• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Ineos (Formerly the Sky thread)

Page 1608 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
While I don’t deny that Bernal is a very talented cyclist, I just can’t take anyone from Ineos seriously, not with so many suspicious (sometimes very obviously dirty) performances since they burst on to the scene a decade ago. I don’t find them any less suspicious or downright dirty like any of the strong teams of yesteryear like US Postal, Telekom, Festina, Kelme, Once, Fassa Bortolo, Rabobank, etc.

You are correct and should be suspicious. The Ineos train drilling it climbs at like 6.9 - 7.1 w/kg demonstrates that there is still systematic team doping in our sport. It will always be if you want to win , simple. Its just the drugs and the doses have been more cared for by more educated team doctors nowadays. Also , there is no one reporter like David Walsh reporting on the "not normal" rides anymore, so everything gets washed away.

I believe the only way we will see any rider caught in a big doping scandal is if they become super sloppy in their dosages and regiment while at the same time, a UCI tester is super pissed off and has a vendetta against a group of riders that he or she wants to make an example out of.

I believe the only way we will see any rider caught in a big doping scandal is if they become super sloppy in their dosages and regiment while at the same time, a UCI tester is super pissed off and has a vendetta against a group of riders that he or she wants to make an example out of.
Or the other way is if [criminal] law enforcement somehow becomes involved.

Reactions: Jaques and veganrob
You are correct and should be suspicious. The Ineos train drilling it climbs at like 6.9 - 7.1 w/kg demonstrates that there is still systematic team doping in our sport. It will always be if you want to win , simple. Its just the drugs and the doses have been more cared for by more educated team doctors nowadays. Also , there is no one reporter like David Walsh reporting on the "not normal" rides anymore, so everything gets washed away.

I still don’t understand how the tests get passed though. If riders get tested immediately upon winning a stage or GT then how aren’t their values overboard or at least off from the passport? Even a quick IV in the team bus would be hard to fix the numbers to the right spot. Are the tests being handled corruptly in some way? Or is this really just micro dosing? Look at PDBF last year, shouldn’t that be an immediate pop?

I still don’t understand how the tests get passed though. If riders get tested immediately upon winning a stage or GT then how aren’t their values overboard or at least off from the passport? Even a quick IV in the team bus would be hard to fix the numbers to the right spot. Are the tests being handled corruptly in some way? Or is this really just micro dosing? Look at PDBF last year, shouldn’t that be an immediate pop?
Micro dosing, masking agents, new techniques. I don't think the testing is systematically corrupt, per se, but more like insufficient and not screening for the latest drugs.

I guess this finally confirms it; Ineos doesn't have the best doctors anymore :D

(Joking aside, I obviously feel sorry for Brailsford and anyone else who's diagnosed with cancer and/or has to deal with other possibly major health issues)

They pretty much lost any gap they had in GTs, haven't they?

Its not even that much about the top end. If you face two out of the world Slovenians, not much you can do, I guess. But their teams just look so much worse than they did in the domination years when they usually had multiple riders that could do what e.g. Kuss is doing right now. Think of G, Porte, Rogers, Kwia, ...

Ok, lets not focus on Kuss than. But you could be sure that of an elite 10-15 group of climbers 5-6 were from Ineos in any GT between 2012 and 2019. When was that the case in the last 2 years? Never.

Yeah. Maybe not 5-6, but I get your point.

Adam Yates specifically going to the Vuelta from the start of the season and looking relatively worse than in the spring races tells a lot too

Edit: unless Yates is told to have one eye on Bernal

to me somewhere ineos are getting their tactics/preparation wrong......carapaz/bernal can

turn up as worldbeaters....at level better than old wiggo but so often falling far short with a team

that completely lacks cohesion

Mark L
I don't think Ineos have targeted La Vuelta beyond Yates arriving in form. The team is performing at a much deeper level throughout the season now than they ever did in Wiggins days of all or nothing in Le Tour. Look at their ranking at the moment, over 2000 points ahead of Jumbo, 3000 ahead of UAE and even beating DQS to the top of the table.

I don't think Ineos have targeted La Vuelta beyond Yates arriving in form. The team is performing at a much deeper level throughout the season now than they ever did in Wiggins days of all or nothing in Le Tour. Look at their ranking at the moment, over 2000 points ahead of Jumbo, 3000 ahead of UAE and even beating DQS to the top of the table.
You don't remember 2012 very well, do you.

Check out the pre-Tour results.

Haven't we been complaining that you get too much points for GC placings compared to wins? Not to mention A LOT more points are given out for the races compared to before for UCI races. Also there are more races in the UCI World Tour. = more points to be gained then before.
#Prev.Diff.TeamClassWins2nd3rd
11-Deceuninck - Quick StepWT514026
29▲7INEOS GrenadiersWT311721
DQS is destroying them in podium placings. this year.

Then it is not like they have underperformed in years past. They are almost always top 5. They even had more PCS points in 2012 compared to this year. I am sure they also have more UCI points in 2012 compared to 2021 if they are given the same point value.
pcs
UCI
2020 PCS
2020 UCI
2019 PCS
2019 UCI
2013 PCS
2013 UCI
RankTeamPointsTop 5 ridersWTTT
1​
Movistar Team
1610​
Valverde (540), Quintana (366), Costa (352), Intxausti (196), J. Moreno (86)70
2​
Team Sky
1561​
Froome (587), Porte (327), Henao (227), Urán (163), Thomas (117)140
3​
Team Katusha
1340​
Rodríguez (607), D. Moreno (295), Špilak (199), Kristoff (161), Paolini (78)0
4​
RadioShack–Leopard
1056​
Cancellara (384), Horner (257), Bakelants (127), Nizzolo (85), Gallopin (83)120
5​
Astana
1045​
Nibali (474), Fuglsang (160), Kangert (116), Gasparotto (115), Hryvko (70)110
2012 PCS
#Prev.Diff.TeamClassPoints
12▲1Sky ProcyclingWT10027
217▲15Omega Pharma - Quick-StepWT7824
312▲9Team KatushaWT7026
48▲4Liquigas - CannondaleWT6465
513▲8Movistar TeamWT6457
2012 UCI
RankTeamPointsTop 5 ridersWTTT
1​
Team Sky
1767​
Wiggins (601), Froome (376), Boasson Hagen (317), Urán (199), Rogers (194)80
2​
Team Katusha
1273​
Rodríguez (692), Freire (181), Kolobnev (110), D. Moreno (104), Špilak (86)100
3​
Liquigas–Cannondale
1197​
Nibali (400), P. Sagan (351), Moser (175), Basso (88), Capecchi (53)130
4​
Omega Pharma–Quick-Step
1162​
Boonen (410), T. Martin (171), Terpstra (160), Chavanel (113), Kwiatkowski (108)200
5​
Movistar Team
952​
Valverde (394), Costa (320), Intxausti (47), Kiryienka (41), Castroviejo (40)110

Reactions: Black Betsy
And now deduct Wiggins points hahaha!

The point was, they are highest ranking of the top 3 GC teams 'this year', nothing more.
Why? He was their leader, they would have just rode for a different rider. Might as well deduct Carapaz's points. They are always top 3 of the GC teams, nothing is new. This Vuelta so far they are not as crisp as before but still in contention technically within 3 minutes. A lot can still happen.

Why? He was their leader, they would have just rode for a different rider. Might as well deduct Carapaz's points. They are always top 3 of the GC teams, nothing is new. This Vuelta so far they are not as crisp as before but still in contention technically within 3 minutes. A lot can still happen.
Because my point clearly defined 'depth' in the points this year as that was the context.

1 CARAPAZ Richard(1730)4
2 BERNAL Egan(1261)12
3 THOMAS Geraint(928)26
4 YATES Adam(848)33
5 PORTE Richie(802)39
6 HAYTER Ethan(742)44
7 GANNA Filippo(705)49
8 KWIATKOWSKI Michał(664)57
9 VAN BAARLE Dylan(620)61
10 PIDCOCK Thomas(541)

TRENDING THREADS