• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Jumbo-Visma

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
On Roglic:

Guy quickly developed into a solid short stage race and good TT rider. seems Very reasonable. Looks like he finished the Giro, Next year his First TdF and second place in the climbers category, collecting solid results, pretty consistently.

My opinion, Not a guy that came out of nowhere. They took their time developing him, which is good.

Reactions: Cookster15
Was pretty-much a carbon-copy Sky racing until Roglic crashed, but the identical MTF short course didn't help the first 4 stages in terms of the GC at all.
Some people already saying because HVMN Ketones are impossible to buy now around the World for some reason, Jumbo bought all the stocks. Let the speculation begin ahaha!

They took a team of Roglic/Kruisjwijk/Dumoulin/Kuss to a week long stage race, plus WVA for stage wins. Astana's top guys (Fuglsang, and at this point Vlasov) were elsewhere, and Ineos was in disarray.

They're definitely a team to watch but them being the controlling team in that race isn't exactly unexpected.

Last edited:
Hmm. One would have thought that they would prefer to fly under the radar in stages like today especially given that they had some very strong performances by various riders in the past few months ( Roglic, Van Aert, Bennett all in great form, not to mention the likes of Kuss etc. ) and that they are here to win the GC but it seems that they want to win everything. Can other teams respond?

Jumbos 3rd climbing dom and a bunch sprinter. Really nothing to see here. Completely normal that riders can do it all.
Like Sagan in the 2015 Tour of California, when he won a sprints, the ITT and was on the podium on every single stage but the MTF, when he still finished 6th, ahead of Gesink and Zubeldia.
The difference is that Wout is doing it at the freaking Tour de France and not at the 4th gt...
It looks like Jumbo really used the fact that WADA did almost no testing durning the ongoing pandemic and is now flying like Icarus.
The question is if they aren't too hot too early and will crash and burn at some point durning the 2nd half of the race.
I'm not just talking about doping, it looks like their whole training was geared towards all of them flying from the start. It remains to be seen if they will pay for it durning the later parts of the season or if the whole "strike the Iron while it's hot" approach will work.
It reminds me a bit of Atalanta who were totally flying when Serie A got restarted, the objective was to secure a CL spot asap (In case the whole league got stopped again/ended early). Later on they were totally cooked and could barely hold it together for 45min before crumbling.

Jumbos 3rd climbing dom and a bunch sprinter. Really nothing to see here. Completely normal that riders can do it all.

Fair enough for probably the world's best current all rounder I'd say. Won in a very similar fashion in a similar stage finish last year (Stage 10) , beating some v. good sprinters and fast finishers.

Fair enough for probably the world's best current all rounder I'd say. Won in a very similar fashion in a similar stage finish last year (Stage 10) , beating some v. good sprinters and fast finishers.

Agree. WVA was absolutely dominant in CX over the entirety of seasons. His first try at the TdF last year and gets a stage. Wins MSR.... (!!) That is what internationally extraordinary talent does that isn't doping. Pretty sure he's the real thing.

IF the UCI/ASO is "married" to Lotto Jumbo Visma the way they were to Sky, and before that Postal, you would see routine ordinary->extraordinary performances that strain credibility.

Roglic, and pretty much the whole jumbo TdF squad has been near several grand tour podiums.

Last edited:
Wait... wasn't it you that was cheering on an 18 year old "cobbled/classics" first year pro coming straight out of the juniors, for being such a good climber, outclimbing Rivera, Foss, Piccoli, Bouwman, Tolhoek etc, like the exact same day you were posting this? :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Or is there another F_Cance account i'm not aware of? You are giving a whole new meaning to the word hypocrisy.

Agree. WVA was absolutely dominant in CX over the entirety of seasons. His first try at the TdF last year and gets a stage. Wins MSR.... (!!) That is what internationally extraordinary talent does that isn't doping. Pretty sure he's the real thing.

IF the UCI/ASO is "married" to Lotto Jumbo Visma the way they were to Sky, and before that Postal, you would see routine ordinary->extraordinary performances that strain credibility.

Roglic, and pretty much the whole jumbo TdF squad has been near several grand tour podiums.
I'm not sure if you know what dominance means.

you really can't see the difference logic? A young rider testing his strengths in a random 2.1 race with a weak startlist vs a TDF stage winning bunch sprinter who is also a top 20 climber in the same race?
He's not a top 20 climber in the race though. He put in a max effort while most other climbers were still thinking about the next climb still to come.

EBH has done similar before while also sometimes contending for bunch sprints. Matthews could do it. Sagan certainly could have done so in the early part of his career. GVA could probably do it now if he was on dom duty. It's not that much of an outlier.

The first part is true, but i really have my doubts about the 2nd part.
The thing that is most weird to me isn't WVA's climbing. Strong man sprinters can often be pretty good climbers if they put their mind to it. And his climbing isn't that off the charts in this race so far.

But I struggle to think of a bunch sprinter in recent years who was also so good at long time trials. They are basically different discipline's needing different muscle fibres. It's pretty weird to be just so good at both.

Riders like Cancellara and Kwiatkowski, for example, both TT well and have a fast kick at the end of a tough race. But they were still a long way from regularly challenging for bunch sprints in the Tour.

you really can't see the difference logic? A young rider testing his strengths in a random 2.1 race with a weak startlist vs a TDF stage winning bunch sprinter who is also a top 20 climber in the same race?
No i can't. It's not any more normal for a 72kg classics riding neo pro, coming straight from juniors, never having been "a climber" to randomly beat actual climbers for a stage and GC, than a known powerhouse as van Aert, who has been long known for crunching out insane watts, to do one huge pull, before parking sideways. You may want to ridicule the "weak startlist", but maybe you should try again, because there are some pretty good climbers on the startlist.

Just for the record, i have no intention in pointing fingers towards young Quinn, my main aim is to expose hypocrites who like throwing accusations around.

Genius by JV to throw the suspicious off the trail by having:
  • their team self destruct during big efforts in key stages
  • Bennet, Kuss, Gessink and Dumoulin all underperform against expectations previous peak performances
  • have one of their dual threat GC contenders out of contention in the first week

Comparisons with Sky are valid. Ruthlessly buying success by recruiting the strongest available riders.

Their lead riders are more credible overall in my eyes than Skys first three TdF winners, so I'm giving them a pass for now. I do expect some of their domestiques to show much stronger performance in the rest of the race (perhaps an intentional tactic).

TRENDING THREADS