• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Team Visma LAB

Page 63 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Can we please wait at least an hour or so before making unfalsifiable insinuations in the Clinic

Also the literal quote in Sporza is "volgens de politie zou hij mogelijk een hartaanval gekregen hebben", which is quite a bit softer and less certain than "the police said he had a heart attack"
Yes, it is a bit in poor taste to speculate on that after having just heard it.

However, out of curiousity, how many riders is it now that have had heart issues in the past couple of years? How does those numbers add up to the "normal" ratio/percentages to heart diseases in the population?

In other sports there has been things happening as well related to heart issues. I feel like the amount of cases has increased, hasnt it? I dont have data to back that. Just feel like you have heard it more and by events.

One can wonder what is happening and if there are any underlining reasons for it, but most important is that he will be alright for now though.

Yes, it is a bit in poor taste to speculate on that after having just heard it.

However, out of curiousity, how many riders is it now that have had heart issues in the past couple of years? How does those numbers add up to the "normal" ratio/percentages to heart diseases in the population?

In other sports there has been things happening as well related to heart issues. I feel like the amount of cases has increased, hasnt it? I dont have data to back that. Just feel like you have heard it more and by events.

One can wonder what is happening and if there are any underlining reasons for it, but most important is that he will be alright for now though.
"there is growing evidence that long-term endurance exercise may increase the risk of developing [atrial fibrillation], with a reported 2–10 times greater prevalence in athletes and those who are involved in long-term sport participation"

• Sad
Reactions: yaco and noob
Naturally, heart anomalies can happen to anyone and may its likelihood may increase by the incredible demand of pro cycling. Due to the year that Jumbo is having and the recent doping case they had, I just think that it is also reasonable to correlate this situation with the dangers of doping. The only important thing is that Nathan gets through this event.
I think this is to be talked about. But I think one has to wait a couple of days.

Nah, no amount of time will make framing the debate like that ok. Unless we have access to the actual medical reports, there's no way for us to know whether any individual case was due to a congenital condition, to PED abuse or to any other reason. Talking about individual, named people in this kind of discussion is inherently disrespectful unless you actually have very good reason to suspect PEDs were involved (as in, not just that they were present in the body but that they actually caused or contributed to the heart attack). The only way to do this ethically (and I agree that it is a discussion that should be had, just without automatically shouting that PEDs killed X and Y at the slightest provocation) is to speak in general terms and talk about statistics, about the relative prevalence of heart attacks in professional sports compared to amateur sports and to the general population, about actual scientific papers on the effects of PEDs on the human body, etc etc etc. That should never be done in a thread for a specific team or rider

Nah, no amount of time will make framing the debate like that ok. Unless we have access to the actual medical reports, there's no way for us to know whether any individual case was due to a congenital condition, to PED abuse or to any other reason. Talking about individual, named people in this kind of discussion is inherently disrespectful unless you actually have very good reason to suspect PEDs were involved (as in, not just that they were present in the body but that they actually caused or contributed to the heart attack). The only way to do this ethically (and I agree that it is a discussion that should be had, just without automatically shouting that PEDs killed X and Y at the slightest provocation) is to speak in general terms and talk about statistics, about the relative prevalence of heart attacks in professional sports compared to amateur sports and to the general population, about actual scientific papers on the effects of PEDs on the human body, etc etc etc. That should never be done in a thread for a specific team or rider
And we have such a general thread: https://forum.cyclingnews.com/threa...s-something-going-on-or-is-this-normal.33323/

Reactions: noob
Is this sort of a discussion about heart problems and flat tires and some are suggesting and arguing that they can be predicted.. If you have a heart problem it can be that day, that minute without warning. It can just happen there doesn't need to be a big conspiracy theory about a bunch of ignored data predictions about the issue. For Christ's sake give the guy a break.. From a coma kinda hard to hear his version of things

Reactions: SHAD0W93
This is a clickbait article. The quote is actually from a podcast Poels does together with Van Baarle, and he said it more jokingly. He didn't blame Jumbo at all.

Presumably the writer of this article speaks Dutch, and deliberately omitted this information. Anything to stir controversy, same thing with the Jerome Pineau story as well, of course. These "journalists" know better, they just want the clicks.