• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 71 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oh no, you're totally right there, Mercatone Uno is not connected. I was mixing their kit with the Mapei one of the time and conflating the teams as one as they also collapsed around the same time too. The actual last time the Quick Step lineage won a GT would be Rominger's '95 Giro then.

Either way it's debatable because some consider Quick Step a new team as of 2003, others consider they acquire the Mapei and Domo-Farm Frites lineages, similar to whether UAE Team Emirates includes the Saeco or the Lampre lineage or both. The current licence-holding entity for Quick Step has never won a Grand Tour.

My opinion is Mas is better to stay at QS for the next two years until he develops more fully into a GC leader - You stay at QS with limited support BUT have little pressure and you can develop at your leisure - Unsure that Mas is ready to join the pressure cooker of Movistar - My guess is MS will have a crack at Nieve.

Re: Re:

yaco said:
tobydawq said:
Nieve already rides for MS.

I am referring to Movistar - Why would you think otherwise in a Movistar thread - Anyway Nieve is on very good money at Mitchelton Scott which at the time Sky couldn't match, though Mitchelton has less money then two years ago.

And what would Nieve do in Movistar? He certainly won't be someone they build a team around. He won't be a leader there, climbing domestiques they have plenty... I mean, he's a good rider, but he certainly isn't someone Movistar desperately needs.

I don't even think that they really need to resign Quintana if they go for Mas. Mas, Soler and Carapaz would be a strong foundation for the future and some of the money that is now needed for Quintana and Landa could be used to sign strong domestiques and young talents.

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
I don't even think that they really need to resign Quintana if they go for Mas. Mas, Soler and Carapaz would be a strong foundation for the future and some of the money that is now needed for Quintana and Landa could be used to sign strong domestiques and young talents.

I agree with this. Make the most sense to me to go in this direction.

If they did that then maybe they could get the likes of Samitier back into the system, or sign Fernando Barceló. Lizarte has been gutted of quite a few of its recent talents and not just to Movistar - Samitier and Óscar Rodríguez going to Euskadi-Murias, Dzmitry Zhyhunou and António Soto (altho he was nearly 25 so probably not a major prospect so to speak) to Euskadi Continental, Nicolás Saenz to Manzana-Postobon. I'm thinking maybe Martí Marquez or José Félix Parra next to come, though Martin Bouzas has started the season well.

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Mayomaniac said:

Maybe you are right, but we will see what Quintana will do in the Grand Tours this season. But what young talents could they sign for the next season, that don't have a contract for next season? Also how many of them could be Grand Tour contenders? I struggle to find riders who could do that, that are aldredy pros. Maybe we could find some in the U23 and Juniors.
Also, Mas and Carapaz have show they can perform at a GT level. Soler, hasn't, yet. More, in't it too risky to let Quintana and Landa go, while Valverde is in his final years in cycling,and replace them with cyclists that the team doesn't have the evidence yet, they can perform a similar level?

In Soler defence... he hasnt really gotten the opportunity to ride for his own ambitions yet in a GT or in a lot of stage races.

He do need to kind of prove P-N wasnt a fluke. Even though he was pretty consistent last year with 3rd in Andalucia and 5th in Catalunya, 3rd the year before in 2017 also.

This year he has not been good though, so far.

josemoreira said:
Mayomaniac said:

Maybe you are right, but we will see what Quintana will do in the Grand Tours this season. But what young talents could they sign for the next season, that don't have a contract for next season? Also how many of them could be Grand Tour contenders? I struggle to find riders who could do that, that are aldredy pros. Maybe we could find some in the U23 and Juniors.
Also, Mas and Carapaz have show they can perform at a GT level. Soler, hasn't, yet. More, in't it too risky to let Quintana and Landa go, while Valverde is in his final years in cycling,and replace them with cyclists that the team doesn't have the evidence yet, they can perform a similar level?

Quintana hasn't done exactly done anything to show he's worth what they are paying him the last two years. They need to do a complete and total rebuild of this team around young talent which Quintana is not.

Blanco said:
yaco said:
tobydawq said:

I am referring to Movistar - Why would you think otherwise in a Movistar thread - Anyway Nieve is on very good money at Mitchelton Scott which at the time Sky couldn't match, though Mitchelton has less money then two years ago.

And what would Nieve do in Movistar? He certainly won't be someone they build a team around. He won't be a leader there, climbing domestiques they have plenty... I mean, he's a good rider, but he certainly isn't someone Movistar desperately needs.

May not have a desperate need but high standard climbing domestics are always in need - And if Quintana and Landa leave along with the decline of Valverde then you lose a chunk of experience - Anyway, doubt Movistar could/would offer Nieve the salary he's receiving at Mitchelton Scott.

yaco said:
Blanco said:
yaco said:
tobydawq said:

May not have a desperate need but high standard climbing domestics are always in need - And if Quintana and Landa leave along with the decline of Valverde then you lose a chunk of experience - Anyway, doubt Movistar could/would offer Nieve the salary he's receiving at Mitchelton Scott.

What would be the point of Nieve, who is quite a few years older than Nairo? The only way that would make sense would be essentially as a superdom to Mas/Nairo/whoever is leader, which he is already doing for the Yates at MS.

perico said:
yaco said:
Blanco said:
yaco said:
tobydawq said:

What would be the point of Nieve, who is quite a few years older than Nairo? The only way that would make sense would be essentially as a superdom to Mas/Nairo/whoever is leader, which he is already doing for the Yates at MS.

Yeah, well, that isn't really beneficial for Movistar, though, is it?

Koronin said:
Escarabajo said:

It never exactly left as Landa and Quintana have been making comments anyway. Apparently they don't understand the whole is idea of if you do the same thing you are going to get the same results.

One of them had to go to the Vuelta with Carapaz I think. Obviously the Giro result has given them confidence.

Yes, better just bring one leader instead of two or three. That will help them win against Ineos.

God, that's just so unintelligent. You gotta rely on multiple leaders when you have multiple leaders. It should always be better to have one rider than two who realistically can challenge for the win, especially in a race like the Tour where the risk of crashing etc. are pretty high. They didn't do horrible last year because of that, but simply because of legs. Valverde tried, Landa tried, Quintana tried, but they werent good enough, Simples! The solution isn't not picking one of Landa and Quintana.

GettyImages-992612982-1440x810.jpg

TRENDING THREADS