOC for what it's worth...

heart_attack_man said:
JRanton said:
Dalakhani said:
MatParker117 said:

It's cute that you suggest that all of Sky's lack of transparency and proven lies are a conspiracy. Can I have some some of what you're on?

I thought they were the masters of attention to detail? This isn't very attention-to-detaily I don't think...

We've seen numerous examples throughout their seven years in cycling where they haven't been able to live up to that description of them.

ColonelKidneyBeans said:
JRanton said:
Dalakhani said:
MatParker117 said:

It's interesting to be able to spin a blatant lie as a good sign... "The fact that they could not put up a good lie is proof that they didn't really intend to lie"

There is nothing to suggest this was an attempt to knowingly deceive the journalist in question. Can we agree that if it was, then it was probably one of the most stupid attempts at lying that you could possibly imagine?

People are pretending that the idea of Cope travelling to see Pooley is totally ludicrous. He was her coach for goodness sake!

JRanton said:
Triamcinolone isn't even banned outside of competition so please spare us the idea that this was a significant performance enhancer.

Are you for real?

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/09/jaksche-on-skys-tue-controversy-we-used-the-same-excuse-in-my-era/

From someone who actually used it:
Asked what the benefits were, Jaksche said that there were clear boosts.

“The effect was extreme. Cortisone reduces inflammation in your body, number one. It is also a little bit pushy as it is a hormone. So it causes a certain hormone rush.

“On one hand you are at [race] weight and you are more willing to perform, and then on the other hand it is a strong pain killer and an inflammation killer. So your recovery is shorter and the pain you are going through is less.

“It makes you very skinny. It burns fat. If you do it at the beginning of the Tour, you are going to lose another one to two kilos in the first week. You are going to suffer less. You are going to be less tired as your recuperation is faster because of the anti-inflammatory effects. It is the old school of doping.”

ontheroad said:
JRanton said:
Triamcinolone isn't even banned outside of competition so please spare us the idea that this was a significant performance enhancer.

Which is totally contrary to the views of former dopers who have witnessed at first hand its effects:

David Millar
“As I said in my book, I took EPO and testosterone patches, and they obviously produce huge differences… Kenacort [triamcinolone], though, was the only one you took and three days later you looked different,” Millar told The Telegraph last week.

“You would do all the training but my weight would stick. But if I took Kenacort, 1.5-2kgs would drop off in like a week. And not only would the weight drop off, I would feel stronger.”

“No, that’s cheating?” Dumoulin said when asked if he would consider applying for such a TUE.

Joerg Jaksche

TUE or not, he is clear that there is a big boost from injections of Triamcinolone acetonide.

“I would say it is a very big performance improver. It reduces weight, it increases your recovery and it is a very strong painkiller. From my experience, I would say that it is probably a three to five percent performance improvement.

“It is not marginal,” Jaksche adds, with a laugh.

I'll take the view of WADA and their medical experts over the likes of Joerg Jaksche and David Millar if that's ok with you. I also like how David Millar, whose views and opinions are normally treated with utter contempt on here, suddenly becomes somebody worth listening to the second he says something that fits your argument.

You guys are too funny.

heart_attack_man said:
JRanton said:

Are you for real?

http://cyclingtips.com/2016/09/jaksche-on-skys-tue-controversy-we-used-the-same-excuse-in-my-era/

From someone who actually used it:
Asked what the benefits were, Jaksche said that there were clear boosts.

“The effect was extreme. Cortisone reduces inflammation in your body, number one. It is also a little bit pushy as it is a hormone. So it causes a certain hormone rush.

“On one hand you are at [race] weight and you are more willing to perform, and then on the other hand it is a strong pain killer and an inflammation killer. So your recovery is shorter and the pain you are going through is less.

“It makes you very skinny. It burns fat. If you do it at the beginning of the Tour, you are going to lose another one to two kilos in the first week. You are going to suffer less. You are going to be less tired as your recuperation is faster because of the anti-inflammatory effects. It is the old school of doping.”
The thing is, if we want to be honest, when we have the opinion of Jaksche, Millar or Chicken, we have to remember they where taking boatloads of other drugs... My point is they might have had a greater boost from triam because the catabolic effects where counterbalanced by their testo/hgh intake... The jury is still out for wiggins on the whole doping cocktail thing (disclaimer, for me it's clear since his 2009 tour that he has an extensive doping regimen, but he's still "never tested positive" as of now)

ontheroad wrote:

JRanton wrote:

Which is totally contrary to the views of former dopers who have witnessed at first hand its effects:

David Millar
“As I said in my book, I took EPO and testosterone patches, and they obviously produce huge differences… Kenacort [triamcinolone], though, was the only one you took and three days later you looked different,” Millar told The Telegraph last week.

“You would do all the training but my weight would stick. But if I took Kenacort, 1.5-2kgs would drop off in like a week. And not only would the weight drop off, I would feel stronger.”

“No, that’s cheating?” Dumoulin said when asked if he would consider applying for such a TUE.

Joerg Jaksche

TUE or not, he is clear that there is a big boost from injections of Triamcinolone acetonide.

“I would say it is a very big performance improver. It reduces weight, it increases your recovery and it is a very strong painkiller. From my experience, I would say that it is probably a three to five percent performance improvement.

“It is not marginal,” Jaksche adds, with a laugh.

I'll take the view of WADA and their medical experts over the likes of Joerg Jaksche and David Millar if that's ok with you. I also like how David Millar, whose views and opinions are normally treated with utter contempt on here, suddenly becomes somebody worth listening to the second he says something that fits your argument.

You guys are too funny.
This, Millar isn't thrustworthy at all and it seems there's some bad blood between him and wiggins, wouldn't surprise me if he was embellishing the boost he got a bit just to spite wiggins :lol:

There is nothing to suggest this was an attempt to knowingly deceive the journalist in question. Can we agree that if it was, then it was probably one of the most stupid attempts at lying that you could possibly imagine?

People are pretending that the idea of Cope travelling to see Pooley is totally ludicrous. He was her coach for goodness sake!
Screams like panic mode to me, and that's never a good sign... I have to ask you, do you really think that there's nothing going on, not here specifically, but at sky in broad terms? apologies if someone as already asked you that, but i don't want to go trough entire post history :D

I just think at some point, the assumption that none of these deceptions or untruths are intentional gets to the point where you're considering Brailsford to be so incompetent he could only have got as far as he has by blind guesswork and pure fluke. Personally, although I don't think he's a very convincing liar, I'm also pretty certain that he isn't a stupid man. The Pooley explanation was not Brailsford thinking on the fly in conversation with LAwton, whereupon I could buy it as innocent. Confronted by a journalist with a question about something that happened five years ago and not recalling the details, whether you were trying to hide something or not you could readily think "hmmm, maybe he was seeing Emma, June would be before the Giro same as the Tour, she'd be training in the mountains" and put it forward as a potential reason, and then when it turns out not to be true, say, fair enough, must have been something else. But Brailsford went away and thought about it. He allegedly investigated what had happened before coming back to Lawton and implicating Pooley. So either a story has been cooked up without fact-checking (in which case it's a very foolish lie to make, because it's so easily disproven) or a panicked Cope has proffered an excuse, and rather than doing the investigation he said he'd do, Brailsford has taken it on face value and gone back to Lawton and repeated it, which makes him look incompetent when it comes to fact-checking and dealing with subordinates and gullible. He didn't say "Cope says he went to see Pooley, but that can't be it as she was elsewhere" either - which would indicate that that was the story he was being sold, he had looked into it but was yet to get to the bottom of it. Telling it this way would, however, throw Cope under the bus. But that doesn't explain the inconsistent and inaccurate stories about the bus and Wiggins' whereabouts, because nobody needed to have lied to Brailsford on that one. There are so many things he could have done to prevent him going back to Lawton and giving such an easily disprovable explanation - twice - in good faith. So many. So it's hard to believe that a guy who's got as far as he has done in the sport could be so incompetent as to go for the absolute worst option twice in a row. Especially bearing in mind it's a line of questioning that he's staked his reputation on.

I personally think that if you honestly think that in every situation where he has been caught out telling inconsistent versions of events or making justifications that are proven false, it's just been a case of misrepresentation and he's been foolish or not checked his facts, then actually you're crediting him with so little intelligence it's actually probably more insulting to him. Remember: we don't actually know what was in that package. We don't know that it was anything dubious at all. It's only the way that Brailsford and his team have reacted around the allegations that's turned it into something as big as it is. Because, if it wasn't something dubious, why would anybody have had anything to hide? Why would Cope have needed to give an excuse? Somebody at Team Sky or British Cycling is hiding something, even if it isn't Brailsford, don't you think? And if it isn't Brailsford, how can he have given all those press conferences and statements where he's defended the team's cleanliness if he's got so little control over what his doctors and riders do? Shouldn't he be mad that people telling lies to him are making him look like an idiot in the press? Shouldn't he be fact checking more vigorously to challenge those people before repeating their stories to journalists?

JRanton said:
Jeroen Swart said:
http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=1982047#p1982047

This post I made in July will make more sense in light of recent events.

I got flamed for it by Benotti69.

Sometimes the benefit of hindsight makes things clearer. ;-)

Your comments surrounding these Wiggins TUE's does nothing to help the situation in cycling. Can I ask how you were able to conclude that they were unethical without actually seeing the individual's medical information? If anything was unethical it was you and others questioning the legitimacy of someone's medical treatment after an illegal hack of their data. It's absolutely appalling behaviour. I can understand a pretty simple man like Nico Roche making that mistake but you should have known much better.

Ethical/unethical is strongly connected to truth/untruth.

There are different arguments to be made, but my position is that the worst moral crime that Armstrong committed was the incessant and unremitting lying.

People have already established that Sky have lied - on numerous occasions - about these matters (for example, about not joining the MPCC). Can you please explain: what is unethical about holding people to account for their dishonesty?

TRENDING THREADS