• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Nicknames

Alright, we have a thread about rider nicknames somewhere but what about team nicknames?
So far I can think of two:

Garmin: Argyle Armada

Euskaltel: Bleeding carrots

(Though I guess calling someone from Euskaltel a "bleeding carrot" to their face wouldn't me too smart. Except most of them probably wouldn't understand it...)

RedheadDane said:
Alright, we have a thread about rider nicknames somewhere but what about team nicknames?
So far I can think of two:

Garmin: Argyle Armada

Euskaltel: Bleeding carrots

(Though I guess calling someone from Euskaltel a "bleeding carrot" to their face wouldn't me too smart. Except most of them probably wouldn't understand it...)

In 2010, Sky was known around here as "Team Ground" due to their inimitable sprint train crashing style. I think they did a little better in 2011, Wiggins excepted. :)

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Only current teams or past teams as well?

I remember when Cipollini used to ride for Saeco around 1999-2000, they used to be called the red train. Not very creative though.

Havetts said:
We Dutchies and Rabobank fans - if I may speak in your name :p - like to call Rabobank ----> RaboFail :)

And i remember, must have been sometime during the 2010 season someone commented on how almost all of the rabobank team were always in the autobus and pretty much leading it. Hence forth it was named the 'Rabobus':eek:

In terms of forum nicks Rabobus is a classic. Geriatric/Retirement-Shack is another. There have been some great plays on BMC, Cadelboys, or else puns on the name: 'Bring Me Cadel' or 'Because Mediocrity Counts' spring to mind. Although with Golbert for next year those might be subject to reassessment.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Coincidentally, the Victorian Premier used one of those BMC puns in his speech at the Welcome Home Cadel celebrations. Can't remember what it was.

El Imbatido said:
And i remember, must have been sometime during the 2010 season someone commented on how almost all of the rabobank team were always in the autobus and pretty much leading it. Hence forth it was named the 'Rabobus':eek:

I have to hold my hand up for that one.

Maybe, it might be an idea to christen the 2012 teams before the season starts?

In which case, I'm happy to start with a couple of nominations:
Saxobonk
GreenDregs
:eek::D

Radioshack in its previous incarnation - RetirementShack

I like RetirementSchleck. I've also seen ReNTBoys.

Garmin - Alarmin' Garmin. I always thought it referred to the (sadly missed) Argyll, but I might be wrong there.