• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Movistar-thread

Page 86 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Movistar needs to do what Mitchelton Scott is doing in this year's Vuelta - They are giving Haig and Hamilton and Haig the chance to ride for GC - And there will be no distraction like Yates and Chaves at the Vuelta - There is no logical reason why Soler is not the leader at the Giro in which he will be suited by the parcours - Soler needs to get out of Movistar fast.

Because they want co leaders at the Tour which is what Mas and Soler are. Valverde is attempting to tell everyone he's going to the Tour to help them and get ready for the Olympics. The logical reason why Soler is not going to the Giro may be as simple as he wants to go to the Tour not the Giro. Plus Movistar prefers sending co-leaders to the Tour. Also remember for Movistar the Giro is the Grand Tour that holds the least importance. It's likely Betancur will be the race leader for the Giro with a very likely young team.
Also remember that Soler recently re-signed with Movistar with the guarantee he'd start getting leadership opportunities. He started getting a few of those two years ago (remember he won Paris-Nice). Now he's one of the team's 3 leaders whom they are counting on for this season and next season.

Edit: Oh, and theres actually a Dane on the squad for once. I would never have imagined that actually, thats great and could get some decent insight.

Technically he's not the first. Gert Frank was on the team waaaaaaaaay back in 1980, when they were called Reynolds - Benotto, but... still the same team.

But, yeah… I was quite surprised by it was well. They've clearly gone for a more international approach this year.

Technically he's not the first. Gert Frank was on the team waaaaaaaaay back in 1980, when they were called Reynolds - Benotto, but... still the same team.

But, yeah… I was quite surprised by it was well. They've clearly gone for a more international approach this year.

Thanks, I didn't know they had had a Dane on their team before this season. I also had to go do some research to find out that Matteo Jorgenson isn't the first American they've had on the team either. Andrew Hampsten raced for them for one season in the 90's.

It definitely feels like the team has gone a bit more international, although with the requirement that any rider who comes into the team learns Spanish and the team remains over 50% Spaniards.

Because they want co leaders at the Tour which is what Mas and Soler are. Valverde is attempting to tell everyone he's going to the Tour to help them and get ready for the Olympics. The logical reason why Soler is not going to the Giro may be as simple as he wants to go to the Tour not the Giro. Plus Movistar prefers sending co-leaders to the Tour. Also remember for Movistar the Giro is the Grand Tour that holds the least importance. It's likely Betancur will be the race leader for the Giro with a very likely young team.
Also remember that Soler recently re-signed with Movistar with the guarantee he'd start getting leadership opportunities. He started getting a few of those two years ago (remember he won Paris-Nice). Now he's one of the team's 3 leaders whom they are counting on for this season and next season.

Not sure what team Movistar will produce at the Giro - It's good to see Betancur racing so early in the season and appearing to be in decent shape - I suspect the Giro will be stage hunting, though it could have been more.

Not sure what team Movistar will produce at the Giro - It's good to see Betancur racing so early in the season and appearing to be in decent shape - I suspect the Giro will be stage hunting, though it could have been more.

I suspect you're correct about the Giro team being a stage hunting team. It's possible at least one of the two (if not both) of the young Colombians on the team will go to the Giro along with Betancur. As the team usually sends any Italian riders they have to the Giro, I would think those two will go. Their idea has appeared to be it's their home Grand Tour let them race it. Then figure out the other 3/4 riders from there.

Valverde, Soler, Mas, Erviti definitely won't be on the Giro team.

LMAO!!!!! Oh that could have gotten very confusing for well everyone.

Especially considering that Jørgensen would probably mostly be spelled as Jorgensen on international media, and Mathias/Matteo would just be… M. on race graphics. Though at least for the race graphics they might have been nice enough to write M.N. Jorgensen, in fact; might still do, seems not everyone has gotten the hang of the "Danes being known by their middle name" thing.

Especially considering that Jørgensen would probably mostly be spelled as Jorgensen on international media, and Mathias/Matteo would just be… M. on race graphics. Though at least for the race graphics they might have been nice enough to write M.N. Jorgensen, in fact; might still do, seems not everyone has gotten the hang of the "Danes being known by their middle name" thing.

Even the idea of using two letters of the first name won't work. At least in US broadcasting when you have two athletes with the same last name and same first letter of the first name they'll use first two. (Kyle and Kurt Bush/NASCAR as an example). Hopefully the team can help with this. I guess for this specific thing it may be a good thing that Mathias is with Movistar since most Spaniards (actually more most Spanish speaking cultures) use their first last name or "middle" name instead of the "last" name. If we're lucky the broadcasters will go by the name Movistar gives them which will be Norsgaard. On their website he's listed as Mathias Norsgaard. Hopefully that will help.

I learned something new today. I didn't know that Danes use (for lack of a better term) double last names. Now I do and I also now know that Danes are known by their middle name.

Last edited:
So some are and some aren't?

Basically. And I think for cyclists - and other noticable people - it's all about using the name that's most unique. Different teams, but take Cort and Stokbro; they're both called 'Nielsen', but it's easier to tell them apart when they're referred to by their middle names.
And then there are some who don't have middle names.

Basically, there is no set rule regarding Danish names!

Noticed that now Bahrain-Merida have forced a 70% pay cut for the next three months. Astana is having similar financial strains placed upon their riders. As far as I know, Movistar riders are still receiving close to full wages. I hate it for all those riders, but it also shows what a putz Aquadro is for steering his Spanish riders away from Unzue to squads with a less solid support system (except Amador who signed with a team that can afford to pay). Hopefully the next wave of Spanish riders will consider this if they sign with an agent who is more interested in feuding than ensuring his clients have stability.

Reactions: Koronin
How many riders have Aquadro specifically steered towards Bahrain-McLaren (as they're called now) or Astana?
And I guess what's true for Amador is also true for Carapaz.
I was more referring to Spanish riders; doms and up and comers, not guys like Carapaz who is a team leader or Amador who has nothing more to prove at Movistar.

Oscar Rodriguez is one I was thinking of specifically. David de la cruz. Two that were supposed to sign with Unzue until the fallout.

Last edited:
Koronin, are you taking part?

I'm horrible at designing things. I may try something, but I don't expect it to be very good. It also doesn't help that I don't own a color printer. (Black and white laser printer because I have to print tons of stuff on a monthly basis for work). I could write a summary of a fictional Paris-Roubiax better than trying to do something that looks good for this contest.

TRENDING THREADS