• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Sky. The all clean team!

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

Clemson Cycling said:
What are you talking about?

the fact that those four riders are members of bike pure.. which i beleive at 4 is more than any other pro tour team (cervelo have 3 at last count)

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
the fact that those four riders are members of bike pure.. which i beleive at 4 is more than any other pro tour team (cervelo have 3 at last count)
Ok I am sorry. I was not familiar with the organization until I just did a second ago when I did a google search.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
A read of the website and all I can gather is that they may or may not wear a blue wristband whilst racing. And the mission statement doesn't really say anything about how they are going to achieve their goals.

A

Anonymous

Ibanez said:
A read of the website and all I can gather is that they may or may not wear a blue wristband whilst racing. And the mission statement doesn't really say anything about how they are going to achieve their goals.

wristband and head spacer.. bike pure is a bit of a weird one, but basically riders who are members have made a moral pledge that they will not ride with assistance from PED's.. if a bike pure rider was to fail a test they would, well, dunno, come across as the biggest arsehole in the history of cycling.. Bikepure are also fighting for 4 year and life bans, better independant testing, bans for management and team staff etc etc

By the looks of it, Bikepure is a commercial organisation that jumped on the I Support Drug Free Sport bandwagon started by Lionel Birnie of Cycle Sport a few years ago. Seems to be a bit of a joke to be honest but if it makes people feel happy then fair play to them. It is as much a method of identifying clean riders as it is a tiger repellent.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
wristband and head spacer.. bike pure is a bit of a weird one, but basically riders who are members have made a moral pledge that they will not ride with assistance from PED's.. if a bike pure rider was to fail a test they would, well, dunno, come across as the biggest arsehole in the history of cycling.. Bikepure are also fighting for 4 year and life bans, better independant testing, bans for management and team staff etc etc
That has never prevented people from doping in the past

bobbins said:
By the looks of it, Bikepure is a commercial organisation that jumped on the I Support Drug Free Sport bandwagon started by Lionel Birnie of Cycle Sport a few years ago. Seems to be a bit of a joke to be honest but if it makes people feel happy then fair play to them. It is as much a method of identifying clean riders as it is a tiger repellent.

Nice analogy.:D

A

Anonymous

dimspace said:
I think everyone is cycnical, throughout cycling.. but you can read to much into things.. one thing to bear in mind, team sky is being run like no other team ever has.. the week in manchester they spend doing dietary lessons, phsyco head babble and all that stuff, they each got given a laptop, they are very different.

personally i think the way they have involved the british public, there is simply too much to lose if there was a scandal..

Or they could be going the Armstrong route and coming in so big that they can use their "importance to cycling" as a way to deflect the UCI.

Fully agree

I want to believe. I really want to believe. And I think their intention at the moment is to be clean.

However, they've put themselves under a lot of pressure to perform with all the "unique approach" stuff. Give it a couple of years, maybe Brailsford has realised the road is not the track, maybe Murdoch is looking a return for his investment before deciding whether to renew sponsorship...

Whilst there is nothing of substance about Bikepure in reality, there are not any real top, top pros on there. I think these guys are just saying well we signed up to this on moral principles so if we test positive, we will look like even bigger assholes that those who make no such commitment. For me, the guys who are signed up to Bikepure are more believable than any of those teams with internal anti-doping programme. As always though, I will say I never believe in anybody 100%.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
If they want a Briton to win the Tour in the next five years they are going to have to bend the edges a bit and still hope it fits. All the top teams (with the possible exception of Garmin) do it.

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Whilst I don't want to buy into conspiracy theory I am a bit skeptical about a team that is ultimately owned by Rupert Murdoch. Even David Millar alluded to this in an interview with velocitynation. Has Murdoch's money made the NFL, the Premier League or Serie A cleaner? Whether it is doping or anything else we certainly shouldn't be expecting the highest of moral standards from a megalomaniac who once said dictatorships are sometimes a good thing.

A

Anonymous

bobbins said:
t

the joys of cycling.. everyone wants a clean sport, or at least a cleaner sport, so an organisation comes forward that wants to do something about it, and they are written off as being commercial, or innefectual...

you really cannot ****ing win!

everyone wants clean teams a cleaner sport, yet nobody does cos then what would you all have to ****ing moan about!

it really is a damned if you do damned if you dont..

Sky clean..? nice try? but everyone else is doping so if they want to compete they will have to...?

way to go, that really is how to drive ****ing cycling forward isnt it..

At some point the cynacism has to cease and you have to give it a chance..

They have good intentions but they have a perform or you're out philosophy and I think we all know where that can ultimately lead to. Some of the staff are teflon coated and I'm sure Dave B will ensure any transgressions are sorted in-house before any scandal could happen,

A

Anonymous

bobbins said:
They have good intentions but they have a perform or you're out philosophy and I think we all know where that can ultimately lead to. Some of the staff are teflon coated and I'm sure Dave B will ensure any transgressions are sorted in-house before any scandal could happen,

i dont think they have a perform or your out attitude... DB has said each rider has a potential. the team know what that potential is. It is the managements job to help them reach their potential.

seems to be the responsibility is on the management not the riders.. the riders just ride, the management help them..

of course you could read into that the management are going to work out their program for them.. ;)

dimspace said:
I think everyone is cycnical, throughout cycling.. but you can read to much into things.. one thing to bear in mind, team sky is being run like no other team ever has.. the week in manchester they spend doing dietary lessons, phsyco head babble and all that stuff, they each got given a laptop, they are very different.

Oh, Jeebus! You sound like sound like one of these guys in a financial bubble who claims this time it's different.

A

Anonymous

hfer07 said:
Team sky clean?
I prefer to be called pessimist because I chose to be informed, rather than an optimist who is blinded by ignorance....

Informed? Informed that Team Sky are doping by whom? Or do you mean you are making assumptions as you are blinded by cynicism?

Ok, as soon as one of their riders tests positive, fine. But until then, can we not just have some faith?

A

Anonymous

I just think theres two ways we can do this...

a new team comes along that says that they want to do it clean, and whom it is in fact known has turned down riders with less than pure profiles... they want to do thinks differently, prepare differntly, race differently etc..

we can do two things.

Go along with it, while maintaining a certain amount of suspicion and hoping that they can do the right thing, be different and potentially revolutionise cycling, or..

we can come out with the same old cynasism, say we dont beleive them, say they will dope just like the rest but cover it up better, hide it better, have better PED's and fire the riders that dont dope..

If we are always going to choose the latter is there really any point being cycling fans.

Its like bikepure, they are trying to make a difference, yet get blasted for either not being effective, or bandwagon jumping, or being commerical, or being worthless..

WHAT IS THE ****ING POINT?

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:
Oh, Jeebus! You sound like sound like one of these guys in a financial bubble who claims this time it's different.

But if nobody ever tries to be different, and if none of us ever believe it can be different....

HOW THE **** IS IT EVER GOING TO BE DIFFERENT...

With all respect bro, you are almost like those you hate.. there is almost a forum omerta. A group of individuals stuck in the past who almost dont want things to change.

I think there are people here who probably know more about PED's and vo2, and autogulous blood thingies than they do about the actual sport..

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
clean.. who knows..? Theyve got more bike pure members i beleive than any other pro tour team, for what that means.. John Lee Augustyn, Froome, Russ DOwning, Steve Cummings (interestingly 3 former barloworld riders).. i expect a couple more may join up..

personally i think the way they have involved the british public, there is simply too much to lose if there was a scandal..

but of course i dont count out anything..
but Taylor Phinney was sporting a "Dopers' Suck!" cap at Worlds, and he is best mates with Armstrong. You cant have both.

dimspace said:
I just think theres two ways we can do this...

a new team comes along that says that they want to do it clean, and whom it is in fact known has turned down riders with less than pure profiles... they want to do thinks differently, prepare differntly, race differently etc..

we can do two things.

Go along with it, while maintaining a certain amount of suspicion and hoping that they can do the right thing, be different and potentially revolutionise cycling, or..

we can come out with the same old cynasism, say we dont beleive them, say they will dope just like the rest but cover it up better, hide it better, have better PED's and fire the riders that dont dope..

If we are always going to choose the latter is there really any point being cycling fans.

Its like bikepure, they are trying to make a difference, yet get blasted for either not being effective, or bandwagon jumping, or being commerical, or being worthless..

WHAT IS THE ****ING POINT?

Totally agree with you on this Dim. Sky have not even started and they are being hammered about doping and well I just dont get it. You really wonder what they are supposed to say. Maybe the cynical guys can tell us what they want to hear or see from a new team.

I think most people would know I am not oblivious to what is going on in regards to doping but I really hate this whole everybody is doing it without fail or the minute anybody does anything, they are doping big time. I have had debates before on this subject and the cynicism is unreal.

The French teams have hardly had any doping controversies over the last decade with the exception of Cofidis. With the rate people have been busted over the last decade, surely some guys from teams like Boguyes Telecom/ Lfdjeux should have been caught if they were up to something or is it possible that the smaller funded teams have better doping programmes than the big guys or maybe its a conspiracy protecting the French teams.

I will address and question the trolls or uninformed when they make silly claims about people not doping so I will do it for the cynics also, BroDeal, Race Radio, Hugh Anus and whoever else. Why have no guys from Boguyes/Lfdjeux been busted if they are all doping? On the flipside, if they are clean and capable of winning stages and placing riders close to the Top 10 in the Tour, why can other riders or teams not do the same cleanly?

And dont give me this crap about doping less in a generalised manner, I want to know what they would be doing to get them decent rides on lesser doping and what are they taking that is not detectable. What products and how would it be possible for them to come anywhere near the guys on the big programmes. If you guys cannot give direct straight up answers, then maybe you all should give it a rest. Answers please?

A

Anonymous

blackcat said:
but Taylor Phinney was sporting a "Dopers' Suck!" cap at Worlds, and he is best mates with Armstrong. You cant have both.

I don't know what to make of Taylor Phinney. There's the Armstrong connection, and I'm sure his father isn't ignorant of what goes on. It's a shame to damn someone by association, but...

I guess, like Sky, all we can do is give him the benefit of the doubt until somethings strongly suggests/proves otherwise.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Sky get hammered because Brailsford has sold Sky on back of GB Cycling.

Fans and fanbois alike, conflate Sky and GB.

GB track team, sold as clean. I doubt anyone on the Olympics team for GB were clean. But not to excoriate one group or nationality, they were only doing what you gotta do, and none tested positive, so they keep their medals and endorsements with a big smile.

Wiggo was not clean at the Tour, but I don't think he was on a program as comprehensive as Contador and StrongArm, nor Andy Schleck.

Sky should be accountable, as DB has issue much spin and high rhetoric about ethics, which frankly is a bunch of BS.

Sky are only stepping their foot into the world of cycling, and doping comes with the territory, no specific indictment as is.