• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Team Visma - Lease a Bike

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

SoigneurNL said:
This might be the most depressing GT TLJ have had a propper GC rider in in years
today finally finished it tho.

Wow.

They went into the Giro with no ambition, ended up with Kruijswijk almost winning, probably would have had it with more team support
Then they went in to the Tour with a plan for Groenewegen en Kelderman as free role kinda guy. Kelderman fell and Groenewegen found out that sprinting in the Tour is different. So another plan failed
Then they went to the Vuelta fully committed to Kruijswijk.. And now Kruijswijk got sick before the start and eventually fell out hard today.

LottoNL had made some poor choices but also abysmal luck once again. :lol:

It's incompetence. After 2015 they must've forced at least ONE out of Gesink or Kelderman to slave for Kruijswijk first at the Giro! Groenenwegen certainly could've won a Tour stage in the matter of Erik Dekker instead of challenging the big guns in the sprints.

That they ever fired Erik Breukink is just hilarious. He must've been the only sports director around at that team with some tactical sense.

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
SoigneurNL said:
This might be the most depressing GT TLJ have had a propper GC rider in in years
today finally finished it tho.

Wow.

They went into the Giro with no ambition, ended up with Kruijswijk almost winning, probably would have had it with more team support
Then they went in to the Tour with a plan for Groenewegen en Kelderman as free role kinda guy. Kelderman fell and Groenewegen found out that sprinting in the Tour is different. So another plan failed
Then they went to the Vuelta fully committed to Kruijswijk.. And now Kruijswijk got sick before the start and eventually fell out hard today.

LottoNL had made some poor choices but also abysmal luck once again. :lol:

If a rider or a team keeps having abysmal luck, is it still luck or is it someting else?

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Re:

staubsauger said:
It's incompetence. After 2015 they must've forced at least ONE out of Gesink or Kelderman to slave for Kruijswijk first at the Giro! Groenenwegen certainly could've won a Tour stage in the matter of Erik Dekker instead of challenging the big guns in the sprints.

That they ever fired Erik Breukink is just hilarious. He must've been the only sports director around at that team with some tactical sense.

Breukink... I miss him. 2010 - 2012 were relative good years for Rabo.

Re:

sir fly said:
I understand the salbutamolgate is the biggest off-season topic, but this one deserves some attention, as well.

Far more entertaining news.
Wonder whether they were sent home 'cause of not sharing with team...

...bet it was some heavy indica.

I doubt Tolhoek did it fully aware of the consequences. If 3 riders (Including 2 who are on the second year with the squad) don't know the rules, you wonder if they communicated sufficiently about this subject.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

GenericBoonenFan said:
sir fly said:
I understand the salbutamolgate is the biggest off-season topic, but this one deserves some attention, as well.

Far more entertaining news.
Wonder whether they were sent home 'cause of not sharing with team...

...bet it was some heavy indica.

I doubt Tolhoek did it fully aware of the consequences. If 3 riders (Including 2 who are on the second year with the squad) don't know the rules, you wonder if they communicated sufficiently about this subject.

It's in their contracts...

This is probably 10% about non-approved sleeping medication and 90% about the fact they couldn't even awake Lobato and had to call an ambulance. This isn't even a true clinic issue, because it looks more like a case of dependency. You've to take quite a load of Tavor, Zolpidem or Lorazepam to literally narcotize yourself if I'm well informed. At least since the body builds up some tolerance against the pharmaceutical ingredient and won't work as good anymore. Remember the Heath Ledger case? Lobato probably could've killed himself accidentally as well.

(Feel free to move this post into a new clinic topic if it's better placed there moderators.)

Re:

staubsauger said:
This is probably 10% about non-approved sleeping medication and 90% about the fact they couldn't even awake Lobato and had to call an ambulance. This isn't even a true clinic issue, because it looks more like a case of dependency. You've to take quite a load of Tavor, Zolpidem or Lorazepam to literally narcotize yourself if I'm well informed. At least since the body builds up some tolerance against the pharmaceutical ingredient and won't work as good anymore. Remember the Heath Ledger case? Lobato probably could've killed himself accidentally as well.

(Feel free to move this post into a new clinic topic if it's better placed there moderators.)

It wasn't lorazepam, it was lormetazepam, benzo-class but way more hypnotic. insomnia med
you also don't have to take a lot to trip at all, you just have to fight the urge to sleep. then funny things happen that you will never remember of.
but the serious case is that they combined all that benzo stuff with alcohol. this combo can be deadly even in not big doses.

you're right that it would have been dealt internally if not for lobato scaring the shiit out of them. there are few things scarier than trying to wake up a person who seems in a coma

to me it doesn't seem like these guys had experience with these meds at all, more likely stupid noobs.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Lobato is gonna be fired, tomorrow there will be more news about Tolhoek and Eenkhoorn. That's something quite different to how the Murdoch sponsored criminal organisation called Team Sky does business.

Re:

Der Effe said:
Lobato is gonna be fired, tomorrow there will be more news about Tolhoek and Eenkhoorn. That's something quite different to how the Murdoch sponsored criminal organisation called Team Sky does business.
On the other hand, if a rider takes strong doses of sleeping pills, he probably has a problem. I would have hoped that the team shows a bit more support than simply firing him. Take Paolini as an example of how big a sleeping problem can get. I hope Lobato can resolve his issues and continue normal cycling pro life without having to seeking refuge in sleep medication.

PeterB said:
Der Effe said:
On the other hand, if a rider takes strong doses of sleeping pills, he probably has a problem. I would have hoped that the team shows a bit more support than simply firing him. Take Paolini as an example of how big a sleeping problem can get. I hope Lobato can resolve his issues and continue normal cycling pro life without having to seeking refuge in sleep medication.

Apparently we all forget that Tolhoek was the one who brought in the medication and distributed them, or was what I read "fake news"? (Honest Question here)

Cyclingnews states it was in fact Lobato himself who distributed the sleeping pills. If he really took Zolpidem and Lormetazepam together that's kinda scary IMHO. No matter whether he took them with or without alcohol.

Major issue with sleeping pills is that doctors prefer to prescribe benzodiazepines or Zolpidem rather than better working barbiturates, because like in the case of the late Phyllis Hyman one can still kill himself with a barbiturate overdose. Benzodiazepines got some sort of protective mechanism nowadays that makes you upchuck the agent instead I believe.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site

PeterB said:
Der Effe said:

I fully agree with you on that, I really hope that, if necessary, he gets the help he needs.